• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S06 EP31: Sharpedo Attack!

Dogasu

ロケット団よ永遠
Reaction score
Japanese Episode 019: "Escape! Sharpedo Island!"
American Episode 019: "Sharpedo Attack"

0403.jpg

The end of the Hagi (Briney) mini-arc.

Post your thoughts about the episodes here. Please mark any spoilers for episodes not that have yet to air in America in spoiler tags.

OK, are Sharpedo's eyes in segments or does it just have a strip of flesh over part of it?

I thought this was some nice development for Brock, as we see him use his Bonding Skills...

And YAY Magicarp Sub!

But what's that ribbon TR uses during their motto? They use it like a relay stick...

Why did Brock get so pissed off when he found out TR had been the ones to poison Sharpedo? After all, it *was* wild and it attacked them (just as they had attacked the Twerps earlier, so Brock should know)

Briney's explination on why Rough Skin doesn't work anymore makes no sense. It just...defies logic. Seriously now, that would indicate that Sharpedo can control the texture of its skin.

When Briney was talking about how the island doesn't have a name, am I the only one who commented "This island...doesn't even exist!"? Seriously, I expected it to vanish like Brigadoon.

And this has happened before, and it'll happen again, but it too defies logic--when TR is pedaling after the Wingull ship, they suddenly think that they have to go faster. And of course, when they *do* go faster, they lose track of the ship. Never mind that they had managed to keep track of it since it left land...

The twerps are always looking for excuses to get angry at Team Rocket. "You can't capture those wild Omanyte that are free for trainers to capture! They've been free for too long!" Oy.

Perhaps Rough Skin works like fur? When the Sharpedo are agitated, their skin tenses, causing the scales to stick close together and rise up?

If I found an island that didn't have a name, I'd be sure to name it after myself!

Mr. Briney: "Welcolme to Mr. Briney Island!"
Peeko: "Da plane! Da plane!"

What, no "Jaws" rip-off music or jokes? Or maybe I missed it.

I agree with blackjack why did Brock get pissed of off he knows Sharpedo
attack people he's acting like Sharpedo only attack good people and not
bad people.Neokuwa I agree why do the twerps always attack TR it's
like they don't care about them they're people too.Ash also needs to stop using pikachu to shock TR I don't have a problem with him shocking TM and TA
but he needs to stop attacking TR.

NeoKuwa said:
What, no "Jaws" rip-off music or jokes? Or maybe I missed it.

There was a visual gag, when May and Max were in the water and the Sharpedo's POV was bopping up close to them, and you could see them above and below the water...

Blackjack Gabbiani said:
Why did Brock get so pissed off when he found out TR had been the ones to poison Sharpedo? After all, it *was* wild and it attacked them (just as they had attacked the Twerps earlier, so Brock should know)

They probably got attacked because the water in that part belonged to the Sharpedo. I think the Sharpedo only attacked because Ash and Co. were invading their territory. They're like real animals that attack when they feel their territory has been invaded.

Blackjack Gabbiani said:
Briney's explination on why Rough Skin doesn't work anymore makes no sense. It just...defies logic. Seriously now, that would indicate that Sharpedo can control the texture of its skin.
And, uh, that's a surprise why? *points to the episode when Ash rode a Ponyta in a race and it didn't burn him*

I liked TR's motto:

Jessie: "Prepare for trouble or you'll walk the plank!"
James: "Make it double or your boat will sink!"
Jessie: "That doesn't rhyme..."

That was a great episode!! Sharpedo are super cool. I liked that TR's involvment in the episode was minimal so they could focuse more on the twerps and the new pokemon. It was great how Masato tricked Ash inot agreeing to go swimming, and all the fights with the sharpedo were cool. I thought the scenes with Brock and the Sharpedo were really cute, if only he had those kinds of scenes more often. TR's apperances in this episode were very amusing. I loved the beginning of the motto ^^

Jessie: "Prepare for trouble or you'll walk the plank!"
James: "Make it double or your boat will sink!"
Jessie: "That doesn't rhyme..."

LOL. I alos liked Meowth;s ending line before they blasted off

"Darn the Sharpedos!!!" ^^

The only thing bringing it down was that Brock didn't catch Sharpedo. I think it would have made sense, since he's catching water types now, and he made friends with it. anywa, an overall rating of 4 stars.

And I'm now 100% sure that Briney was voiced by Jimmy Zoppi, or whatever his last name is, the guy who played Miki in Utena.

Well the thing about Sharpedo is that aside from Ash's Lapras (who was mainly for transportation) and Misty's Goldeen (who hardly got used anyway, case in point) the main group has never been interested in catching Pokemon that can't battle on land.

I like Mr. Briney, too bad he's a one-shot character.

Isn't it strange to see Brock ordering Water and Grass-type attacks in battle for the first time? :p This is the first time we've seen his Lotad use Razor Leaf, too bad nobody in the episode commented on it, and I'm surprised nobody here mentioned it either.

Rocketshipper said:
I alos liked Meowth;s ending line before they blasted off

"Darn the Sharpedos!!!" ^^

So that is what he said! XD; I'd thought so, but I hadn't heard it clearly enough to be sure. Waha.

Briney-ojikon. <3

... I like how it took all of three seconds for Max to stop panicking after getting scratched by the Sharpedo. Once Mr. Briney said it was Rough Skin, in that instant it went from being an attack to a "learning experience". And he was completely fine with it. ("Kinda like sandpaper! :D!!")

Taillow and Wingull flying May and Max back to the boat was the -best-. XD; I always did wonder how some Pokemon could fly people around so easily in the games (little birds like Pidgey, a ground-based bird like Dodrio, etc). The birds are so teeny and lightweight, and carrying two at a time, I can imagine it'd take alot of effort.

And really now, how can you just "forget" about a whole damned deserted island? Does the island have Magickal Memory-lapse Powers or something?

"Well the thing about Sharpedo is that aside from Ash's Lapras (who was mainly for transportation) and Misty's Goldeen (who hardly got used anyway, case in point) the main group has never been interested in catching Pokemon that can't battle on land."

Yeah, that's the wondeful thing about the games. They don't have to make sense, so you can use water-types that aren't amphibious anywhere. They just magically float in mid-air. o_O

Ash's Lapras seemed pretty competent battling on land. It's not like a Goldeen that just hops around uselessly. Sure, it would be slow if it was used in a lot of land-battles, but it could problably ice the battlefield so it could slide around easily.

"Taillow and Wingull flying May and Max back to the boat was the -best-. XD; I always did wonder how some Pokemon could fly people around so easily in the games (little birds like Pidgey, a ground-based bird like Dodrio, etc). The birds are so teeny and lightweight, and carrying two at a time, I can imagine it'd take alot of effort."

I always felt guilty ordering my little Hoothoot to cart me around. ^_^;;

NeoKuwa said:
Ash's Lapras seemed pretty competent battling on land. It's not like a Goldeen that just hops around uselessly. Sure, it would be slow if it was used in a lot of land-battles, but it could problably ice the battlefield so it could slide around easily.

I don't think it ever really did anyway, did it? Unless you count the ice-freezing contest with Nidoqueen...

I thought the whole Brock and Sharpedo scenes were very bizarre. Brock was like thoroughly complimenting a Sharpedo who had attacked them earlier, and then there's that whole scene where Sharpedo wakes up, wraps his fin around Brock, then goes back to sleep. Okay. . .

The Sharpedo had probably only attacked them (and TR) because they had unknowingly entered the Sharpedo's territory. And the reason Brock was complimenting it was to try and take its mind off the poison, that should have been quite obvious.

This was a nice, entertaining episode. Lotad's a very funny Pokemon indeed, sort of like Psyduck's replacement. It progressed quickly, and there weren't too many boring moments. It was also good to see Brock's caringness.

I loved this episode! It was really good! And Max's line, when he saw May's new swimsuit was funny, "When did you get that new swimsuit, May?". And I liked how it started, with them heading to Dewford Island/Dewford Town, and then suddenly changing course to go swimming. Ash's reaction was so funny! LOL. ^_^ And I also liked how Peeko and Taillow helped carry May and Max to the boat. That was cool! And I liked how, later, Ash distracted the Sharpedo, so Brock could battle the leader Sharpedo. That was cool! And I liked the scenes of him taking care of the Sharpedo, too. Oh, and Team Rocket's motto was funny! I liked it when Jessie said the, "That doesn't rhyme" part. LOL. Although, I also thought it was weird how he reacted to Team Rocket when he found out they were the ones who poisoned it. Anyway, I liked how Ash started to blast off Team Rocket, but then realized that he didn't have to this time! That was funny! And I liked it when he said, "Team Rocket, look behind you", and there were all those Sharpedo around Team Rocket. That was so funny! LOL. And the even played the Advance Adventure instumental theme in the background during that scene! I love that song! Oh, and I really liked how when all the Sharpedo went over to Brock, their Rough Skin didn't hurt him. That was cool! And I loved what Ash said when he was petting one of the Sharpedo: "Learning stuff like this makes me love Pokemon even more". ^_^ And at the end, I liked the part after Mr. Briney said maybe they'd meet again sometime and everyone said "Yeah", May said, "I'll have a new swimsuit by then". That was funny! LOL. And, overall, this was a very good episode that had some great moments in it!

Rating: 9 out of 10

grounder said:
I agree with blackjack why did Brock get pissed of off he knows Sharpedo
attack people he's acting like Sharpedo only attack good people and not
bad people.
Well Brock was upset over how poisoned the Sharpedo was. Note that when Team Rocket pointed out they were only defending themselves Brock stopped condemning them.

Neokuwa I agree why do the twerps always attack TR it's
like they don't care about them they're people too.Ash also needs to stop using pikachu to shock TR I don't have a problem with him shocking TM and TA
but he needs to stop attacking TR.
Ash almost always attacks them only after they attack him or someone else first. Do you really expect him to do nothing while they try to take his or someone else's Pokemon?

And also, even if they are wild Pokemon , it is considered wrong for trainers to catch them in nets or traps instead of Pokemon battles.

If you consider "acknowledged" to be "implied throughout the course of the series" then yeah. Case in point, the ring thingys used in Mewtwo Returns.

Please note: The thread is from 20 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom