• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S20 EP40: Balloons, Brionne, and Belligerence!

Reaction score
Aired on Watch Disney XD App and Channel

Who's That Pokemon:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFrYrUixTBo&feature=youtu.be

Pokedex Entries:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z66--vcCZto&feature=youtu.be

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQAjIIl5q4s&feature=youtu.be

Cast List:
Sarah Natochenny
Jessica Paquet
Rosie Reyes
Alyson Leigh Rosenfeld
Rodger Parsons

Kate Brisol
Roger Callagy
Graham Halstead
Michele Knotz
Lisa Ortiz
Erica Schroeder
Caroline Spinola
Eileen Stevens
Billy Bob Thompson

It's Ida in the dub, btw. Nice to see a new VA, if she is new. And yeah, it's strange for Carter not to be listed. I'm assuming it's just a mistake.

Aired on Watch Disney XD App and Channel

Who's That Pokemon:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFrYrUixTBo&feature=youtu.be

Pokedex Entries:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z66--vcCZto&feature=youtu.be

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQAjIIl5q4s&feature=youtu.be

Cast List:
Sarah Natochenny
Jessica Paquet
Rosie Reyes
Alyson Leigh Rosenfeld
Rodger Parsons

Kate Brisol
Roger Callagy
Graham Halstead
Michele Knotz
Lisa Ortiz
Erica Schroeder
Caroline Spinola
Eileen Stevens
Billy Bob Thompson

Just one question, who reads wtp? Ash, and his friends, or Ash, Mallow, Lana and Rotom Pokedex with Kanoa and Ida? Kiawe and the other two made a cameo during Lana's training montage, and they don't speak here.

Last edited:
Sarah Natochenny: Ash
Jessica Paquet: Mallow
Rosie Reyes: Lana
Alyson Leigh Rosenfeld: Bounsweet
Rodger Parsons: Narrator

Kate Brisol: Sarah
Roger Callagy: Rotom
Graham Halstead: TBC
Michele Knotz: Jessie
Lisa Ortiz: TBC
Erica Schroeder: Wobbuffet
Caroline Spinola: TBC
Eileen Stevens: Popplio, Harper
Billy Bob Thompson: TBC

So we have Ida, Brionne, Kanoa, Dhelmise and presumably background characters in the crowd

Sarah Natochenny: Ash
Jessica Paquet: Mallow
Rosie Reyes: Lana
Alyson Leigh Rosenfeld: Bounsweet
Rodger Parsons: Narrator

Kate Brisol: Sarah
Roger Callagy: Rotom
Graham Halstead: TBC
Michele Knotz: Jessie
Lisa Ortiz: TBC
Erica Schroeder: Wobbuffet
Caroline Spinola: TBC
Eileen Stevens: Popplio, Harper
Billy Bob Thompson: TBC

So we have Ida, Brionne, Kanoa, Dhelmise and presumably background characters in the crowd
Nice to see who voices. Also, Ash, Lana, Mallow, Ida and Kanoa read out who's that Pokemon for this episode. Kiawe, Lillie and Sophocles made non-speaking cameos in this episode so they weren't involved. But still I don't know who voices Harper and Sarah in Japanese version.

That makes 8 1/XXs for the SM dub (if what I heard is true), only in its first season btw, and it's worse than most of XY and all of AG about replacing Japanese music right now, regardless of that being the case or not.

"Forward ho, yo yo" is also vomit worthy dialogue, but that's par for the course with the dub these days, so no shock there.

I also loved the reject Batman theme being played 3 times in this episode dubbed.

I'd comment on other stuff, but people will make excuses for it, so why bother?

This episode took the best elements of fillers and non-fillers and made a wonderful blend out of them! In other words, this episode didn’t feel overly eventful, but it didn’t feel pointless, either.

TR’s role didn’t feel shoehorned without making them nonexistent or the focus characters. I also like how they didn’t try to shove the other classmates in here where they don’t belong, though I question Mallow’s role in this episode.

The animation was great as always and the CoTDs felt very above-average. In fact, they were developed enough that I wonder if they’ll reappear down the line (maybe in “Seafolk” Village?) It seems like they purposely left it open-ended.

But the biggest things I owe to this episode’s writers is how they continue to flesh out Lana’s character. She already had two big focus episodes already but it doesn’t look like they’re slowing down anytime soon. I didn’t think much of her at the beginning of SM but she’s developing almost as much as Lillie is at this point. So, way to go!

Episode 39 was just boring. I love Mallow, but they gave her nothing to work with and overall was just meh to me. Now on to this week's episode 40 which was definitely refreshing to me because Lana is give actual focus with Popplio too, Brionne being cute, them managing to accomplish the Hydro Vortex Z-move, TR not feeling pointless, Great Animation/Music/Acting as is always, the extra characters also being memorable enough to where I think they just might show up again and again unlike last week's episode this one had proper plot while not overstaying it's welcome. So in the end I will give this a 8.5/10 with last week's getting a 5/10. Great work here!

What's that mean?
That means TPCi only kept 1 piece of Japanese music in 8 Sun & Moon dub episodes (those being SM011, SM015, SM017, SM020, SM026, SM032, SM038, and this one making 8 in all- they are all only the title card jingle, BTW), which is the highest number of those kinds of episodes in any season of the English dub to date (Season 19 is runner up with 5 of those "Only 1 piece of Japanese music kept" episodes).

This is so far the second worst dub season ever on replacing Japanese music overall (the reason why it is not the worst ever is because Season 19 didn't have a single episode keeping more than 6 pieces of Japanese music, despite having less of these kinds of episodes), factually speaking: I wish I could say something about the other "quality" I see from the dub, but I'll just get hate no matter how much I explain myself on it, so no point in that.

Last edited:
One thing I love about the Alola region are the beautiful scenery and that includes the beaches and oceans so it is nice to have an episode around them

Team Rocket, this episode didn't need them yet they still appear, could have given Dhelmise more, a suspect this is another Billy Bob Thompson role though could be wrong

I liked that Harper and Sarah were shown sleeping in Lana's house

Lmao Poplio knocked itself out with its own Z move. I wonder if you get exp for that? Poor Lana tho, she's too cute to have to go through that. Since she teaches it you in the game, she clearly should know the dance! then again, it seems to be the seals fault.

Seeing a Brionne makes me wonder how a Pokemon with a mustache like Popplio turns into a girly Pokemon like Brionne and hmm I wonder why Rotom didn't mention it turns into it.

A guy surfing on a Z move makes it seem really weak, tbh. Also both these sideshow people are annoying tbh. Can tell they do it a lot too with the bad acting/fake excitement etc (the character not the voice actor). Eh I'd probably enjoy it irl. Also shocked Pokemon allow what is clearly a romance!?

Damn, Lana showing guts. You gettem girl. Although I'd be kinda spooked if I was the woman and a random girl came up to me like that. and honoured ,I guess. Mostly spooked tho.

I think someone else would've found it years ago if that hidden treasure was a real thing my friend. Probably shortly after it crashed. Then again the Titanic took like 90 years to find.

"Poplio doesn't have enough strength to use a Z Ring". Huh, didn't know that was a thing. Not that I once hatched a Pokemon at level 1 then used one like.

So is Lana paying for this right? cuz from what it seems, the woman would be better off playing shows to make the money she needs to well...eat.

I wanna know how making 500,000 balloons make them stronger like that but ehhhh whatevz. Also this treasure hunter guy needs to get a real job.

Mystic Water sell price: 500 poke. Lol. Was 50 before Gen 7 it seems, weird for it to get 10 times stronger.

Wait so if Brionne is how he searches under water, how did he search yesterday when they were busy training with Lana wuuuuuut. Also, I've been pronouncing Dhelmise wrong. Whoops.

Lol Team Rocket screwing over Ash and co.

They should really have used attacks that aren't resisted, instead of Water and Electic lol.

Can a Grass/Ghost type even use Whirlpool!?... apparnelty so. Weird. Whirlpool is pretty dangerous outside of battle huh. Kills people.

LOOKS LIKE DHELMISE IS BLASTING OFF AGAIN. DING!

Lana did it, yay.

Enjoy the 500 pokedollars. Oh I guess he's giving it as a gift? well, that aint gonna put food on your table mate.

I hope Dhelmise enjoys eating that chainsaw boat. I did forget to mention my surprise at a robot fish holding a chainsaw, that was pretty crazy.

Okay episode. Popplio should've evolved here.

That means TPCi only kept 1 piece of Japanese music in 8 Sun & Moon dub episodes (those being SM011, SM015, SM017, SM020, SM026, SM032, SM038, and this one making 8 in all- they are all only the title card jingle, BTW), which is the highest number of those kinds of episodes in any season of the English dub to date (Season 19 is runner up with 5 of those "Only 1 piece of Japanese music kept" episodes).

This is so far the second worst dub season ever on replacing Japanese music overall (the reason why it is not the worst ever is because Season 19 didn't have a single episode keeping more than 6 pieces of Japanese music, despite having less of these kinds of episodes), factually speaking: I wish I could say something about the other "quality" I see from the dub, but I'll just get hate no matter how much I explain myself on it, so no point in that.

Get over it. If they don't replace the music, they probably don't make a profit.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom