• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN075: Cresselia - A Midsummer Night's Light

What a great episode to see the Lunar Duo combination and also gladed nobody else catch them. Just to see how Matori and Team Rocket get their ass kicked for facing the wraith of Lunar Duo. Also, wondering what kind of Chloe future will she be even trying out being coordinator fell short and the reunion of Ash and Dawn suck.

Overall rating: B+

And just as I had expected and feared, everything was rushed to kingdom come and nothing was worth caring about.
(Ash, Dawn, Pikachu and Piplup hardly had any little moments together, not even that high five. Why?)
This two parter blows. They brought Dawn back and this was the best they could come up with? Gimme a break.

Nice cameos from Brock though, those were nice.

I wish we got to see the rest of Dawn’s team, but at least we saw Togekiss and Brock through flashbacks. The Team Rocket conflict was pretty rushed as well. I enjoyed the character interactions in this episode though, it’s cool that we got to see Dawn hang out with the others a bit.

And just as I had expected and feared, everything was rushed to kingdom come and nothing was worth caring about.

This two parter blows. They brought Dawn back and this was the best they could come up with? Gimme a break.
I thought this was good. It took its time to build up things before reaching a satisfying conclusion.

I haven't had the chance to see the episode yet, what is Brock's art style in the cameos? Is it more like the original, similar to SM, or something completely new?

I haven't had the chance to see the episode yet, what is Brock's art style in the cameos? Is it more like the original, similar to SM, or something completely new?
Similar to how he looked in SM but now in his D&P clothes.

No Contest at the end, after all.
That's why all hype for this 2 episodes saga/arc become disappointment for me, even trailer for both episodes shown small glimpse of Contests, so I thought I can see my favorite think again after a decade in Anime, but it end up as meme now.:mad::(:cry:

The Pokemon anime has a real problem with delivering finishers to supposedly hype stories... I thought last week was a really good set up but instead of capitalising on its momentum, this episode reset from zero and had to build right back up again for the entire first half of the episode - just why?! It was the lamest combo of nothing happening that couldn't have been predicted beforehand and everything that was delivered being done so in a totally unremarkable fashion. A third episode might have helped them decompress though tbh little enough actually happened in this episode that they might have struggled with filling another 22 minutes...

I'm not in love with them using the Matori Matrix as TRio level jobbers. Like this quality of scheme could easily have been TRio alone without having to make Matori look like a muppet for the sake of a few short seconds of screen time.

I will say I'm glad we got to see more Hikari/Koharu chit chat - wish we could only see it over a longer period than this!!

For me the most nostalgic thing about the episode was the art/animation... Pre-break was like a classic Takeda/Kinoshita static image slideshow, and post-break was more dynamic movement but with some rather shonky art :p Very DP-era-anime-esque lol.

Aside from a few cute moments, with Koharu failing at the Contest Move, as she should (Goh…looking at you), and TR pulling Lunatone and Dusknoir from the Gatcha (Haha, very funny, writers), I still feel as though this was a waste.

It’s not a bad episode, it’s just alright, but they wasted so much potential. Once they decided to start the episode with them treating Cresselia, then talking, they lost momentum, and surprise, surprise, Matori Matrix was shoved in. They’re not even fun villains, they’re competent enough to give our heroes a tough time, but have no personality outside of that.
Ash and Goh didn’t even need to be there. If anything, Hikari and Ash’s reunion could have been scrapped to allow for more time towards the battle for Eevee, Koharu and Cresselia to reinforce their dynamic.

Does it do it’s job with Koharu, yes. So, can I even be mad with this episode? Not really?

Last edited:
Ok, so, while I get complaints about the "lack" of Ash/Dawn moments (that I disagree with) and the Team Rocket stuff (which I get)...what I really like about this is this was always to be about Koharu...and they stuck with that, but also, this vastly improved the DP version of this episode. Dawn/Koharu was the dynamic many didn't know they wanted until it happened (and I wonder with the winter special being announced, if that'll come back then). Koharu trying a contest routine out was nice to see as well, and when the "gang" meets up, I thought the interactions were good (particularly at the end, special shoutout to Cinderace "taking notes" over whatever Piplup was saying). So, I get some disappointment (primarily for Team Rocket (not TRio) fans in particular) but for me, the Koharu stuff (especially with them adding the element of her dad's "excuse" in the first part becoming relevant to her lesson) more than makes up for it, as does the good character interaction. Good return, good arc.

Why were the TRio even here? All they did was eat up precious screentime.
Why was the Matori Matrix even here when the TRio could have literally just done all the stuff here that they did?

If anything, they may look more intimidating sure but they're really proving themselves to be no better than the TRio or even Butch and Cassidy in their worse days.

Gee I'm starting to sound a bit like Dogasu now aren't I?

At the end of the episode, they announced a new episode that said something alongside the lines of “Winter episode announced”, with relation to another legendary appearing in the Sinnoh region, with Dialga and Palkia in the background.

I guess we’re heading back so soon!

....Honestly I'm getting the feeling that we as Pokemon fans don't like stuff that isn't focused on Ash. I prefer it when we focus on Ash, but that seems to be a common trait. It's just rare that Chloe is the one to inspire this, and not Goh.

...Though Chloe seems to draw a lot less desire to rip and tear flesh than Goh does in these scenarios.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom