• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview XY119: Rival Showdown! Satoshi VS Shōta!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Playerking

Not-well known member.
Reaction score
XY119: Rival Showdown! Satoshi VS Shota!!
Airs: May 12

Here are some images from the episode.

FbI5S5M.jpg

Courtesy to Dephender for the translation of the title.

Here are some summaries and bits of information from the episode, courtesy of Dephender. There are also some new images from the episode.

vFd8oXD.png
JBpZ0O9.png

From the first image.

Ash & Greninja. The 4 battles of their trial!!

Four incredible opponents stand in the way of Ash, who has his aim at competing in the Kalos League! Together with Greninja, he takes on these four battles:

* The Mega Trainer aiming to be the strongest!
Alain & Mega Charizard

* The Kalos Region Champion!
Dianatha and Mega Gardevoir

* The Intelligent Trainer!
Sawyer and Sceptile

* The Gym Leader of Snowbelle Gym!
Wulfric and Abomsnow

Ash Greninja holds the key!
Will he be able to master this power that's shrouded in mystery!?

From the other image.

Battle 3: Sawyer and Sceptile

Sawyer looks up to Ash and has assembled experience from lots of battles. He has had Ash as his goal for some time now, and is challenging him to a third battle!!

In their last battle...
Ash and Greninja won!
Sawyer's Sceptile fought with an advantage, but Ash Greninja still defeated it with a single blow.

"I will surpass Ash one day!"

How will this episode's battle go?

Sawyer's strategy is well thought out and executed!!
Sawyer, who has researched Ash as much as possible, proposes a 3-on-3 match. But will his strategy work out!?

As long as Satoshi loses here (so he can win at the league...) I'll be happy :)

If he's apparently backing Diantha into a corner as the last episode's translation suggests, then I honestly doubt that Sawyer's going to be a significant obstacle here.

I agree completely. Ash is pretty much smashing Sawyer in the preview, so I doubt Sawyer could somehow bring it back.

I just don't know how Sawyer will beat Ash now and then win. It just seems weird to me. But I cannot wait for this episode!
Yeah, I already pointed this out so many times but people is just like: Ash must lose now or he will lose in the league.

Having explained so many times I am bored to even point out how flawed that logic is.

As long as Satoshi loses here (so he can win at the league...) I'll be happy :)

I think if I am the writer I will just serve Ash a two in a row (include league) lose to Shota just to prove how wrong this logic is.

Because whatever you will try to prove, the logic is whatever the writers wanted to write, if they want Ash to beat Shota every single time, they can do it.

Last edited:
So now Sawyer's team consist of Sceptile, Shelgon, Slurpuff, Doublade and Clawitzer, mmm he's getting quite ready for the league.

Perhaps Sawyer pulls out a his secret weapon of Mega-Sceptile. Know keystone is shown from the preview but it is possible that Sceptile is hiding it somewhere and would be able to defeat Ash again.

I think if I am the writer I will just serve Ash a two in a row (include league) lose to Shota just to prove how wrong this logic is.

Because whatever you will try to prove, the logic is whatever the writers wanted to write, if they want Ash to beat Shota every single time, they can do it.
You are, of course, right in a sense. We have had rivals who we've never seen win, there are people Satoshi has never beaten and every shade in between. The writers can do whatever the hell they like.

BUT
Shouta is being treated as Satoshi's main league rival. Based on a bit of gestalt feeling, I would hedge my bets that either:
1. We need to perceive Shouta as a strong contender before he gets beaten at the league. In order for us to feel this way about him we need to see him beat Satoshi at least once.
2. Shouta is improving at a faster rate than Satoshi and he peaks just when it matters - at the league.

Otherwise what would be the point from a storytelling POV?

Since Greninja is confirmed to be battling, I really just hope Ash doesn't use Hawlucha and Pikachu again. They both fought Sawyer in every battle they've had. I hope for Talonflame and Noivern. Noivern could use more battles in general and seeing Talonflame outside of a gym would be nice.

I cannot take Sawyer as a serious rival when he keeps getting thrashed by Ash.

I cannot take Sawyer as a serious rival when he keeps getting thrashed by Ash.

And then people complain about Ash losing to that freak (I don't even want to remember his name) in Unova despite being a newbie. Paul is a veteran trainer so Ash losing to him after three (or 4 if Orange Island counted) major adventures sounds believable. And now people are complaining about him not losing to a newbie? Double standard much?

The point of Shota is how much he improves, if he went from being clean swept to losing 5-6 to Ash its already too big of an improvement as he just managed to catch up with Ash's 6 adventure experience. I'd say it makes complete sense for me that Shota just will not beat Ash.

Don't even bring up the point about Ash's "reset". When they gave us the continuity we always wanted and won't stop complaining about, take it. Stop being like: "They never gave use continuity and why give me now? I want Ash to lose."

And then people complain about Ash losing to that freak (I don't even want to remember his name) in Unova despite being a newbie. Paul is a veteran trainer so Ash losing to him after three (or 4 if Orange Island counted) major adventures sounds believable. And now people are complaining about him not losing to a newbie? Double standard much?

The point of Shota is how much he improves, if he went from being clean swept to losing 5-6 to Ash its already too big of an improvement as he just managed to catch up with Ash's 6 adventure experience. I'd say it makes complete sense for me that Shota just will not beat Ash.

Don't even bring up the point about Ash's "reset". When they gave us the continuity we always wanted and won't stop complaining about, take it. Stop being like: "They never gave use continuity and why give me now? I want Ash to lose."

I think Sawyer will lose to Ash in the top 8 (after a hard fought battle of course) so Ash moves to the top 4 and loses to a league introduced rival or Alain, who knows.

So Sawyer is NOT in next week's episode afterall and he's battling Ash here. I think he'll show some improvement, but Idoubt he'll win, then come back stronger than ever in the league. He's gonna beat Ash someday and I'd rather it be in the league. Tbh I like Sawyer and if there's anyone I'd be more than happy to see beat him, its Sawyer. He's no gary stu plot device like Tobias, no complete idiot like Cameron, or an asshole borderline gary stu like Alain.

So Sawyer has a Clawitzer now? I think Ash might win again. Really haven't seen any indication of Sawyer winning any time soon.

These next couple of episodes are literally back to back battles for Ash. As for Sawyer, he's most likely going to get thrashed again. Though kudos to his pretty substantial looking team. I'm interested to see how Doublade will be animated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom