• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Sony, Warner Bros., Legendary Pictures battle for Pokémon movie rights: The Hollywood...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BulbaBot

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur
Reaction score
Sony, Warner Bros., Legendary Pictures battle for Pokémon movie rights: The Hollywood Reporter ...

Film rights up for auction by The Pokémon Company.

Continue reading...

I feel that if Legendary wins, the movie will be aimed at mature audiences when comparing it to some of their recent productions. I would love for a live-action movie to be sucessful, but I'm just worried if it would get enough watchers. Pokemon has the 'childish' description by a lot of people now, so I'm not sure how much it would appeal to non-fans.

^ Mario was also game-wise super childish (or in a better wording, children-friendly). Look at how did its live-action movie turned out to be...

In any case, if this live-action movie is to be produced by any of the Western film makers, I'll bet with all my money that it will definitely be much much MUCH more adult-orientated than its original work. Because the Western film makers doesn't know how to make a "light-hearted children-friendly" action movie with Real-Life actors.

If this movie os going to happen anyway, it'd be better if Legendary made it, they made a nice job with Godzilla. The other two have a terrible history with live-action adaptations.

Last edited:
I plan don't want this to happen. I don't want any of these studios to acquire film rights and produce a westernized, live-action film that will in all likelihood only smear Pokemon's name. I don't know why TPCi decided to do this. They already have an anime with movies coming out annually. No good can come out of this. I was hoping before that this was just some rumor, but now I'm not so sure.

Granted, just because a studio obtains the rights and considers a making a movie out of it, doesn't mean it is guaranteed to happen. But given how aggressive the bidding is, the winner would probably make full use of it...

I don't know why TPCi decided to do this.

Probably to capitalize and cash in on the 20th Anniversary.

Though it would've been much more practical to have done this sooner to give studios time to make said movie to fit within a better time frame...

Granted, just because a studio obtains the rights and considers a making a movie out of it, doesn't mean it is guaranteed to happen. But given how aggressive the bidding is, the winner would probably make full use of it...

Yeah. Just a bidding war is happening doesn't mean the project will go all the way.
Though the other hand, the activity in it IS kind of suspicious...

Just a minor suggestion-the Bulbanews article could be more clear in that the original source mentions a live-action movie. From an initial reading it sounded like they were bidding on the rights for the existing animated film series.

Yeah I'm not happy about this. Mainly for reasons stated above, a westernised Pokemon movie would probably veer way too far from the source material to be any good in my eyes. It'll be even worse if this live action part is true. Did they learn nothing from the Mario Bros movie, Dragonball Evolution, and The Last Airbender!?

Just a minor suggestion-the Bulbanews article could be more clear in that the original source mentions a live-action movie. From an initial reading it sounded like they were bidding on the rights for the existing animated film series.
Yeah, that's also what I saw when reading it. We may want to clear that up.

The only thing I got to say to a live-action Pokemon flick produced by a western company is... yuck! I really hope this is just in regards to existing films being made in Japan.

Kinda funny how WB had the rights to Pokemon at first and now they want it back.

@Lone_Garurumon To be fair, The Last Airbender is a western show, but it just goes to show that a live-action movie of anything pretty much spells trouble. I don't think I've ever seen a live-action movie based off an animation or video game that was good. They all seem to want to give this edgy vibe to light-hearted, family friendly games and shows that just doesn't work. If a property is already dark to begin with, they tend to screw it up in some other way like making their own vision of what they saw in the original property, and usually it goes completely against the source material.

Some people here have gotten rather salty on the idea of a live-action/western Pokémon movie. The article hasn't said anything of the sort. The article writer has apparently forgotten that Nintendo and Sony aren't exactly on best grounds either.

Also, it's not hard at all to make something better than the Pokémon movies we have now. Those movies were lambasted by critics for good reason.

Last edited:
@Lone_Garurumon To be fair, The Last Airbender is a western show, but it just goes to show that a live-action movie of anything pretty much spells trouble. I don't think I've ever seen a live-action movie based off an animation or video game that was good. They all seem to want to give this edgy vibe to light-hearted, family friendly games and shows that just doesn't work. If a property is already dark to begin with, they tend to screw it up in some other way like making their own vision of what they saw in the original property, and usually it goes completely against the source material.

This is exactly the issue I have with this. Even movie adaptions that use full CGI with no live-action segments tend to do a very poor job, like the Astro Boy movie. Almost every attempt I have seen of adapting video games and sometimes cartoons to the big screen has massively failed or at least been dissatisfying., more often than not the former. It just seems like the big screen is incapable of producing a decent adaption that respects the original source material. You've already described the issues I have with many of them; edgy and "thriller" being two.

Let's not forget the 2015 movie Pixels. Though that's more worse-case scenario, which has happened.

Yesterday I read an article (on x website that I'm not gonna promote by mentioning) related to this subject. When I read the entirety of it, I was baffled on how these studios want to create a live-action Pokémon film. Seriously, how are they going to depict Chansey, Bellossom, Oddish and similar Pokémon (not "saying" that all these Pokémon are going to appear itself, just food for thought). I do not want to sound overly negative, but I honestly do not see this film being a good adaptation of the franchise. If they tried to make the movie dark and gritty, it'll inevitably be criticized on the Internet.

Given Batman v Superman, Godzilla(2014) and how Sony just gave up on Spiderman, I don't trust these companies with Pokemon but it can work in abstract. Hell a joke I made about a Miror. B movie is something I genuinely want to see now. Just have a tournament and stick to the tournament. Given how Adventures and Orre both prioritized fighting evil over the art of Pokemon training, it would be nice to do it the other way around and I doubt they can do both in two hours. A lot of people hate CGI in general but c'mon man Guardians of the Galaxy worked visually.

Sometimes I think it would be a great idea if Pixar made movies about 5 Nintendo franchises (Mario,The legend of Zelda, Starfox, Metroid and Pokémon ). I know some of you could argue it would be a bad idea. But it surely is better than what's happening right now.

Sometimes I think it would be a great idea if Pixar made movies about 5 Nintendo franchises (Mario,The legend of Zelda, Starfox, Metroid and Pokémon ). I know some of you could argue it would be a bad idea. But it surely is better than what's happening right now.
Not Pixar, but Wreck-It-Ralph was a pretty good movie that did give the games it featured some justice. Supposedly they want to incorporate Mario in the sequel.

Not Pixar, but Wreck-It-Ralph was a pretty good movie that did give the games it featured some justice. Supposedly they want to incorporate Mario in the sequel.
I think the reason Wreck-It-Ralph works is because it doesn't try to pretend to be anything else other than a movie about a video game.

It will pander to 90's nostalgia. The movie will be a genwunner's and original trio fans wet dream. It will be about Ash/Misty/Brock and probably have Mewtwo/Giovanni as the antagonists, and Ash won't be Asian but instead be cast by a white actor, and Misty will be played by Megan Fox. Brock will probably be played by a dark skinned actor.

So in a way the people who wanted to see Misty back or the original trio reunited will finally get what they wanted, albeit in live action. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom