• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN101: One Stick, Bachinkey!

Obviously I'd have to wait for subs but I saw nothing in this episode to indicate that Sarunori ever wants to evolve. I think this was just a basic "let's show off the middle grass evolution and get it out of the way" episode.

The most remarkable thing about this episode was that Satoshi actually remembered he has Negigaknight.

1647006771149.png

All memeing aside, I feel that this episode is personally rather meh. We have a small amount of development for the Little Shit in this episode, but you know they've done it dirty when even the CoTD Thwackey has had more development compared to a 40+ . We do get to see Kamon again, so that's nice, and he also plays into advancing the plot. I like how the story resolved itself, but not for the lack of development for the Little Shit. This is one episode they could have made him appear more mature as part of its development, and yet it mostly feels like this issue he's been resolved at all.
4/10.

Full VA list courtesy of Adamant

Rica Matsumoto: Satoshi
Daiki Yamashita: Go
Ikue Ohtani: Pikachu
Shinichiro Miki: Negigaknight
Kenta Miyake: Gorirander
Hana Takeda: Sarunori
Kei Shindo: Bachinkey
Sayaka Senbongi: Bachinkey
Riho Sugiyama: Bachinkey
Hina Natsume: Bachinkey
Mariko Nagai: Bachinkey
Haruka Shamoto: Wife Bachinkey
Noriaki Kanze: Yokubarisu
Kohsuke Tanabe: Ingredient Seller
Marina Aicholtz: Go's Smartphone Rotom
Kenyu Horiuchi: Narration

Thwacky
Thwacky
Thwacky
Thwacky
Thwakey
And Girl Thwacky!

Last edited:
Wow… this wasn’t even really a Grookey focus episode… cool to see Sirfetch’d appear and even show a tiny slither of personality…

I like that Ash is the one that solves all the problems these days - great guy.

Thwackey was nice in this episode - more of a character than Grookey or even some of Ash’s Pokémon… glad they did it justice here since it’s not going to be on the main cast (not that being on the main cast was so great for Drizzile)

I guess "one-stick Bachinkey" is a metaphor for coping with disabilities. In hindsight, this episode focusing on Sarunori's evolution is probably a coincidence, since they most likely choose Bachinkey because its use of stick is suitable for the metaphor. Sarunori was irrelevant other than the confirmation that he sees Gou as his family.

It was an OK episode. Goh failing to capture anything will always be entertaining to me. Thwacky's development was clearly the highlight. Now does this episode make me care about Goh's Grookey?... Nope. Still don't care. Finally ranking, C.

Rica Matsumoto: Satoshi
Daiki Yamashita: Go
Ikue Ohtani: Pikachu
Shinichiro Miki: Negigaknight
Kenta Miyake: Gorirander
Hana Takeda: Sarunori
Noriaki Kanze: Yokubarisu
Kohsuke Tanabe: Ingredient Seller
Marina Aicholtz: Go's Smartphone Rotom
Kenyu Horiuchi: Narration
Seeing so much Bachinkey on this list made me laugh.

I still despise the monkey, that is not going to change.

People are already mocking Gou's attempt to release it.
Comparing it unfavourably to Satoshi with Pikachu in Kanto.

Still don't know if this episode was made with that parallel on mind.

This is the third Grass-type mid evolution they have debuted in the 90-100ish (95 for Quilladin, 97 for Dartrix) episode range for a saga; I'm starting to wonder if there is some kind of bias the writers or whoever is in charge has for/against them.

This is the third Grass-type mid evolution they have debuted in the 90-100ish (95 for Quilladin, 97 for Dartrix) episode range for a saga; I'm starting to wonder if there is some kind of bias the writers or whoever is in charge has for/against them.
I don't think it's bias,

It's just that for the last 3 Generations the Grass Starter has been the Least popular of it's Trio in Japan, so they tend to show up later than usual

And even so, Thwacky was still handled better than Drizzile IMO

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom