• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review SM066: Smash with Sketch! The Fierce Fighting Poké-Ping Pong!

Is it just me or did Smeargle use its signature move Sketch in this episode? One thing for sure, Ash the the others didn't wear their normal clothes in the entire episode, they wore ping pong clothes instead.

Leave it to Pokémon to make something like ping pong look like the most serious sport on the planet...

YES! After having appeared in the anime for almost two decades now, Smeargle finally gets to use a move in the anime! And of course, it's its signature move, Sketch!

Come on, Bewear! SERIOUSLY?! Now this is just feeling forced! Why not just have the Rocket trio lose and then be abducted back home?! Honestly, I'm quickly getting sick of that bear...

Also, no mention of the previous ping pong contest Ash took part in? Oh, that's right, all the references to the past must be made to the original series! That's why Brock and Misty were wearing their original clothes instead of the ones they should be wearing, and Misty's Azurill was absent from her arms for no good reason!

Sorry about that last one. It's just been bothering me a bit, and I wanted to get it off my chest.

Leave it to Pokémon to make something like ping pong look like the most serious sport on the planet...

YES! After having appeared in the anime for almost two decades now, Smeargle finally gets to use a move in the anime! And of course, it's its signature move, Sketch!

Come on, Bewear! SERIOUSLY?! Now this is just feeling forced! Why not just have the Rocket trio lose and then be abducted back home?! Honestly, I'm quickly getting sick of that bear...

Also, no mention of the previous ping pong contest Ash took part in? Oh, that's right, all the references to the past must be made to the original series! That's why Brock and Misty were wearing their original clothes instead of the ones they should be wearing, and Misty's Azurill was absent from her arms for no good reason!

Sorry about that last one. It's just been bothering me a bit, and I wanted to get it off my chest.
Bewear is kinda annoying when it comes to contests. Yes! Smeargle used its signature move here, and I'm glad.

All you need to know is that Ilima is going back to Kalos for now.
Yeah. I wonder if there was Poke Problem aired in this episode, unless they skip it due to the trailer of the 21st movie or Ilima's voice actor. Okay, never mind. They actually did air it and they used the same pictures of Soccer, Rugby, Baseball and Ping-Pong from episode SM028 with a different question.

Last edited:
I watch this and DP124 to compare them. DP124 was so much better.

@martianmister Nothing will compare to that episode. If the writer try anything like this again in the future episode. I kinda doubt, none of it will ever make us anticipated.

Also, why does no one tell me about that the forum can tag somebody else, huh?

You know, there is a lot of references in this episode like Team Rocket dressed like those characters from the old anime tennis, Grinch-like expressions and one anime I don't recall.

Also, no mention of the previous ping pong contest Ash took part in? Oh, that's right, all the references to the past must be made to the original series!

Well, obviously, the sport Satoshi played in Sinnoh was Pokemon Ping Pong, where Pokemon weren't allowed to use attacks in-play while this one was Poke Ping Pong where attacks were not only allowed but expected. Completely different sports, so therefore the writers presumably decided that was enough justification to never mention it.

Yeah, I'm pissed off about it too.

Alright, I enjoyed this episode more than I expected to. This series always finds a way to make the most mundane of activities epic as hell somehow.

Nice to finally after 300,000 years see a Smeargle use a move. Seriously, I've been wanting to see how Smeargle attacks for years and now, we finally got to see it. Not only that, but they even showed us Sketch. T'was a good day indeed.

Okay, what the heck? How was Pikachu hitting Ash with the damn ping pong ball. Was he not aiming at the opponent or what? Also, on that note, why and how were moves allowed to be used in that competition? Are you telling me the the extreme pressure of the fire, water, electricity, etc wasn't enough to blow that ball into smithereens? Whatever, I thought it was cute that both Lillie and Sophy sucked at the game and that Togedearu kept scolding Sophocles.

Lana vs. Kiawe was epic, but that's to be expected of the most epic characters of this series. Also, it was nice to see Marowak actually doing something for once. I was only disappointed because it seemed like Kiawe was actually having Marowak use Inferno Overdrive, but it was just his extreme ping pong serve:/ I thought it was cute that Marowak was practicing with the Paddle after the match. And Pikachu touching Popplio nose for no reason at all was adorbs.:X3:

Illima's opponent creeped me the hell out. Like seriously, what was his deal? And why did he enter with that Mienshao when it sucked so bad? Bring a Pokemon who can play next time and maybe you won't lose. :p

Decent episode overall. Only negative was TR as usual. 7/10.

I think the coming plot twist is that Ilima will be Ash's rival at the Alola League, assuming Ash ever finishes the island trials. Is the UB mission over? The SM anime has its good parts, but in general it's kind of all over the place. I don't think they would go through the trouble to introduce Ilima for him to just go back to Kalos and stay there. They could have easily had the two episode arc using a COD.

I think the coming plot twist is that Ilima will be Ash's rival at the Alola League, assuming Ash ever finishes the island trials. Is the UB mission over? The SM anime has its good parts, but in general it's kind of all over the place. I don't think they would go through the trouble to introduce Ilima for him to just go back to Kalos and stay there. They could have easily had the two episode arc using a COD.
The sad part is that Ash doesn't mention that he has friends in Kalos and ask Ilma to say hi from him. Idk if there is any form of communication with the other regions.

Yeah. I wonder if there was Poke Problem aired in this episode, unless they skip it due to the trailer of the 21st movie or Ilima's voice actor. Okay, never mind. They actually did air it and they used the same pictures of Soccer, Rugby, Baseball and Ping-Pong from episode SM028 with a different question.
I was watching it live and the Poké Problem didn't air (nor the typical post-credit scene).

Oh good all i'm going to miss is something that doesn't matter at all good.
Watching Pokémon for "the plot" is the silliest thing I've ever heard.

An episode I wanted to much to love!... but didn't.
It was just, I dunno, boring?

The Kaki vs Suiren match was the highlight (of course), which is only to be expected as those two are the respective M/F hilarious badasses of the series. A* to the TRio for cosplay effort (they even renamed Musashi as Gorgeous-fujin (for ochofujin) and Sonansu as Sonami (Hiromi) for full Ace wo Nerae transformation). Also Pikachu being terrible at Ping Pong somehow tickled my fancy.

But
(and it's a big but)
Ilima is boring right?
I didn't see it when everyone was complaining last week that he was too perfect, Gary Stu, blah blah blah. Now I do. He's just too good and nice and intensely dull. For which reason, I didn't give a single damn during his match or any of the build-up.

Bonus:
Xz51sl.jpg

tumblr_p5mp6mu8Ct1s3at53o1_1280.jpg

nPuUXl.jpg

tumblr_p5mp6mu8Ct1s3at53o2_1280.jpg

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom