• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN090: Dialga & Palkia! The Space-Time Showdown!!

Full VA list courtesy of Adamant

Rica Matsumoto: Satoshi
Daiki Yamashita: Go
Ikue Ohtani: Pikachu
Kana Hanazawa: Koharu
Megumi Hayashibara: Musashi
Shinichiro Miki: Kojiro
Inuko Inuyama: Nyarth
Yuji Ueda: Sonansu
Etsuko Kozakura: Pochama
Daisuke Namikawa: Lucario
Kenta Miyake: Kairyu
Kei Shindo: Eievui
Yasuhiro Mamiya: Gangar
Risa Shimizu: Flygon
Hana Takeda: Sarunori
Sayaka Senbongi: Skutank
Shogo Sakata: Inteleon
Megumi Toyoguchi: Hikari
Tomo Sakurai: Shirona
Eizo Tsuda: B Nanakamado
Yuki Shin: Rocket Gang Member
Noriaki Kanze: Rocket Gang Member
Marina Aicholtz: Go's Smartphone Rotom
Kenyu Horiuchi: Narration

This was so weird. It felt just like a fanfic made real, complete with so many wish fulfilment elements (AU, baby versions, return of hype queens Hikari and Shirona, evil and effective TRio) with a complete absence of a sensible plot.

It had that characteristic of bizarre events with absurd and unexplained resolutions which is a hallmark of ye olde Yonemura comedy episodes and is what makes them so funny (see DP’s Evil Togepi) but is actually just lame in an episode which is supposed to be serious.

Where were the stakes? Main characters has been transported to an alternate universe, been aged backwards, Pikachu had seemingly irreversibly gone back into its egg, why were these events handles so casually? Don’t get me wrong I actually enjoyed watching many of the elements of the episode but I had zero emotional investment. Too many characters? Maybe, but SM showed that it could handle a big cast and still pack a punch.

Well at least Ash gets to add Dratini, Dragonair, Gastly, and Haunter to his owned list if the Bulbapedia article edits are any indication.

Well we finally know who each egg belonged to

I'm still irritated by the lack of unique egg designs. Riolu and Sobble's eggs literally look the exact same and that's fucking boring

Just look at this a try to spot a difference
20211210_080516.jpg

20211210_111037.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah. But I figured they were referring to listing them on episode pages. Not sure if they're really possible on individual Pokémon articles.

It seems like they are, given how edits on Gengar and Dragonite have been done.

Can someone please explain to me how every other unevolved Pokémon became an egg yet Nyarth simply became younger?
Other Pokémon like Pikachu were also showed to forget moves first before devolving and/or becoming an egg. Meowth was still in this stage. Forgetting skills it learned in the past before devolving further.

As a bonus, not that I'm sure the writers thought about it (not even sure if it was an original statement or a dub one) but in the past Meowth once claimed he couldn't learn the move Payday because learning how to talk filled up his empty move slots. So it even fits with this statement. Meowth was still forgetting moves before devolving into an egg.

It seems like the writers are actually trying to kill off the anime. This was unsatisfactory.
Actually interesting set-up that lead to the second half utter failure at delivering.

Regarding those edits, I would attempt to undo them and prevent their spread.
This is not Digimon, damn it!

They resolved the story through a literal Deus ex Machina. How unsatisfyingly anticlimactic.
Like praying to Arceus is literally Sinnoh lore as the God of the region and controls Dialga/Palkia. It was the best way to end the episode with the kids de-aged and pokemon as eggs. What else were they to do? Back in the DP anime and movies they made this all apparent that praying to Arceus was part of Sinnoh culture. In fact it was my favorite part of the episode.

First off, Mirror-TR actually had a good disguise. At least these writers can make some pretty clever jokes.
Secondly, I didn’t watch last week’s episode until this came out, so I could gather thoughts about the arc as a whole. I thought the first episode was the first time, in a long time, the show was actually well-paced, setting up interesting plot-points to sign off with. However, I didn’t want to get my expectations up.
And, I hate to be gloomy about this, but…dammit. This was so underwhelming. Overall it was fine, this series just keeps letting me down, even when I didn’t have any expectations going into this.

I said it’s a good thing (in the preview) Mirror-TR were utilised instead of the Matori Matrix, as they’re stale villains - the TR here were just as plain, with literally no personality at all; Jessie, James and Meowth were all exactly akin to one another. Couldn’t have we had an evil Cynthia? Would have been as flat, but pretty intimidating none-the-less.
Also, nice to see our TR literally contribute nothing again. I thought they at least would have been in the final battle, and perhaps try to use all the Gatcha Pokemon, inadvertently causing them all to in-evolve, cramming the battlefield.
Speaking of being redundant, Dawn? She was fairly useful in the first part, then just stagnates. Throwing in an aspect that her counter-part is the runner up of the Sinnoh League, was as I expected, completely a dud.
And that just reflect a massive aspect of Journeys for me, there’s thoughts of doing something for the sake of doing it, with questioning of why they’re doing it. What was the point in the aforementioned Mirror-Dawn’s achievement? It’s there to entice people to watch. Nothing wrong with that, it’s a show after all, except all it’s doing is leaving a massive whole in the void where these points assist to nil, in turn creating feelings of complete disappoint these don’t expand, like there has been for this episode, ruining the viewings. It’s like showing Ash having Mega-Lucario, yet not establishing a proper arc for its growth and bond with said trainer, compromising all attachment. Or, having a popular starter in Inteleon being in the group, with a story so half-assed its rushed, making it completely butchered. A Gengar with Gigantamax, Grookey, a few characters reappearing without much impact, etc. It’s not bad to have these things, they are just not being utilised properly, and it’s extremely frustrating.
Then, that conclusion was pretty weak. I don’t even know what to say, it’s just not concentrated well and leaves no impact. It makes sense given where they are and all, but it is such a cheap way to resolve things.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom