• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN033: Would You Like To Do a Pokémon Trade?

Kinda what I expected, to be honest. Goh is unwilling to trade his old Pinsir away, so he catches a second one a trades it away instead.

Morpeko seems to be following the trio around now. I smell a running gag.

So Koromi was the one whom Ash battles? I have to admit, did not see that coming.

Koromi has an impressive Bug Pokémon collection.

Eh, a really average and relatively slow episode. The PWC match in this episode was not as interesting as the previous 1v1s because of how short and straightforward it was, and because Pikachu was given prominence again instead of Gengar or Galarfetch'd (so much for Ash 'neglecting' Pikachu, JN030 is a flop episode). More Sobble crying gags and instant one ball captures don't help. The trade portion itself was very underwhelming and meh, there wasn't much going for it in the first place (unlike Buizel/Aipom).

Ironically, TRio kept this episode interesting in the middle portion at least before the entire generic "catch Pikachu but be blasted off" shtick came into the picture, along with that irritating vending machine (you know that machine has overstayed its welcome when the Pokemon from it turn out to be useless and result in TRio attacking their opponents themselves). Even the implication with Morpeko having followed them to their Vermilion base went nowhere, and is moving too slowly for a potential capture plot line. And hopefully it doesn't turn into "follow TRio around and leave them hungry without being captured", that novelty will wear off very quickly given how they've been lacking in their own team's department.

On a side note, I didn't notice it in the preview but now that I did, it's triggering my OCD.
Desktop Screenshot 2020.08.16 - 14.35.22.93.png

Last edited:
Congratulations this was Team Rocket best episode in this series.

However why is Morpeko there? why are those huge plotholes with Team Rocket this season. First Chewtle and now this. Why they don't care about them?

The change of Role is interesting though last season they invaded Bewear home and now his home is invaded by hungry dictator Morpeko.

Also I guessed one of Jessies Pokemon in the gatcha what do I win?

Jessie: Sableye,Scolipede or Hariyama
James: Dodrio,Ninjask or Druddigon

Also I like to point that the gatcha Pokemon did nothing Jessie and Meowth were the ones that attacked. What the heck?

An okay episode for pretty much average segment and also the Team Rocket Dispenser providing for the combat. Just literally pointless and for only show up themselves and never combat whatsoever. Also, the female Pinsir that Goh's owned had finally got her life long partner to the series ended. Yup, the Mo

Overall rating: C+

Not the best episode but not the worst either. Sobble gag was somehow inoffensive, but the one-ball catch was once again bad. Battle came from nowhere and was just more Pikachu spam, but at least it was with the actual COTD and not some random nobody otherwise irrelevent to the plot. As filler villain Team Rocket go they weren't bad here other than showing that the gacha machine mechanic is shit, but we already knew that anyway. I liked Koromi enough but she's probably not someone I'd want to meet in real life since her expertise on personal space is roughly equivalent to this series planner's expertise on how many prominent mainstay female characters there should be.

Perfectly inoffensive episode, I'll give it a C+ because the obligatory conflict Team Rocket appearance was better than most in this series and it had a female character featured prominently in it.

I'm glad they didn't get rid of Goh's Pinsir, but to be honest I know it would end up in the same team like Heracross because of it's feelings and since the new opening we know Goh would obtain Heracross. It's nice the bug girl picked up on Pinsir's feelings.

I also thought it was possible Goh would catch another wild Pinsir to trade away.

So what's the deal with Morpeko? It's terrorizing TRio nog? How did it get in Kanto? Last time we was it it was in another region (Galar) and it blasted TRio off/away. I'm feeling a part of it's story is missing. At least it feels this way.

The RotomDex is weird, it can’t identify a Scorbunny which is covered in mud but it CAN identify what this girl is cosplaying as. Feels like it works very differently to Pokédexs previously in the series.

I will always take an episode about bug type Pokémon; So cool that Scolipede and Drapion were here - pity they didn’t do anything. The gacha as it means to show off more Pokémon would be better, if they actually shown them off.

cant we just have James catch Morpeko? Bewear worked because they lived with her, but I’m having a hard time believing the hungry little mouse followed them back.

Usual Journeys episode fodder and not even the PWC battle was interesting or worth caring about since Ash was going to obviously win anyway.

"Move along folks, there really ain't nothin to see here. Just a bunch' a haystacks rolling away."

I guess when Raboot evolves he will take the lead.

I never cared about Sobble. Inteleon, Cinderace and Grookey are more appealing to me.

However what is with this trend of having Team Rocket with plotholes that are adressed late.

Remember Chewtle? He was ¿Captured? by Rockets in episode 13 then he did not appear untill Episode 17 inside the Gatcha, without us knowing nothing and without a hint of that happening.

Now we face the same problem with Morpeko: He/She appeared in Episode 28 blasted Team Rocket and now appears in another region inside Team Rocket lair without any explanation on how he is there, and how he reached another region. Also it was no hint of him in Team Rocket last appearence.

Please writters can you take a minute off Go shenanigans and explain what the hell is happening with Team Rocket. You're really bad with Team Rocket this season.

Could any off you just explaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaain what is going on?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OD0v9kvlMOA

The RotomDex is weird, it can’t identify a Scorbunny which is covered in mud but it CAN identify what this girl is cosplaying as. Feels like it works very differently to Pokédexs previously in the series.
Gou recognized the Pokemon that the girl was cosplaying as and specifically asked the RotomDex to bring up Kricketune's dex entry.

Anyway, this was an average episode. Not much to say about it, frankly speaking. The PWT battle here felt kinda meaningless, though I guess the writers might be trying to build-up Ash's win streak before his potential loss next episode. Heracross is a nice addition to Gou's collection, it's nice to see him actually battling with it for a bit here considering that's something he rarely does in this series. Also, I like how the COTD considered Drapion to be a Bug-type Pokemon even though it already lost its Bug typing upon evolving. Morpeko appearing again in this episode is kinda interesting, but considering that it's been ages since we last saw Chewtle, I have absolutely no idea what the writers are trying to do with it.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom