• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S20 EP10: Trial and Tribulation!

Pretty good episode. I really like Hala so it was nice to have him in the majority of the episode. They called the praying before the battle a "ceremony," no actual mention of praying, which is not surprising. But the intent was very clearly there and I'm glad they kept it all in place.

The battle itself was pretty good. I've said before that I'm not one of those people who's super into battling, so episodes like this don't tend to keep my attention. I think this one was done pretty well though. I love watching the Z moves. The little interactions between attacks and battles were fun too, like Rowlet sneaking up on Ash or falling asleep afterwards. I also liked that Ash gave credits to his classmates, and wanted them at his celebration at the end of the day. It was nice for him to give them that credit, and for them to make an appearance without having to stand behind Ash while he battled and do nothing. Having Professor Kukui there was plenty sufficient, and I actually enjoyed his commentary, since most of it centered around Hala and not the usual boring commentary we get from companions.

Some of Ash's lines were a little weird, and some of the delivery felt a bit forced, but I still love how natural his laugh has been sounding! It's a weird observation, I don't know if he's just been laughing more this series or what, but it's just super sweet and every time he does it I smile.

For anyone who's watched the episode already, did they change or remove the VS screen? That's all I want to know.

It's still there, they didn't change it one bit :)
Actually they did change it. They replaced the Japanese letters with an English VS text. They also yet again removed the Z-Move names that appeared in the Japanese version.

Last edited:
nvm just watched it. Here is a screencap

4824164302323712.png

For anyone who's watched the episode already, did they change or remove the VS screen? That's all I want to know.

Actually they did change it. They replaced the Japanese letters with an English VS text. They also yet again removed the Z-Move names that appeared in the Japanese version.

Oh I forgot about that! Guess I wasn't paying attention... I added that to the "Dub Edits" on SM's Episode 10 page.

*Edited Out VS Screen since someone else just uploaded it*

I enjoyed this episode, really nice to see Rowlet holding its own in battle, even if it did fall asleep after one match

I really enjoyed hearing Bill Roger's voice playing Hariyama in battle, any chance on the voice actor credits being screenshoted on here again please?

This episode was really good and Hey the VS screen is back cool! Besides the totem Gumshoos battle, this one I feel was better because it felt more focused and showcased Z-moves a lot better than I thought. As usual the voice acting was good and so was the music of course, but what was more important to me is that Ash finally has 2 Z-crystals and I can only hope that we get more of these battles later on so we can forward that plot man. I will give this episode a 9.5/10:)

Thought this was a good episode, and I loved hearing Bill Rogers as Hariyama again.

I was also surprised that they used the DP Gym theme for a quick second, and that they even kept it in the dub!

Rowlet is kind of growing on me. I kind of don't want it to ever evolve, the sleeping gag is hilarious.

Ash made it through the Totem battle and Grand Trial battles way too easily. And the battle didn't make sense - as many times as Pikachu has used Thunderbolt on targets for the last 20 years, why does it need to use Electroball and Iron Tail on a fighting type Pokemon?

This episode makes me wish Ash had also caught a Pikipek to at least give Ash two flying type Pokemon in this battle.

I don't like the combination of voices used for the "Who's That Pokemon?" segment - sounds like a bunch of elderly folks struggling for life.

So...two island trials two episodes in a row...and I was disappointed by both:/

I did like the beginning bit where they continued from the last episode and showed Officer Jenny with the Gumshoos as her new partner. Though I have to say, the beginning of this episode felt...odd. It was so calm and it didn't give off the atmosphere that a major battle was about to take place. Idk why, but that just felt weird to me.

Minor thing, but I was disappointed that they showed Hala's Crabrawler in a PokeBall rather than an Ultra Ball like in the games. Anyway, the first battle was decent I guess. I never expected Rowlet to beat the crab anyway. I was surprised by Ash doing a tactic like continuing to attack the crab while it was on the ground. But, I've officially had it with Rowlet. It beats the crab with few issues...and then the thing just falls asleep. What the actual hell? This is literally the worst Pokemon Ash has ever captured.

Now, for Hariyama. Again, the battle was fine. All-Out Pummeling looked amazing. I just wish we could have seen the entire attack where Hariyama charges at the opponent. And again, I really like that they shaped the punches to match Hariyama's hands. Thanks to the dub, I now understand that Ash researched how to do the pose for Breakneck Blitz before the battle, which I liked. It was nice to hear of him taking the initiative to learn this on his own. And that aside, Breakneck Blitz looked amazing. I loved how it was actually strong enough to blast Hariyama into the air.

Incoming Rant: Now for my huge disappointment. Why the heck couldn't Ash just receive the Fightininum-Z like he was supposed to? What reason was there to give Ash another free Electrium-Z before taking on the electric trial? What, was it because he doesn't have a Pokemon with a fighting-type move right now? Am I supposed to assume that Ash won't be catching a Pokemon with a fighting-type move at all since he didn't get the Fightinium-Z here? What Z-Crystal is he going to get at Hokulani Observatory, now? Nothing? If Ash doesn't get a Pokemon with a water-type move by Brooklet Hill is he just going to get a Grassium-Z instead of Waterium-Z because he has Rowlet? I'm sorry, but Ash getting free Z-Crystals from a legendary Pokemon 'just because' does not sit well with me. Ash should have had to wait until the electric-type trial before getting the Electrium-Z just like everyone else on the Island has to. It's not fair for him to receive special treatment just because he's Ash. Ash should have, in my opinion, refused to take the Electrium-Z and asked for a Fightinium-Z like he was supposed to get. That would have made this episode 10x better. I just hope (if this Electrium-Z doesn't disintegrate like the first one), that Ash doesn't make Gigavolt Havoc the only Z-Move Pikachu uses and still has him use Breakneck Blitz on occasion.

Sorry for the rant, but as someone who loved the trials in the Sun/Moon, I was disappointed by the changes they made here. I guess I shouldn't have expected them to perfectly mimic them from the games, but still I was hoping they'd at least keep the main mechanics and give out the proper Z-Crystals. Oh well. To end on a positive note, I did like how Ash asked if he could bring his friends to the party. That was nice of him. 7.6/10.

That certificate is more prestigious than any badge Ash has ever won. Srsly, everyone would be dead if he didn't save them all cuz apparenlty only a ten year old doing his first trial could stop those murderous Ratatas. Why do we even need police? round up the kids in the trainer's school and give them all £8 an hour.

I hope no one sees Ash in the back of a cop car the wrong way. He could end up with a group of very confused friends. If they see I'd go with it "I tried to steal the Z Crystal cuz battling Hala would've been too much effort".

"My Pokemon are trained more than you're used to Ash". I doubt it mate, Ash has fought legends and league people.

He's really using a Hariyama for this? damn. I guess Bralwy did also use one on gym two but still... I think this is a bit much since the game version use Makuhita!

Be kinda funny to see a Hariyama punch 1000 Pikachus at once.

I'm pretty sure that's more than five Arm Thrusts, stop cheating Hala!

Belly Drum into All Out Pummeling. I assume Hala wouldn't go this far with a beginner trainer lmao, just gonna assume he knows what Ash has done and how strong his Pikachu is cuz if not, then he must rek a lot of kid's dreams with his OP fully evolved Z move Pokemon

I kinda think Ash winning with the Z Move like that after Pikachu got rekd was slightly BS, mainly after Pikachu get rekd by the Fighting one but ehhh and Ash won and wait. Ash just won 2-0 without losing a Pokemon. I think that's only the second time he's ever not lost a Pokemon in a "gym battle"? interesting. Should've just had Pikachu get shrecked by All Out Pummeling then have Rowlet come back for the Breakneck Blitz but ehhhhhh. And Ash just beat an Elite Four member technically ;)

So if Ash would need to collect all the Z Cystals... I wonder how he'd get himself the Fighting one if he's getting Electric from this lmao

Was a good battle tbf

Alright, it's Grand trial time! Let's go!

First of all, I liked Ash's reaction upon learning that Gumshoos had joined Officer Jenny as her partner. Does that mean we'll get to see Gumshoos more? Am real glad now. :X3: I must say I admired Hala taking Ash to the Ruins of Conflict for their little prayer ceremony.

Wow, I honestly did not expect Ash to do his homework and learn Breakneck Blitz's Z-Dance before the Grand trial. I must say I'm quite impressed with him. :p:D

The battle itself was well-written. Crabrawler debuts in this episode. It versus Rowlet was nothing eventful or worth-mentioning though; it was just exchange of moves. Though, it was saddening to see Rowlet simply fall asleep after that round instead of continuing the battle. I know it's its gimmick, but it felt just too much.

Hariyama versus Pikachu was pretty interesting as well. Though, I did not quite expect Pikachu to survive that Belly Drum-boosted All Out Pummeling; I call DEM on that. Should've just had Pikachu get knocked out by All Out Pummeling, then have Rowlet come back for the Breakneck Blitz but eh! But other than that, Breakneck Blitz looked amazing. I loved how it was actually strong enough to throw Hariyama into the air.

Eh... I was a bit disappointed with Ash's Fightinium Z being replaced with an Electrium Z, cause that could mean that Ash would never probably get a chance at it again, but oh well! :rolleyes:

I did like how Ash asked if he could bring his friends to the party. That was nice of him.

All in all, a nice, well-written episode, full of excitement. Imma give it a 8.5/10.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom