• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review TW03: Buddy

This series is too formulaic. Everyone in Galar is obsessed with Leon and ends up doing something inconsiderate because of it (or reckless as in the sick boy's case). All is well because good old Corviknight is always around. Love conquers all.

It goes to show that maybe battling shouldn't be taken that seriously in the first place. Not everyone is meant to be a champion.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Wooloo sounds different between the two versions which I find peculiar. It makes the same sounding cry, so why bother having the lines re-done in English? Who knows.

I'll be honest. This was a good episode but my least favorite so far. I liked what it was going for, but this is the first episode where it felt like it needed more time to tell the story. Milo's cameo was extremely brief and I didn't get enough of Hop for what I assume to be "his" episode. I think if this was given another few minutes, it could have been my favorite.

6/10

WOOLOO!

This was a nice way to brighten up my morning. It was a nice, mellow episode, which I honestly appreciate right about now. Wooloo pretending to be Charizard because Hop is so obsessed with it was so cute. The poor thing just wanted to make Hop happy! I love that they made a reference to Yamper herding Wooloo when it was being chased.

I do wish Milo had gotten a bit more screentime. I didn't realize this was going to be his episode as well. I think it's interesting that they combined his and Hop's, but I would've liked to see a bit more of Milo. I do like how they've continued to use Corviknight as the connecting factor between the episodes, though!

The first episode has still been my favorite so far, but I think this one narrowly beats out episode 2 just because I love Wooloo so much, aha. Still, this series has been so high quality...it's such a delight to watch every month :love:

I do wish Milo had gotten a bit more screentime. I didn't realize this was going to be his episode as well. I think it's interesting that they combined his and Hop's, but I would've liked to see a bit more of Milo.
We've still got 4 episodes to go so I would not be surprised if Milo got his own episode, they've definitely been getting a lot of mileage so far out of a small cast by having it all interconnect around Leon's championship match. :unsure:

A trainer getting worried and looking for their partner Pokemon after it ran away? That's completely unheard of! /s
This series is too formulaic. Everyone in Galar is obsessed with Leon and ends up doing something inconsiderate because of it (or reckless as in the sick boy's case).
Meanwhile, Milo's just chilling there with his wooly bois. Main character from each episode aside, it's pretty clear that there's plenty of people in Galar who aren't overly obsessed with Leon (eg. the kids from the first episode, the random NPCs in this episode). The show just decides to focus on the ones that are, for some reason.

Overall, this was an ok episode. Barely anything happened, but Wooloo's cute shenanigans made up for that. Nice to see that Corviknight cab guy is gonna be a recurring character, too.

Nice episode. Really liked it. Milo cameo was also a plus, especially since it showed what he does best, taking care of Wooloo. Although a small nitpick, the Wooloo were really tiny.

Nessa is next by the looks of things. I wonder if we are gonna see Sonia as well, since they are friends in the game.

Cute...but a little too close to what goes on in the TV Show for my liking...

Already looking forward to the Nessa episode next month though :)

I was just wondering when the next episode of this series would be out, so I was really happy to see this when I woke up. Easily the best episode so far. This was just too cute. Wooloo is the most precious bean ever. His Charizard impersonations are adorable af and I just love him. Hop is the Leon stan he should be. I lol'd seeing him playing with that Charizard toy. I do wish we'd seen a bit more of Hop; such as seeing him realizing that Wooloo had gone missing and more of him actively searching for Wooloo. Quite honestly, I could have done without Milo. I mean, Turffiield is quite a ways away from Postwick anyway. I would have preferred the focus to be 100% on Hop and Wooloo.

I had to say, I thought it was a bit funny when Hop was saying what he said to Wooloo when he screamed out to him in the taxi, knowing that in the games Hop replaces Wooloo for a bit in the games. :LOL: Either way, this episode was great. I'm a bit bummed that it seems Nessa is next for an episode. Don't get me wrong, I love Nessa, I just really want my son, Allister. :cry:

It was a very cute episode. It didn't grab my attention as much as the last two, but it was certainly adorable. The main characters so far through this series have felt very real and fleshed out, despite being on-screen for just a few minutes. Hop is no exception to this (with even less screen time, since the episode mainly focuses on his partner). We really got to see the character come out in Wooloo too this episode, how much it cared what it's trainer thought about it, and the cute little extra bits of the personality of it wanting to be like Charizard are adorable.

Solid episode, I can't wait to see more from this series.

It sucked, tbh. The other two episodes had more human and honest struggles (And also starred humans, but you get what I mean.) Then you just have Wooloo being jealous, so it wanders around and gets into some mild hijinks. Then Hop is crying like he had some major epiphany about it, even though he didn't really have to learn anything? It's like a bad filler episode from the main anime, except a lot shorter.

I don't think it really fleshed anyone out or made me see anyone in a new light. I guess Hop's Wooloo now has an established personality, but ehh?

I think this episode would have been more interesting if it took place after Hop replaces Wooloo after losing to Bede. In this episode it felt like Wooloo overreacted while it would have made more sense in the context of the game's story.

Kind of heartless of Hop to even think about replacing Wooloo at all if they had already been through a similar conflict before the start of their journey. He must have been really upset about losing to Bede!

I thought that this episode was cute. I loved seeing Hop being so excited over Leon's matches and playing with a Charizard toy. Wooloo's jealousy was adorable, especially with it trying to be more like Charizard. Admittedly, the setup did remind me a lot of a Pikachu style short where the primary focus was more on the Pokemon than the humans. It was still cute to see Wooloo and Yamper in the series. Milo's cameo appearance was pretty nice. I thought that he'd get his own episode instead, which might still happen. Hop's panic over Wooloo was believable considering it looked like Wooloo was gone for at least a couple of hours. That would have made Hop think over what happened and realize that Wooloo was jealous. Their reunion was rather cute and it really showed just how happy they were to find each other again.

I would say that this easily the weakest of the shorts thus far, but I wouldn't say that this one is bad necessarily either. I think that the other shorts had more compelling and different kind of stories than we normally see in the anime. This one felt a bit more standard, especially when it did remind me of the Pikachu shorts. Plus, I wanted Hop to have more screentime in what I assume is supposed to be his episode of the mini series. He's easily my favorite Sword/Shield character, so I wanted him to have a bit more time to shine, especially when I'm not sure if he will or even if he should be in the main series. I do not want Hop to get the Hau treatment where his appearance in the main series feels ultimately unnecessary. He still gets some good moments. I still love his excitement over Leon's skills. It showed just how much he admires his big brother. And this does make his bond with Wooloo even more adorable, especially when he wants to go to the Pokemon League with Wooloo by his side. That is just so sweet. I might be more okay with this if I knew that Hop would get another episode to himself, but that's probably not going to happen. It was still a cute short full of adorable and heartfelt moments and it still told a complete story within a relatively short amount of time, but I just think it lacked some of the impact that the previous two had for me.

The other two episodes had more human and honest struggles
The struggle’s pretty human- Wooloo wants to be more like someone his trainer likes and looks up to. Think about parents comparing their children to other children.

And one episode starring a Pokemon after god knows how many episodes starring humans is a rare and welcome sight.

Then Hop is crying like he had some major epiphany about it, even though he didn't really have to learn anything?
Well, firstly he’s crying since he lost his Pokemon and it returned, and he probably learnt not to compare it to Charizard too much. He also cried because of how much Wooloo cared about his opinion of it.
——-
As for my proper review episode didn’t have the “spark” I don’t know how to explain it, but it did feel slightly weaker than the other shorts. Wooloo’s antics and desire to match Charizard was adorable, and Corviknight, as always was the great connecting factor it is.

People on YouTube think that the series is named “Twilight Wings” to symbolise Corviknight, who connects the shorts.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom