• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S19 EP06: The Legend of the Ninja Hero!

It's nice to finally see Sanpei's village.

Alright, Ninja Bonnie's back! I'm glad they remembered that outfit. Lol, at that old man flirting with the young chick. Is he trying to be Jiraiya? The hell, what is it with these people transforming into logs? Nice to see another proposal. I've said this a million times, but I really like how they space this gag out. It doesn't seem nearly as overdone and annoying. WTF, Shinobu is really 100 years old? Well, I guess if I was 100 and could shape shift my body to look super young, I'd do it too:p At least that would make the flirting seem less creepy.

The battle was okay for it's length. But was that Night Slash actually just a purple version of the new cut? Well, I guess it sort of makes sense. Guess that'll make it much more likely to give to Ash's Greninja later on if he actually does learn it. Wow, this village really loves vanishing techniques. And how the hell did Venesaur get underground that fast? Lol, nice Solar Beam to the face though.

Damn, those Pokemask dudes are really creepy. Aw, Dedenne was being so cute, sliding around on the floor and jumping around. Though it was kind of odd as to why he was doing it in the first place. It's like he knew he'd fall through the damn floor and wanted to. Wow, Bonnie just jumped down that hole with no second though. And Clemont falling through was hilarious. Good thing Sanpei's brothers just so happened to be down there, coincidentally standing in the perfect spots to catch Bonnie, Dedenne, and Squishy. And lol at Serena falling on top of Clemont.

Man, why did Shinobu have to stop Serena from following Ash? She needs to get into the action too. I find something really funny about the fact that the village is being attacked by a bunch of bug, steel, flying, and dark types and the villagers seem to have nothing but grass and water-types. They specifically had a Simisage and Simipour, yet oddly enough no Simisear. Hopefully those monkeys have some fighting moves. And I'd say at least Serena has Braxien and Pancham, but she's a bit tied up at the moment. Which probably would have been avoided if Shinobu just let her follow Ash:/

Whatever. Overall this was a pretty cool episode for the most part. Could have done without TR though. I'll give it a 7/10.

Fantastic. Just... wow. This was a GREAT episode, for so many reasons.

Let's start with Sanpei. His character has always been wonderful. He's definitely my favorite rival in the XY series, although sadly this is only his third appearance. I love how he tries and fails to sneak up on Ash and company, because that's a good way to show how much stronger Ash's Frogadier has gotten. Sanpei's relationship with his brothers is wonderful as well - I don't know how many others noticed this, but I think it's a great touch how Sanpei talks much more formally to his older brothers than he does to the rest of the village. When he greeted them, he was extremely courteous, and it's nice to see how much respect he has for them. The battle between Sanpei and Nihei was particularly fun because I think the creators of the show really made the effort to show how different a "ninja" battle is from a normal battle, and it worked - it was so much different from any battle Ash has ever had.

I love Bonnie so much. I cannot express enough how much her character adds to this show. She was once again given some great lines - "Ninja-Bonnie" made me laugh out loud. Also, while the "keeper" gag is getting old, it was still hilarious to see Clemont and Bonnie react to finding out that Shinobu is a hundred years old. Clemont's face in particular was priceless there. :) And while we're talking about things that were adorable about this episode, Hanzo also had some great comedy moments. Also, Clemont's "excuse me, that's my line" after following Bonnie down the chute was one of the best things I've heard from him in a while.

The story in this episode is much more interesting than the storylines from past episodes. I know the main conflict didn't really heat up until the very end, but everything building up to it kept me interested and kept me entertained, and next week's episode is hopefully going to be just as good. None of the characters are really bland, like CoTDs are prone to be, and they all contribute something or other. There's nothing that happens in this episode that's just a waste of screen time - even Team Rocket's appearance, although in the end the only thing they did in this episode was trap Serena and Shinobu by accident. Kagetomo is much more intimidating than Team Rocket could ever be, which is a nice change of pace in the anime. It's always a treat to have a villain more dangerous than the usual stooges.

I also really appreciate that everyone from Ninja Village has the same English name as Japanese name. That's a nice touch to the episode, and it makes the Ninja Village setting feel a lot more realistic.

Basically, the reason I love this episode is that it has a really good balance of action and humor. The little touches that they put in - Bonnie's ninja outfit, Dedenne and Squishy being cute with the trap door, even the fact that they took time to have two nameless characters give orders to their Pokémon to fight back so that it's not just Ippei and Nihei battling the Skarmory - really make it fun to watch. 10/10.

I really like this episode so much and it is for many reasons: 1. I like the music because it felt very ninja-like and that it sounds almost like how I would hear it in Japanese and also the ending scene was just perfect for what's to come. 2. I like that the Dub kept all Japanese names and that it feels like were really in a ninja village. 3. I was also thinking about if how 4kids did this what would be changed and I'd assume almost everything because it felt so Japanese and yes I am aware that they would remove all references to that because Americanization but hey just a thought. 4. Definitely without a doubt one of the better XYZ episodes because all of them were filler and kind of not worth your time minus EP 1 of course. Next week looks very promising because a certain something is going to happen and it will be amazing:) Plus the battles in this EP and the next one are/will be so good! So I will give this my final score of a 10/10(y)

That was a really good episode, wish they would've aired it as a two in one day special since we're so far behind anyway because I really want to watch the next one and not wait a whole week. I know we already knew Ippei had a Venusaur, but I was just thinking its a pretty strange choice for a ninja because it has no speed, but it was cool how they used Petal Dance for conceal and did it use dig? We know that isn't impossible in the anime as Bulbasaur did it way back when. I was hoping for a showdown before the kidnapping, but I guess we wait til next week for that. They are making Serena seem awfully helpless lately, she better get involved in the battle next week. If she has learned anything from Ash so far she should realize that if she wants to go help him she shouldn't listen to the person telling her to stop. Anyway I could complain every week about the lack of Serena and Clemont getting involved in battles, but all in all this was a very good episode.

That was a really good episode, wish they would've aired it as a two in one day special since we're so far behind anyway because I really want to watch the next one and not wait a whole week. I know we already knew Ippei had a Venusaur, but I was just thinking its a pretty strange choice for a ninja because it has no speed, but it was cool how they used Petal Dance for conceal and did it use dig? We know that isn't impossible in the anime as Bulbasaur did it way back when. I was hoping for a showdown before the kidnapping, but I guess we wait til next week for that. They are making Serena seem awfully helpless lately, she better get involved in the battle next week. If she has learned anything from Ash so far she should realize that if she wants to go help him she shouldn't listen to the person telling her to stop. Anyway I could complain every week about the lack of Serena and Clemont getting involved in battles, but all in all this was a very good episode.
Nihei has a Venusaur. Ippei also has a Greninja.

I agree with the users before me that it was a great episode and an even greater way of building up suspense. I for one have always been in favour of two or three-parters because if you really want to write an exciting, complex story, 20 minutes are just not enough. And building this story around ninjas that are fascinating characters per se, makes the whole thing even better.

Two things that I need to criticise about the battle, though:
First, when being attacked with Night Slash, Venausaur, according to the village elder, quickly deflected the move with its vines. I watched the scene twice and immediately after Venausar was pushed back by the immense impact of the attack, you couldn't see any vines at all. Usually, those come out of Venausaur's sides (at least that's how it's always been the case so far) and if it had really used them to defend itself, we should at least have seen parts of the vines outside of Venausaur's body. What I want to say is I don't think it's plausible that Venausaur could hide away its vines that quickly and immediatley after being hit. So, the explanation why Venasusaut hardly took any damage came out of nowhere and unnecessarily made Sanpei look stupid if you ask me.
Second, Solar Beam definitely needs some time to charge up. If that particular Venausaur was so exceptionally well-trained that it doesn't need the time to charge up, somebody should have mentioned it because the way the move was used didn't feel right.

But apart from those points mentioned above, it was an awesome episode. I'm curious to see how the story will develop and , of course, I'm also waiting for the big moment. We all know what will finally happen ;)
Really looking forward to next week!

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom