• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S20 EP06: A Shocking Grocery Run!

Boring unfunny episode, probably the worst S&M episode so far.

What did we learn about Sophocles?

Nothing (besides the fact he's scared of the dark)

Also besides Team Rocket and Bewear, nothing made me laugh. Was bored out of my arse with the original version, still bored out of my arse with the dub version.

Also Ash's vomiting scene is cut.

American dubs from what I have watched seem to enjoy cutting out unsanitary, toilet humour-type scenes from kid's shows, such as in Digimon Adventure, the original seemed to cater a little towards that style of humour (I am actually quite relieved a lot of these scenes are censored, they do become a very difficult to stomach). Though the scene above really is much more tame than jokes involving flinging excrement, I'm not surprised they removed it as it seems some dubs just don't feel they should brooch the unsanitary in any way. I was wondering would they, since the vomit isn't graphic at all - you could say in a sense, it's even censored in the original, being represented as a sparkly mass instead of what vomit usually appears like.

Everyone's talking about the censorship, and I'm just here, crying from laughing so hard at the dub music when Ash is doing laundry- the dub music is so hilariously unfitting for the scene, it's too funny, everything's gotta be so whimsical and clown-y.

Man this episode is just not good for the Dub or JP version, it's just bland AF and about the "Vomit scene" people are talking about, I could honestly do without it even it was kept intact.
I agree. The so-called "vomit scene" was more random than funny to me.

Who's That Pokemon is Togedemaru.
Ash and Sophocles do it

Ash vomiting is edited out so we have another censor...
What other censor did the english dub have? They didn't censor out ash getting rammed in the nuts by milotic. Honestly, that was pretty surprising to me.

Honestly the vomit censorship oddly works. At least to me the fact that we don't see the vomit but see Ash look ready to vomit actually adds a bit of comedy to it.

Unpopular opinion here: I enjoyed this episode in both the Japanese and now the dub. I thought it was fun. It surprised me a little, because normally the standard "humans and Pokémon get separated and have to find one another" episodes bore me to tears. But I liked this one! I actually do like Sophocles as a character, and I think Togedemaru is the cutest and most endearing of the "Pika clones" that have been on the cast, so that probably helped. I also love seeing Ash doing mundane things like chores.

I was actually kind of surprised they cut that scene. Speaking as someone who has a phobia of...that, the original scene actually didn't bother me all that much. Probably because it didn't look real. Still, if you listen closely in the dub, you can still hear Ash making the "gagging" sounds when they zoom out to the house, so I find it a little odd that they removed the actual visual of it but it's still implied that he did do it. You would think if they were going to axe the visual, they wouldn't go out of their way to keep that specific sound. So that was weird.

There was too much repeated dialogue in this episode, though. Ash said "down the hatch!" like 3 times, and Meowth said "dig it" twice (please end this stupid phrase, I can't stand it.) I did like Ash's line at the end, after Sophocles says Togedemaru is a girl, that she and Pikachu are "like brother and sister!" The way he said it was very cute, and I assume it's also meant to reference his obliviousness to romance? Either way, I mostly liked it for the delivery.

Another probably unpopular opinion: I think Alyson Rosenfeld does a MUCH better job voicing Sophocles than Bonnie. I know it's only 6 episodes into the dub, but by 6 episodes into the dub Bonnie's voice was like nails on a chalkboard to me. I think Sophocles' voice suits him well and there's something oddly calming about it. It's not screechy or grating and I find it easy to listen to. This episode really showcased that.

Also, I liked Kukui's line about another researcher inviting him over. I totally just went ahead and assumed it was Professor Burnet :love:

There was too much repeated dialogue in this episode, though. Ash said "down the hatch!" like 3 times, and Meowth said "dig it" twice (please end this stupid phrase, I can't stand it.)

Another probably unpopular opinion: I think Alyson Rosenfeld does a MUCH better job voicing Sophocles than Bonnie. I know it's only 6 episodes into the dub, but by 6 episodes into the dub Bonnie's voice was like nails on a chalkboard to me. I think Sophocles' voice suits him well and there's something oddly calming about it. It's not screechy or grating and I find it easy to listen to. This episode really showcased that.
I agree with both of these two points you made: I'm not a fan of the English dub's script writing ever since TPCi took over the dub, and what you mentioned, is an example of some of why that is the case- I find they really try too much to make kids sound "cool" as well as "hip" with a lot of their dialogue, when they stray from the original dialogue.

As we all know, Team Rocket's dialogue is often so hideous with all the unfunny alliterations, slang, rhymes, etc, so that needs no mention ("Dig it" from Meowth being the most prevalent example here, but Jessie had a "rollie-pollie" rhyme & "darling discharge" alliteration today as well).

But...in this episode's case, where Ash said "Thanks for the food" in Japanese, they change it to "Down the hatch" in what I can only assume is to make him sound cooler, but what really stood out to me as being age inappropriate was when the script writer (JCC) had Ash say "So just eyeball it, right" when in Japanese, he said "This should be the right amount, right?" I've never heard a 10 year old boy say "eyeball it" when he talks about cooking food, at all.

And even though I do not like a majority of the dub's voice acting (and I haven't for years now), I will have to agree that I too feel Alyson Rosenfeld is a much better fit for Sophocles than she ever was as Bonnie, as her Sophocles is also considerably less nasal than she was as Bonnie to me, in addition to the two points you brought up. I actually think it's easily the best VA performance in the SM dub, tbh.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom