• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review SM020: Satoshi and Pikachu, the Promise between Them

Remember when I said TR wouldn't show up? Guess that came true then didn't it?

Ash, you must catch that Wimpod next!
Average episode I'd say, didn't stop me from enjoying parts of it though.

Underwhelming, forgettable and boring. As expected by headwriter Aya Matsui, this is what most of her episodes turn out to be like.
This episode was defiantly overshadowed by the next one. It had that magic that this episode just lacked.

Oh yes and as for my thoughts of this ep, pretty mediocre and forgettable at best, a crushing disappointment for an anniversary special at worst.

Better than that god awful Mirage special though, i'll give it that.

It was nice, but that's it - insipid and uninspiring. Overall a pathetic offering for an episode openly labelled as the 20th anniversary showing. One easy change would have made a big difference - that brief scene where Satoshi was reminiscing with Pikachu about their journey together, just a mention of the regions they have travelled through in lieu of naming everyone he has met since arriving in Alola! We're still <6 months into this series, so why (in an anniversary episode of all things) they have to deny the existence of everything which has come previously including XY is beyond me.

If he doesn't now catch that horrible silverfish the episode will have been for naught.

I like how he remembers about the people and pokemon from Alola, instead of actual people and pokemon he should remember.

Huh?
That one was a masterpiece compared to this.
In my books it wasn't.

Rubbish plot, god awful animation, I could go on all day about that so called "special" but that would just be going off topic so I won't.

In my books it wasn't.

Rubbish plot, god awful animation, I could go on all day about that so called "special" but that would just be going off topic so I won't.

If you ask me, the second one was better than this rubbish. This episode had an awful animation and plot. I wonder how the dub will carry on with that.

If you ask me, the second one was better than this rubbish. This episode had an awful animation and plot. I wonder how the dub will carry on with that.
To be fair both of em are just as disappointing as one another. For a big episode meant to be an anniversary special, you can't have it be as monotone as this, and for a special like Mirage, you can't make it feel like a complete joke.
That's what both of them are. This episode is forgettable and the special was horrible.

I'll say that the episode is a bit average, it's just mostly Ash being a goofball which a lot of people hates for some reason. At least Ash turned his hat around for the first time in a long time when he's trying to save the whimpod and he meets Tapu Lele for the first time.

Well, I spotted a Porygon in this episode! If you see the souvenirs in the beginning of the episode, you will spot one.
tumblr_onzvoo78BQ1rhf294o1_540.png

tumblr_onzvoo78BQ1rhf294o1_540]].png

Last edited:
I have to admit, it's not really much of an ode to the 20 years of effort put into the anime franchise when you only acknowledge the most recent region (and people say Kalos was light on past references). On the other hand I always like it when Satoshi is more hands-on like when rescuing that Wimpod.

This was....disappointing. As a regular episode I'd consider it boring, but the fact that this was the marked 20th anniversary episode is confusing. No references to the past, no flashbacks, no symbolic parallels with the first episode, no Mezase Pokemon Master...

Then again, did they do anything in the regular tv series (no Mastermind of Mirage Pokemon doesn't count because it was a special) for the 10th anniversary?

If it weren't for M20 I'd be really disappointed.

Was this even supposed to be an anniversary episode? where people get that?

PREVIEW: - SM020: Satoshi and Pikachu, the Promise between Them

Not acknowledging past regions? Did those who write the script think that little kids today don't know Ash has been to other places before Alola?

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom