• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S19 EP25: Championing a Research Battle!

I've been looking forward to seeing the dub of this episode, I really enjoy what they've been doing with the Ash-Greninja story.

I appreciated the opening scene with Diantha and Olympia - it's a good way to remind everyone that the prediction happened while still giving us more information. However, I'm a bit surprised that Diantha remembered Ash and his friends so readily - the last time they met, the only special thing that really happened was Ash battling against her because they shared their chocolate cake or something. Anyway, I like how she dropped in to check up on them. I also really like the glance the group exchanged when Diantha asked if anything unusual had been going on - it was a small little thing, but it showed how confused they all still were and how they began to realize that Greninja's transformation might mean something.

The battle between Greninja and Gardevoir was incredible. From start to finish, it was really well-animated and great fun to watch. I love Diantha and Gardevoir's connection with each other, and I also like how Greninja managed to land a hit before transforming even though it did very little to Gardevoir. Goodness... Greninja's final Ash-Greninja form is scary in its own way, and the animation when Ash was getting that much into the battle was both cool and a little bit freaky. Of course Ash passed out again, although I like how it happened later on this time - it shows how much stronger he has become since the last time he and Greninja transformed like that.

I'd have to say that I have two complaints about this episode: first of all, Team Rocket. Their presence wasn't needed except to give a little bit of forced exposition at the beginning. I was really happy they were absent for the battle between Ash and Alain, and was hoping the same would happen here. While they didn't interrupt the battle itself, the random attempt to kidnap Gardevoir was both unnecessary to the episode and also completely pathetic given the stuff they've come up with in Kalos so far. Really? They actually thought that would work? I feel like that might have been thrown in to show how powerful Gardevoir still was, despite almost losing to Greninja.

That brings me to my second problem with this episode: I don't care how powerful a form Ash-Greninja is, I think it did too much damage to Mega Gardevoir. I'm all for it being able to have landed a couple of hits, but it came very close to winning the battle and probably would have, had Ash not collapsed again. Sorry, but I think that's a bit too much - she's the Kalos Champion - and while Ash and Greninja have been working hard, to be sure, I really don't think they should have been able to stand up to Gardevoir quite that well.

Anyway, all in all, this episode was good, although Serena, Clemont, and Bonnie again ended up doing very little. Well, given the plot of the episode, that's kind of unavoidable, as it was all focused on Ash and Greninja anyway. By the way, I think it's really funny how Ash was trying to "catch up to Greninja" at the beginning of the episode. Good effort, but I don't think any human would be able to outspeed a Greninja anytime soon.

Great follow-up to the battle between Ash and Alain - 9/10.

Wow, Ash giving the champion a run for her money. Well that's something I never would have expected.

I thought it was nice to see Olympia also telling Diantha about the future issue with Zygarde. She still creeps me out though. Nice to see Ash still spending time working on his and Greninja's syncro-evo. Though at the same time, I'm kind of missing seeing the others. Lol, at Ash being all like "Oh, I can do that too." and then failing to jump through the trees properly. Well, Diantha sure knows how to make an entrance. I loved how her assistant was just like, "You have other stuff to do so hurry up and be careful". Similarly, Squishy sure can make a quick exit.

Awesome, Baby Clembot is back. So it seems once again Diantha starts of her battling playing the dodge game. I'm still amazed at how ridiculously fast Gardevoir is. She's so fast she can evade never miss moves:p The second half of the battle was great. Ash and Greninja actually managed to overpower MeGardevoir several times. Not to mention finally attacking without the water shroud. The only thing I really didn't like was Diantha's spamming a not very effective Shadow Ball, while only using the super effective Moonblast like once. I didn't really expect Ash to faint again initially. I thought Diantha would manage to turn the battle around and beat Ash before he could have overexerted himself. Then when he kept going "stronger, stronger, stronger", I was like 'Yep he's about to faint again'. Whatever, I suppose it's better that Ash didn't end up losing and was able to wear Gardevoir out. But lol, could Diantha have sounded any more unconcerned when Ash fainted. He hits the ground and she's just like, "What's wrong with Ash" in this dull-af voice.

As usual, my only problem was TR. Showing up just to get blasted 2 minutes later is never entertaining. Really excited to see more of Ash and Greninja's progress though. 9/10.

Good to be back on track.

Thus far, Ash vs Diantha is the best battle all saga.

Oh you don't even know what is next in Japan....

I don't watch the JP version, so no, I do not. Though I've been enlightened about it against my wishes.

Forgot to mention the music was great again, as usual, even though the Ash-Greninja transformation theme from "The Synchronicity Test!" (the one that sounded like a brilliant mix between Ash's dub theme and the instrumental mix of "Stand Tall") didn't reappear. Oh well.

I don't watch the JP version, so no, I do not. Though I've been enlightened about it against my wishes.

Forgot to mention the music was great again, as usual, even though the Ash-Greninja transformation theme from "The Synchronicity Test!" (the one that sounded like a brilliant mix between Ash's dub theme and the instrumental mix of "Stand Tall") didn't reappear. Oh well.
Kinda dissapointed they didn't use the song in this one, but I guess this one didn't need it and I'd argue Ash vs Alain battle is still best battle so far but who knows when we go later in how they'll treat us against Wulfric and next week with Sawyer even.

The only thing I really didn't like was Diantha's spamming a not very effective Shadow Ball, while only using the super effective Moonblast like once.
Well, Moonblast in the anime does have a noticeable wind-up time. Shadow Ball is simply a faster move in this free flowing series.

8/10, i wish they didnt take out her saying he would off won, but still good. that moto music is epic, wish it was for battles

I already commented on this episode when it aired in Japan, so I'll try to keep it short this time.
On the one hand, I was delighted to once again see that insanely powerful Ash-Greninja. This idea of trainer and Pokemon becoming one might be the best concept the writers have come up with since Infernape's Blaze ability. Hell, what an intense battle that was. I got really taken away during the last scenes and now I can imagine how it must feel for Ash. It sure was one of his best battles so far.
On the other hand, we saw what a weak "champion" Diantha is. First, all she did at the beginning was dodging and then she kept using Shadow Ball and Reflect again and again. She's supposed to be the Champion but this didn't feel like a battle against the strongest trainer of a region, but much more like an intense training battle. I mean this was basically a one -man-show (or I should say a one-Pokemon-show) and Gardevoir was reduced to Greninja's sparring partner. For a champion, Diantha is really a letdown and, if you ask me, only deserves to be a member of the Elite Four at best. To think that people like her or Alder (who was another letdown) bear the same title as our wonderful and all-powerful Cynthia makes me really mad....:mad:

To sum it up, thumbs up for Ash and Greninja. Thumbs down for "Champion" Diantha

(Oh yeah did you realize that possessed look in Olympia's face right before she showed Diantha her vision? Man, that looked kind of creepy!)

Didn't expect much after last week's filler and boy was I wrong :L Ash about to defeat a champion Pokemon, till of course shenanigans happen but congrats to our boy. Was kinda like was Joey Wheeler "lost" against Marik by collapsing.

I did lol when they were all more concerned about Team Rocket than the probably dead Ash and Greninja. You;d think they'ld wanna not do the transofrming when Ash keeps passing out... but that flying Greninja was badass

great episode!

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom