• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN143: Riding on Laplace♪

Best one since episode 3. I liked how Pikachu threatened Team Rocket into help and how they're being canonically stupid to use a pokémon ball.

All 7 of Ash's (former) pokémon did at least contributed in trying to solve the problem. Which is a good thing. Also the pokémon Misty and Brock used did something.

And Lapras did the final action.

Good thing we saw Lapras' herd again at the end. Is it explained where they were and if Lapras is still the leader of the herd?

Full VA list courtesy of Adamant

Rica Matsumoto: Satoshi
Ikue Ohtani: Pikachu
Mayumi Iizuka: Kasumi
Yuji Ueda: Takeshi
Megumi Hayashibara: Musashi
Shinichiro Miki: Kojiro
Inuko Inuyama: Nyarth
Mika Kanai: Bayleaf
Rikako Aikawa: Laplace
Katsuyuki Konishi: Heracros
Kenta Miyake: Hoeruko
Tatsuki Kobe: Hoeruko
Kenyu Horiuchi: Narration

Lol they actually stretched out the 'water-type-stuck in ground' plotline for a whole ep. But it was fun this time. Reserves made the ep for me, but funny moments like Wailmer evolving, Pikachu threatening TR and Ash tickling Wailord with Heracross/Bayleef. Nice hearing classic OSTs again, that unova one near the end took me back

10/10 cause of this. Such grace

Screenshot 2023-02-24 at 10.02.21 pm.png

If I recall correctly they tried using a Poke Ball on the stupid Marshtomp and it didn’t work for some reason?

This episode was a lot of fun, we got to see a lot of Pokémon and Lapras had a great moment too.

I guess they really wanted to reference the Pikachu Summer vacation short when Charizard got stuck. Although I think this episode was kind of boring since we have no connection to Wailord. It think what made the scene with Charizard so great was that it was a rare scene of it showing vulnerability when it cried (possibly referencing how it was left out in the rain).

What a fantastic episode to save Wailmer before it evolve into Wailord to got even worse. Also love to see Lapras return back before it heading back to it friends once more. Also, Pikachu threaten Team Rocket to help along and got backstab and drown on the sea inside their Magikarp submarine again. Also, at the end should have suggest earlier to throw poke-ball. But my only guesses, they might don't have any of it.

Overall rating: B

It started off painfully slow but it thankfully picked up soon enough. A really fun episode.

It's similar to the Beartic one in the sense that it's all about helping a wild Pokémon, but there's the "teamwork" factor thrown in, plus returning the favor. I honestly can't remember that many plotlines where it's a group of wild Pokémon the ones rescuing Ash for a change (even though it was just Lapras and Wailord here). And Ash and co. actually remembering they have Pokémon of their own to help too! A common flaw during this arc that thankfully wasn't present here, and all of them got their little moments.

On the other hand, I don't like how Latias just stood there watching the whole time. I guess her big 10-seconds of action last week left her fatigued.

The comedy was on point, I cracked up when noticing Wailmer was going to evolve, the Pikachu / Team Rocket interactions were funny and they actually aknowledged the whole epiosde could've been avoided with a Poké Ball (something the anime often forgets altogether). The use of AG and BW music were highlights to me as well.

Kunihiko Yuyama said they wanted to change the endings way more, so I'm glad they could get the Lapras one for this episode at least. It means both Brock and Misty got their songs featured in here. Fingers crossed it's not the final ED change though since we have a Team Rocket episode coming up.

This was a very fun episode, even if it is slightly rehashing the plot from DP which also involved a Hoeruko getting stuck and evolving at an inopportune moment. I really appreciated everyone getting to play a part in the rescue, and Pikachu spotting and threatening Team Rocket into helping was just great.

Also, I find it hilarious that out of all of Satoshi's fully evolved starter Pokemon it's Dodaitose who learns an elemental Hyper Beam given that it's arguably the weakest of them all.

This episode is ironically the most Kenji appeared since forever.

Also, Satoshi, the first time in this miniseries, had a full party with him.

Funny how the episode I mentioned back then in the thread Episodes that you can't stand to watch has almost same plot for yet another time.

I think the only episode I enjoyed to the fullest has been the second episode where Ash and Misty battled each other. The rest has been quite average to me, including this one.

"Couldn't we have just caught the Wailmer?"

Rubbish. Wasn't it NOT established in the Marshtomp Segment of one episode that Pokemon caught in a situational bind like a dried up mud-hole CANNOT BE CAUGHT IN A POKEBALL? I find that establishment irately ludicrous, and now the writers who wrote this now have the gall to bring that up? And to makes this horribly worse - is that Brock's Marshtomp is in this episode as a visible reminder of SAID SEGMENTED EPISODE. (though I expected Misty go crazy gaga over seeing Marshtomp, but then again given the Wailmer caught in a hole situation, that's now passed.)

Last edited:
Can someone tell me the bgm when the Lapras herd comes in at the end? Brain farting and its too late I give up
That's Petalburg City from AG.

Funny how the episode I mentioned back then in the thread Episodes that you can't stand to watch has almost same plot for yet another time.
Funny how Hidden Mew's response to you was that the anime wasn't in the business of treating captures as something trivial. Now it has to be brought up because how trivial captures are treated.

"Couldn't we have just caught the Wailmer?"

Rubbish. Wasn't it NOT established in the Marshtomp Segment of one episode that Pokemon caught in a situational bind like a dried up mud-hole CANNOT BE CAUGHT IN A POKEBALL?
It's true, but the Poké Ball rules have been so inconsistent throughout the show the Marshtomp plot already felt like rubbish back then, at least this is a better approach IMO. It wouldn't surprise me if both of them contradict something previous series had established though.

I was saying, at least try a Poke Ball, glad someone actually mentioned they could have done it, saved a lot of time
If they do use a Poké ball then Latias wouldn't be able to see how kind-hearted Ash is and this is an essential part required leading up to the episode when Latias asks him to help save Latios. Because by then, Latias would trust Ash enough to asks for his help.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom