• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review SM038: Mimikkyu's Disguise!

D'awww, it was awesome! Musashi was so well-written and cute! <33333 Ok, so my first impression review:

- I loved how they addressed their long absence
- Konaiguma XD
- Kojiro and Nyasu panicked and ran, because they realized that Musashi blasted off in the shopping mall's direction and Musashi + shopping = she'd spent all their money that they made working part-time (by the way, this is the second time they mentioned their part-time job, I wonder where they're working)
- it was cute and funny how Musashi was trying to be all "Oh, but we aren't shopping for me!" at the store xD Oh well at least she was trying!:p I totally loved her pink dress!!!:love: And the sunhat with hibiscus flowers! <3333
- the reason why Mimikkyu chose its outfit wasn't directly explained, but I thought it was pretty obvious from the scene with the kids. I interpreted it as, Mimikkyu hates Pikachu, because it's jealous of it and wants to be loved just as much.
- Musashi said: "I don't understand well, but it must be important for you, so I'll fix it for you" (more or less, idr exactly)
- Kojiro cracking Sonansu jokes and Nyasu was like "It's not funny" to which Kojiro replied "Musashi would have laughed" awww XD *explosion* Nyasu: "Musashi laughed!" lol omg
- Nyasu died again awwww XDDDD; ("Nyasu why are you sleeping!?" lol always cracks me up) The way Musashi and Kojiro avoided their deaths was clever XD
- NYASU'S BOSS FANTASIES ARE BACK OMG
- Konaiguma is Kiteruguma again xD

I just wish they didn't force that twerp subplot, it took too much time from Rockets :p Otherwise the episode was excellent!

At least Meowth died third time in this episode and yet they reused the scene of Lana ordering her Popllio to use a big bubble from They Might Not be the Giants!, but this time they added the Z-ring on here left hand and switched her movement backwards. Boy, how many time does Meowth have to sacrifice his own life seeing Mimikyu's real form?

What was the point of whole problem with Lugalugan? That was pointless.
Still the same opening. Even TR episodes needs Satoshi and his to do something?
Mimikkyu still don't listen to Musashi, but there is some bonding between them. Did they explained Kiteruguma's reason to be missing?
They used THAT Pikachu! :whistle:
pikachu-is-a-woman_credit.jpg

I don't even watch the anime, but this is one of those episodes that made even me actually kind of want to watch it. I didn't, but I might...later.

tumblr_ouhdif5fmK1qioqevo1_500.gif

this gif I saw of it was too cute

I <3 mimikyu

I know, right? It's annoying. So it's okay for Rockets to miss several episodes in a row, but Satoshi needs a plot even in a Rocket fair? Not very fair.

I guess it went fruit picking?
That kinda explains everything. Bewear didn't come save them because it was busy picking up some berries for them.

This episode was pretty sweet, to the bonding moments Jessie and Mimikyu shared to Meowth dying yet once again. I love how TR were actually used to Bewear swooping them up. I just wish Mareanie was in this episode too :(

My only complaint here is that Ash as usual, sucked screentime like a mosquito, and I felt like I saw more of his subplot than the actual episode. They could have had better episodes for Lycanroc to perform its Z-Move.

A small cute moment I want to point out is when Mimikyu sees children cheering at the Pikachu balloon, in which causes it to stop moving. I felt bad for it.

8/10

5/10, the episode wasn't boring but nothing particularly interesting happened in it as well.

At least there weren't a lot of Ash and co. scenes. There were what, three or so without Team Rocket? And the second one was pretty short. Just training and Popplio, Steenee and Togedemaru relaxing. And the first one was two minutes.

I know, right? It's annoying. So it's okay for Rockets to miss several episodes in a row, but Satoshi needs a plot even in a Rocket fair? Not very fair.

When it comes to filler Satoshi plots, I'll take "Helping his Pokemon master a new technique" over "Chaoboo can't use Flamethrower due to a Bullet Seed stuck up its nose".

I like how in the Poke-Problem segment they also took the time to caricature Ash as a demonic figure to fit Jessie's perspective - his sharp grin reminds me of the Cheshire Cat.

I saw the episode a few hours ago but my thoughts may contain spoilers. Should I wait until tonight to post or don't worry about it?

Spoilers about this episode in particular? That's fine as this is the review thread, they don't necessarily have to be under a spoiler tag or anything.

This is a fun episode, I love how most of the focus is on Jessie and Mimikyu and how they started to bond with each other. Mimikyu is finally started to bond with Jessie and listen to her! Since Meowth died the third time, he needs to start being careful not to look at Mimikyu with out it's disguise.
I saw the episode a few hours ago but my thoughts may contain spoilers. Should I wait until tonight to post or don't worry about it?
There's no need to put spoiler tags on your thoughts on the review thread, go ahead and go crazy with your thoughts.

This was my first time seeing a rocket episode live. Here were my main thoughts(Warning; wall of text):

Glad to see you back Team Rocket!(y)
Was Musashi emulating a cat Pokemon to scare off the Murkrow? Even if she wasn't, I loved this little moment.
I love the short emotional music cue that plays when Musashi realizes Mimikyu isn't happy. It continues on again when Musashi realizes how important the rag is to it.
I love how expressive the paper bag is!
Musashi picks Mimikyu up by the tail. Isn't this a little risky?
Kojiro calling for Musashi!!!:D Sonansu during this moment!
3vRZRZPIrYG49t7L_fAq3_vBRum93uhVcA2sSdjPj8QD8KiLNFBWbHeJoOkEpKdhSKQyXsx46nYm4oh-kjComEyIW4GBakzdbDyZ1yUrDIgaVNnxFUwJDl6sgUY2QLa0e6IB84Ma
Kojiro's inflatable tube guy run! :LOL:
(by the way, this is the second time they mentioned their part-time job, I wonder where they're working)
I thought they were working at the malasada place.
Serena's hat makes a small cameo.
Will this dress return at all in the series?
How is Mimikyu getting on all the different disguises without Musashi dying? I wouldn't have a problem with this except for one scene that comes up later.
I guess you have to show the Z-move you put in the preview. Can we get back to Musashi and Mimikyu now?
The kids around the Pikachu balloon may soon get the,uh,internet treatment.
The Pikachu disguise moment is beautiful. The music, the voice acting, the animation, and Mimikyu's expressions were all done well. You learn so much about Mimikyu with little to no dialogue. This scene shows no matter how resentful of Pikachu this Mimikyu is, it's still the lonely Pokemon the Pokedex describes. And Musashi fixing the disguise for it!!!!!!
I'm not sure if it's because the previous rocket episodes were already out by the time I saw them or the structure of those episodes were different or if it's because of Team Rocket not showing up much on the previous island but this is the first time I've been annoyed by Satoshi's appearance in an episode.
Mimikyu jumping for the malasada is so adorable!
Mimikyu's expression when Musashi goes after it's disguise! And people say Musashi is horrible to her pokemon! I will be using this moment as proof of the opposite forever alongside Dustox and Arbok.
Sonansu with the leaves stuck on it.
GEPfTWhWxKnyr9i-gvPt2EOZfgzPBZkxwjPaoXO7fNUSxfvpOFzNcIxW7ZMyiLKlm2ae3Ea-54BVvnerybpsNpMfIklEyqM9RebSjRzg8sWEoCUSDe_R-55_VzE7CrzF7thWeTjb
:LOL:
Kojiro cracking Sonansu jokes and Nyasu was like "It's not funny" to which Kojiro replied "Musashi would have laughed"
Aww!
*explosion* Nyasu: "Musashi laughed!"
Haha!
As soon as I saw this Pikachu balloon in the preview, I knew it would be destroyed but I thought it would be because of Mimikyu. No, it's because of Musashi. I wonder how long it took the mall staff to clean it up.
Mimikyu tears up! Mimikyu's tail wags when Musashi shows it the malasada!:X3: I wonder if this is a clue at what's under Mimikyu's disguise. Nothing like sharing a malasada on top of a destroyed Pikachu's remains. :)
So did we get to see Mimikyu without it's disguise?
It was seen without it's disguise by Nyasu, resulting in Nyasu losing his seventh life. Kind of a tease but I'm not too bothered by it and they may probably be waiting to reveal it at the end of the series. If you were watching this episode only to see Mimikyu's true form, you probably will be disappointed. I do love the detail how Mimikyu sends part of the paper bag in front of Musashi's eyes and another towards Kojiro's. And the music that plays!!! It's an epic battle choir! I expected Mimikyu to go Greek warrior or god on the Murkrow's tails! No Play Rough but Wood Hammer's good too.
Nyasu's boss fantasies are back!!!! Edit: It took me repeated viewings to realize this but you can hear Musashi's voice in the background.
Satoshi seems happy to see Team Rocket back. Did he finally realize what they did during the last episode 38 or did he finally realize "Hey I haven't seen Team Rocket at all while at Akala Island"?
Mimikyu still goes for Pikachu. I guess having Mimikyu listen to Musashi 100% would make Team Rocket too overpowered. I liked how Mimikyu's angry aura shut off when Musashi picked it up by the tail.
Oh Kiteruguma was getting fruit.
Mimikyu's getting tips from Sonansu on eating. I wonder if they'll bond more as well.
Aww, they made Kiteruguma outfits. Does that mean Team Rocket have a new part time job?Mimikyu's keeping the bag disguise! Maybe it doesn't want to kill Nyasu anymore?

Overall I liked this episode. There were moments that made me laugh, aww, and touched me. I have a feeling this episode will be one people talk about for many years to come. If you're a Musashi and/or Mimikyu fan, I think you'll enjoy it.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom