• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN002: Satoshi and Go, Let's Go by Lugia!

Professor: "Ah, aren't you a lucky child today! For free, absolutely free, I'll give you the choice between the equally rare Bulbasaur, Charmander, or Squirtle for your very first Pokemon. All three of these wonderful specimens can't be found just anywhere in the wild and are pretty cove-"
Go: "gIMmE mEW."

That aside, this episode did a quick job establishing Ash's living arrangements and new role for the duration of this saga. I have to wonder though, how Go goes from being a student at school along Koharu to...possibly not going to school anymore due to being a Pokemon-less field "research assistant?" Just how valued is a basic education for children in the anime anyway.
Also, I like Koharu; finally, we seem to have someone in the cast who doesn't put up with Ash's antics or other silly ventures as easily as the Kalos and Alola gang did; I'm looking forward to her dynamic with the boys going down the road. Lastly, it bothered me that Ash didn't attempt to use a Pokedex to learn more about Yamper, a Pokemon he explicitly notes he's never seen before. Maybe they'll identify it in a later episode.

This was brilliant, far far better than last week's offering. Yonemura is known for his kookiness and I'm glad he's running with that from the outset - I think the characters are going to be a lot of fun in PM. It's all the details, like Pikachu snuggling with the substitute plush, Hanako squeezing Satoshi out of his sleep and Satoshi's irritation when he realised he was tagging along on a date between Ookido Hakase and his mother.

Go is annoying, but this feels like a good trait after 2 solid gens of nicey nicey characters. He and Satoshi bounce really well off each other. This relationship is reminiscent of Satoshi and Shigeru actually, if Shigeru hadn't been such a tit in Kanto. Koharu is a good balancing deadpan snarker to the boys. I wish she'd been more present in this episode though, there were at least 2 scenes (the lab opening and everyone saying farewell to Ookido/Hanako) where it felt inappropriate that she was missing.

I'm still unsure about the music, but I guess it'll take some time to adjust to a new composer after 22 years of Miyazaki. The animation on the other hand was outstanding. No need to comment on the action scenes, but even the lowkey character scenes were supremely expressive, simply a joy to watch!

Anyone else think there was a flicker of recognition between Lugia and Satoshi during their ride?

I guess Mime will fill after all the role of Brock. Also I like how Pikachu's thunderbolt is stronger than it was before. The extra movements before firing it remind me of Z-Moves.

Some nice continuity in this episode. The continuity was not only shown by the prices Ash earned during his journey.
If I recall correctly, he explained Lugia's moves in the same way as how he ''taught'' Sophocles and Lillie how to use a Z-move. The sub describes his remarkable way of explanation as ''fwoosh'' and ''zip''. Ash sure knows how to make things clear ..

Another enjoyable episode, but I wished the Raid battle lasted a little longer. Some great animation and new music, unfortunately no Miyazaki remixes were used (again). Hopefully the animation remains consistent during this series. The quality is amazing so far.
Next week looks.. Meh tbh. The character interactions will make the episode fun, but other than that there is not much to say about it.

I think the start of this anime is a little too slow. At least there is some action with Lugia but it is still a little bit bland if you compare to the beginning of XY which grabs your attention immediately with all the action and Satoshi diving off the tower to save Pikachu.

This episode almost reminded me of the 20th anniversary episode when Pikachu and Satoshi went to the island and nothing really happened. I guess beautiful scenery is nice and all but shouldn't the first episode try to grab your attention?

I have noticed that they really try to be calming when appealing to older nostalgic fans and I'm not sure if I'm personally into it. I hope this won't become a trend since Alola was decent when there were some kind of arc (like Lillie's plot) but very boring and uneventful when it didn't.

So are Oak and Delia dating?

I never understood why this ship is so popular. Isn't he too old for her!? :p

Last edited:
I think the start of this anime is a little too slow. At least there is some action with Lugia but it is still a little bit bland if you compare to the beginning of XY which grabs your attention immediately with all the action and Satoshi diving off the tower to save Pikachu.

This episode almost reminded me of the 20th anniversary episode when Pikachu and Satoshi went to the island and nothing really happened. I guess beautiful scenery is nice and all but shouldn't the first episode try to grab your attention?

I have noticed that they really try to be calming when appealing to older nostalgic fans and I'm not sure if I'm personally into it. I hope this won't become a trend since Alola was decent when there were some kind of arc (like Lillie's plot) but very boring and uneventful when it didn't.

I never understood why this ship is so popular. Isn't he too old for her!? :p
Me neither but it interesting. I still get SM vibes from this episode.

I'm hoping Koharu ends up being more like Moon from the Manga and less like Misty or Iris. In other words, not short-tempered like Misty or mean-spirited as Iris, but still gets exasperated with the boys' antics in a similar way to how Moon would often express deadpan frustration with Sun for being like that.

It would be something different, we haven't really seen that kind of Ash-PokeGirl dynamic in the anime yet...

10/10 great episode by itself but I still haven't gotten grasped or hooked like another user said somewhere above me. I'm fine with the All-Region Concept and I was sure that the first two episodes would be great but what I'm worried about or just flat-out apathetic about some things in the Long-Scheme. Ash seems to be drawn with small zs unlike in SM but are still differing from scene to scene and from animator to animator. Next Week just looks like a typical Filler with Pokemon COTDs but hopefully it is still a good episode. Also the ending though, I'm not even going to attempt to rant on it.

One thing I liked about this episode was that it implied Ash and Go won't be travelling region to region on Lugia which I'm pleased with as it will hopefully allow the Magnet train to get featured

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom