• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN092: Gangar Does Its Best! The Road to Kyodaimax!!

Part of me was actually wondering if Ash might have left Gengar with Allister and caught the Dreepy that he appeared to have befriended earlier which he didn't. Oh well

A bit annoyed that Ash didn't have a battle with Allister to check out its Gigantamax form

I was like “Are they seriously going to train in Bea’s gym without Bea appearing?” and then Bea appeared at the gym both times they went there so that was cool.

This is a good episode for Gengar - and this pretty much confirms more to come from Gengar, with Ash’s next Ultra Class battle hopefully making use of it?

Teasing me with Dreepy getting cute with Ash there… I know it’s probably too late for Ash to catch an unevolved Pokémon… oh well.

So Allister is one of those ‘minor gym leaders’ we heard about?

Full VA list courtesy of Adamant

Rica Matsumoto: Satoshi
Daiki Yamashita: Go
Ikue Ohtani: Pikachu
Yuichi Nakamura: Professor Sakuragi
Yasuhiro Mamiya: Gangar
Hana Takeda: Sarunori
Sayaka Senbongi: Dorameshiya
Yoko Hikasa: Saito
Chiyuki Miura: Onion
Marina Aicholtz: Go's Smartphone Rotom
Kenyu Horiuchi: Narration

I'd say that this episode was pretty good, considering how crunched for time it was. Ash finally get's his G-Max Gengar, who also FINALLY returns in full to the spotlight. I also like how we get to see more of Alister's personality in this episode, and also that ending scene with him and Gengar. I also don't know why, but I found Gengar's enthusiasm to be also comedic in a good way.
I also like how Allister's gym doesn't actually have the ability to accommodate Dynamaxed Pokemon so they had to head to Bea's stadium to test out the Gigantamax, which also allowed us to meet Bea again Ash vs Bea re-rematch confirmed?
The only issues I have are the fact that we have one of the conflicts started AGAIN by the little shit and the crunch for time preventing much further development, but still good nonetheless.
Also can we talk about how in the Darkest Day are the Stow-on-Side stadium had no symbols and appeared to be Allister's but now it's Bea's? Someone explain thi-

I'd give this an episode an 8/10.

A bit annoyed that Ash didn't have a battle with Allister to check out its Gigantamax form
Personally I'd say that this was probably due to time constrants

79 episodes. It took 79 episodes for Ash to actively use his Dynamax Band, and he doesn't even get to use it on anything. It's astounding how when Gengar gets focus, it still feels like it's being neglected.
I for one am glad a Ash Pokémon's development or growth in this show doesn't tie into a battle for once and we can just leave room for that later and have a more laid back development episode because JN sorely lacks this

Bea was a huge surprise, also i was wondering what would the interactions between her and Allister would be like

And somehow they didn't give Doronchi to Gou, but a Galarian Suniigo instead....
Either way it is a cool Pokemon being utterly wasted.

I did fell for the tease with Satoshi and Dorameshiya, since that line was my choice for his Ace in a SwSh anime.
That was a really cute scene and actually wanted him to catch it.

And the green gremlin strikes again, I am hating it even more with each of its appearances.

I did enjoy that Gengar got focus and bonded with Onion.

I hate Grookey. Also, I held my breath most of the time Dreepy and Drakloak were on-screen, because I couldn’t shake the feeling Goh would toss a Poké Ball at any moment. Seeing the way Ash and Dreepy interacted was such a tease :cry:

All in all, I enjoyed the episode, and it was nice to see Gengar get some focus for the first time in a while.

Grookey causes yet another cataclysm that could have endangered countless lives. That green rascal seriously needs a timeout. Goh's relationship with Grookey makes him seem like an incompetent mother who can't control her rambunctious child. I don't really condone spanking since its been shown to actually INCREASE misbehavior rather than deter it, and the Pokemon world's culture seems like it would frown upon the practice, too, so maybe just settlle for grounding the little sh*t for an episode or two, hmm?

Speaking of which, this probably deserves its own thread but I can't really make sense of the Pokemon world's socio-political values? It seems vaguely ... Nordic/Canadian/British style liberal? The healthcare is apparently free, afterall, but other than that its hard to really say.

The scene between Gengar and Allister was so cute and I loved getting a glimpse of his face. He seems really kind towards ghost types and its clear they can sense that he isn't going to treat them like monsters the way other humans (and Pokemon) do.

There aren't English subs out yet so I'm not entirely sure why he was being jumpy around Bea. Maybe he has a crush on her? Who knows, but I also loved his interactions with Ash. It was funny seeing them apparently making each other uncomfortable, and then the way Ash grabbed Allister's hand and literally pulled him off his feet was hilarious. Also I could be misinterpreting the poor quality closed captions but I think at the end of the episode Ash said that he wanted to meet Allister again.

This was a nice episode for Gengar. Glad we finally got Gigantamax Gengar and I hope the next Ultra Class battle will have Gengar NOT jobbing. Also it seems Allister is a minor league Gym Leader here. I love that we got to see him unmasked also. Of course they had to shove in another forced pointless capture for Goh, though I'm glad it wasn't Drakloak. Also, I've had it with that out of control Grookey causing more problems and never being reprimanded for it. Grookey is far worse than Oshawott at this point.

Due to how attached Allister was getting to Gengar with it hugging him and they the flashback playing this almost felt like it would wind up being the usual release episode where Ash leaves his pokemon with someone. Really strange, we knew it wouldn't happen because Ash getting it to Gigantamax would be pointless otherwise but why did the ep point in that direction?

Kinda funny how much the ep teased the Dreepy with Ash but I knew he wouldn't capture it. Also surprised they didn't have Go even attempt to get it. It's always weird how the writers choose to have him capture some pokemon at random like Corsola but not any others

Well Serena and Goh have something in common :ROFLMAO: (jk)

20211224_140818.jpg

I hate Grookey. Also, I held my breath most of the time Dreepy and Drakloak were on-screen, because I couldn’t shake the feeling Goh would toss a Poké Ball at any moment. Seeing the way Ash and Dreepy interacted was such a tease :cry:

All in all, I enjoyed the episode, and it was nice to see Gengar get some focus for the first time in a while.
Grookey serves as filler, even though Sobble wasn’t seen much, it got some development at least.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom