• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S07 EP05: Candid Camerupt!

Dogasu

ロケット団よ永遠
Reaction score
Japanese Episode AG 45: "Winstrate Family! Four vs. Four!"
American Episode 318: "Candid Camerupt"

1009.jpg

Kids' WB!, 10:00am ET
Ash and his friends encounter the Winstrate Family, who challenges all four of our heroes to a pokemon battle. Can Ash, May, Brock, and Max win their respective battles?

By the way, One Piece continues on the Fox Box today at 9:30am ET. You must watch it.

Post your thoughts about the episodes here. Please mark any spoilers for episodes not that have yet to air in America in spoiler tags.

Last edited:
Since when does Nuzleaf have an advantage over Camerupt?! Someone wanna tell me how that's possible? I'd go with Magcargo myself, because it wouldn't have a *dis*advantage.

Rain Dance is pathetic. I mean damn, I was expecting an actual dance.

Say, this is more about the games, but why is it when you battle Vito, he doesn't show up in your Trainer's Eyes?

Grandma Winstrate has a bigger chest than Prima. And that scares me. What also scares me is Vivi Winstrate hitting on Max.

But the scariest moment of the episode is Meowth's comment about a Snorlax in leather pants. Meowth, PLEASE tell me that isn't another one of your bizarre turn-ons.

And speaking of Meowth's bizarre turn-ons, this ep didn't have a Boss fantasy. Odd, it just seemed like something that should be there. Sad that I've come to expect them, isn't it?

Camerupt had a distinct Southern accent when it first showed up, then it vanished. I want my big Southern Camerupt back!

Since when does Nuzleaf have an advantage over Camerupt?! Someone wanna tell me how that's possible? I'd go with Magcargo myself, because it wouldn't have a *dis*advantage.

You don't call a 4x weakness to Ground a disadvantage? Nuzleaf was the best choice cause its STAB moves could actually do 1x damage. It was the only one of the three who had such a distinction.

Rain Dance is pathetic. I mean damn, I was expecting an actual dance.

That would have been funny, but kinda sad to see Alakazam do it.

Say, this is more about the games, but why is it when you battle Vito, he doesn't show up in your Trainer's Eyes?

Here's another stupid question: When do you battle Vito in the games?

But back on track, I really liked the ep. Seeing Camerupt go on a rampage was great, and it nice to not have a huge let down after the Misty eps. Hopefully the series will continue on this relative high note. HOPEFULLY the next ep won't be a tremendous let down (although, considering what happens...I don't see why it would...but I've been proven wrong before).

Since when does Magcargo have a 4x weakness?

And Vito is in Ever Grande, in the cave. He's never directly identified as a Winstrate, though, just as a "Cool Trainer", and says his family will be sad to hear he lost.

Eh, it was a fun little episode. It had lots of little giggle-moments for me, and it was quite fun seeing the Winstrate family in the anime. ^^;;

James' "Now I know what a hot dog feels like, boiled in its own juices," was priceless. A little disturbing, but priceless. :p

I wanted to see a dancing Alakazam, too, Blackjack. XP Darn. Maybe next time. I also agree on the Nuzleaf thing... I was watching and I was like "WTF?" when it came up as Nuzleaf. Really, none of those choices would've been a *good* choice.

I think I missed that line about Snorlax. o_O;; I must've been zoning out or something. Oh well, I have the episode recorded (like every other episode), so I'm sure I catch it next time. Not sure I want to, though.

The Max/Vivi thing was...interesting. It was fun to have some character interaction like that, though. Let's name it...um...Punyshipping! *Weird*

The only downsides of the episode were how short and uninteresting the battles were, and how quickly Vito decided he wanted to be a Pokémon Trainer still. It was kind of random, y'know? I though after his Grandma's whole speech on "following the dreams you want to follow," he'd be okay with returning home, because that's what he really wanted to do. But...whatever.

Blackjack Gabbiani said:
Since when does Magcargo have a 4x weakness?

Since Fire and Rock are both weak to Ground.

Blackjack Gabbiani said:
And Vito is in Ever Grande, in the cave. He's never directly identified as a Winstrate, though, just as a "Cool Trainer", and says his family will be sad to hear he lost.

OH...explains why I missed it.

bah, after the last two episodes I think this one was a disapointment. It had a few funny moments, like when everyone was running away from Camelrupt's eruption and the whole Max/Viv thing, but other than that it was boring. The battles were all way too short, Ash and the grandma didn't even finish theirs, and the plot was very un-interesting in my opinion. Was the grandma psychic or something, cause how could she have known what to say to make Vito feel better?? That scene didn't really make sense and was cheesy. I think it would have been better if Vito had come out and talked to his family and THEN she could have made the speech. The only thing that saved the episode was all the initial TR and Vito scenes, because they had some good lines and it was great to see TR being nice for awhile. Then they had to ruin it by trying to steal Pikachu in another totaly un-original scene. Couldn't they have brought out a robot or something? At least that would have been better than the "balloon and electric proof extendable hand" routine they've done a MILLION times before!
Overall: 1 Star

Next week they are finally going to show the Illumise episode. YAY!! I hope they left in the Brock and Ash scene.

I thought that an episode devoted to battling would be interesting, especially with Max being a battler.

They proved me wrong.

Max didn't even get to do anything, i understand why but it sucked. May's battle against Roselia was... meh. Brock against Victor was short and Ash and Grandma never finished.

Vito was completely uninteresting too. Maybe they'll give him a bit more character other than "I don't want to let my family down" when they bring him back. (and you soooo know they will).

Roll on Maxxed out. It looks interesting enough to give me something to hope for. I feel Skitty though just sounds abonimable - both from the name and the fact that Skitty features. Contest and Gym ASAP pleasles and end the filler nonsense.

Jessie: "Looks like nobody's home."
James: "Unless they're very tiny."

WTH? XD XD

LOL, Geodude!

That was so funny!

And I love that quote!! XD

Anyway, this was a pretty good episode. And I love how it came on at the beginning with all of them hot and thirsty and everything. It was really nostalgic, cause it reminded me of Johto in a way. And I liked getting to see the Winstrate family in the anime! That was really cool! ^_^ And it was so funny how Vivi was attracted to Max! LOL. Oh, and of course, the best part of the episode was the battles. And like a few people mentioned before me, Brock's battle was short, but I still liked it anyway. May's battle was really cool! And I loved how she got to battle a Roselia! It reminded me of Drew's Roselia. LOL. Oh, and of course, it was so cool to see Max battle again! And I liked how he got to use Ash's Corphish! Although, it was funny how, even though he didn't really do anything, he still won the match. LOL. And I really loved Ash's battle! It was so cool! And even though he didn't get to finish it, I thought it was great that he still got some training in. Of course, I thought it was both really weird and funny that Grandma Winstrate's Camerupt started erupting like that all because Pikachu used Iron Tail on its face. LOL. XD And I thought it was hilarious how it just kept erupting like that, and then it suddenly started stampeding! LOL. Oh, and I also thought it was cool how Vito came back. But, I thought it was kinda weird how he didn't go over to see his family or anything, especially after the speech his Grandma made. Although, it was really cool when Vito's Alakazam used Rain Dance to stop Camerupt from charging! And yeah, I wanted to see Alakazam dance too. LOL. Oh, and I liked the part when Vito's Swellow used Wing Attack on Team Rocket's ballon. That was awesome! And I really liked the part when Vito told Alakazam to use Psychic to get Pikachu back from Team Rocket. That was so cool! ^____^ And one more thing I liked was that part at the end when Grandma Winstrate told Camerupt to use Eruption. The way Ash and everyone reacted to that was so funny! I really loved the looks on their faces! And overall, I think this was a great episode. It had the two things I like best all in one episode, battles and comedy. And it definitely had a lot of comedy in it!!!! :-D

Rating: 10 out of 10

Last edited:
GrnMarvl13 said:
You don't call a 4x weakness to Ground a disadvantage? Nuzleaf was the best choice cause its STAB moves could actually do 1x damage. It was the only one of the three who had such a distinction.
I didn't think about it before, but you're right. That must have been the reasoning used in the question, and if so it was a whole lot deeper than I expected. Magcargo's Rock type moves would do normal damage, but it's Fire moves wouldn't. In contrast, Nuzleaf would get normal damage from both of its STAB moves, Grass and Dark. I first thought they only chose Nuzleaf because they forgot Camerupt was part Fire. Of course I can't remember what the third choice was and if it didn't apply to what's written above then the whole theory is a wash...

Doctor Oak said:
Roll on Maxxed out. It looks interesting enough to give me something to hope for. I feel Skitty though just sounds abonimable - both from the name and the fact that Skitty features. Contest and Gym ASAP pleasles and end the filler nonsense.
So you consider even capture and character development episodes to be fillers? That seems a rather strict definition, not that I'm saying you think all fillers are bad or anything.

Anyway, I found the episode average to below-average with a good number of funny scenes and clever lines. Oh, and I for one LIKED how Rain Dance looked. It's supposed to be the counterpart of Sunny Day and so a actual dance would have not fit despite the name. Instead we get an attack very similar to the Sunny Day a Sunkern used back in Johto, but with a spinning, dancing mass of energy that does enough to resemble a dance.

Oh, and Swellow's voice was awful. :XD2: Probably another case of "Ash's individuals of a Pokemon get the best voices."

Of course I can't remember what the third choice was and if it didn't apply to what's written above then the whole theory is a wash...

The choices to battle Camerupt were Beedrill, Nuzleaf, and Magcargo.

It's been about two week since I saw Candid Camerupt, but I think it was a good episode; the people I least expected to show up were the Winstrate family. ^_^ I missed the Vivian/Max moments, so that was a bit of a disappointment. The first thought in my head when I saw Vito for the first time was He's copying Spencer Hale's hairstyle in a way, and I guess all that time away from home was good for him. It was good all around, and I'm looking forward to I Feel Skitty this coming Saturday.

~Roxy~

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 20 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom