• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S07 EP09: Maxxed Out! ・ EP10: Pros and Con Artists

Dogasu

ロケット団よ永遠
Reaction score
Japanese Episode AG 48: "Max & Max! Protect Surskit"
American Episode 320: "Maxed Out"

1030.jpg

Kids' WB!, 10:00am ET
There's a Max look-alike out there!? As Max quarrels with this new guy, they gang has to protect a Surskit from Team Rocket!

And then, later in the day...

Japanese Episode AG 49: "Pokemon Contest! Fallarbor Convention"
American Episode 321: "Pros and Con Artists"

1106.jpg

Kids' WB!, 11:30am ET
It's time for the next Pokemon Contest! Can May contend with both Drew and a newcomer with a Medicham?

By the way, One Piece continues on the Fox Box today at 9:30am ET. You must watch it.

Post your thoughts about the episodes here. Please mark any spoilers for episodes not that have yet to air in America in spoiler tags.

Maxxed Out was pretty boring, IMHO. A little too trainer-of-the-day for me. Surskit was cute, though, and Jessie was scarier than usual in this episode. I also discovered that I'm even more partial to Skitty than I thought.

Pros and Con Artists was a fun episode. I liked it. I was happy to see Drew again, seeing as I've become fond of him as a character for no apparent reason (seriously, I should hate him, but I don't), and I liked seeing the interactions between him and Ash. I was hoping Ash would win, though. ._.; Grace was terrifying, but I liked Meditite. The whole Ice Punch/Psychic combo in front of the moon was awesome, but I might just be saying that because it was shiny. *_* James crossdressing and Wobbuffet in a trenchcoat were big pluses to the episode. I never thought I would like a May-centric episode so much.

I found Maxxed Out pretty enjoyable. My brother and I saw the preview commercial for like half a second and I'm like, "Hey, it's Max with a new shirt." My brother said, "No, it was just another trainer." Lo, it is Max! I think I'm warming up to the new theme. I like the "This dream will last forever, this dream will never die" part. The Sanskrit was so cute. Surskirt. Suskit. Surskit! There! X) I'm don't know who I want to ship Max with: Max/Vivi or Max/Maxx. Hmm. The boss fantasy was hilarious, I love how they interjected now and then. "Imagined." XD I missed the episode where Haruka May caught skitty, which saddens me, because I'm such a Delcatty fan.
Rating: 8/10

Shuu bugs me so much, but at the same time I find myself kinda liking him. Stupid ZS. :[[ He makes me want to be a Contestshipper which is a big no-no. It was funny the first time Grace did that thing when May said Brock thought she was beautiful, but after that, it got old and kinda creepy. TR's scam was hilarious with the first customer. Now we know where Jedah and Sonans avatra is from. XD Oh another thing about Shuu, we can see how he is Kurama-ish, which is another symptom of ZS for me. :[( The Medicham in front of the moon was definitely very pretty. The last two minutes thing at the end was so stupid. I hate all their stupid puns. I wish I could remember more quirks and quotes from these episodes but I've watched too much TV since then.
Rating: 9/10

Um... I started watching the Max episode about 20 minutes in. I watched a Team Rocket part, then they started attacking Ash-tachi like usual and I got bored, so I turned it off. I forgot/didn't bother to watch the other one.

Maxxed Out: AAAAH! run away! Double Masato!. This episode was annoying and cheesy beyond all reality. Normally Max's dub voice doesn't annoye me that much, but having to listen to it in stero through the whole episode became grating. The plot was weak, and I don't like Surskit much. Team Rocket and Eneko saved this episode from total boredom. They had the best lines in the episode.

Jessie: Hey it's our favorite twerps
James: And it looks like they grew another one!

lol, I love that line. TR's reactions to Meowth's boss fantasy were hilarious. Sounds like they are getting tired of Meowth's obsession as well. It was also amusing how Skitty messed up Jessie's hair and she went all psycho, but I think they may have drawn the joke out a little too long.

overall: 1 and 1/2 stars

Did you notice that Nurse joy had a new dub voice? It seems Megan Hollingshead dropped off the planet recently. She's gone from the Yugioh dub too; Mai has a new voice.

Pros and Con Artists: -_-. Couldn't they have come up with a better title? Beyond that, this episode rocked. Chaaremu/Medicham had an awesome dub voice. Shuu/Drew is back *throws up his hands* Hooray!. He needs to be in more episodes. He better be in the next contest episodes in Japan. Team Rocket's scheme was hilarious, and I loved how they had Wobuffet, James, and Cacnea "model" the effects of the pokeblock, although the Wobbuffet joke was MUCH funnier in the japanese version, since they had Soonansu lower it's voice signifigantly. Brock was very amusing in this episode. "Is it hot in here or is it just you?" lol. Grace was kind of weird, but she's not too bad. The battle between Drew and Ash was good. Roselia rocks. Is it just me or did they imply that Drew and Ash battled more than once?? Was it like that in the japanese version, I don't knwo what they said in that scene originally. I think the best part of the episode was the character development they gave May. How she went from confidence to realism and anxiety as she realized just how much of a challenge the competition would really be, was really well done. She's quickly become the most interesting character on the show.

overall: 4 stars

Did you notice that Nurse joy had a new dub voice? It seems Megan Hollingshead dropped off the planet recently. She's gone from the Yugioh dub too; Mai has a new voice.

I'd have to watch Sonic X, because it sounds like she's still doing the voice of Scarlett Garcia. I'll have to watch the next ep she's in.

Drew beating Ash in a Pokemon battle is very contrived, and unrealistic. Is this how a Pokemon trainer who's won 23 Pokemon badges, made the top cut in two major Pokemon leagues, succeeded in another, and will likely succeed in the current one, fights a battle? Absurd. =/

Last edited:
I don't agree.

1. True, Ash does have all that expierence, but Tailow is one of his new Hoenn pokemon, so it doesn't have as much training yet as Pikachu and his other bench pokemen. He probably would have won with his more powerful Johto or Indigo pokemon.

2. You shouldn't sell Drew so short. He appears to be a talented pokemon trainer. He's won three contests; it's not like he's a newb or something. And Ash loses to other people too, despite all this expierence he has.

3. Acording to the dub at least, that battle wasn't Drew and Ash's first. After the commercial they showed a little flashback where Ash asked Drew something like "Are you sure you want to do that? The same thing is going to happen again". It seems that Ash beat Drew with Tailow in an offscreen battle and then Drew asked for a rematch and won.

Rocketshipper said:
3. Acording to the dub at least, that battle wasn't Drew and Ash's first. After the commercial they showed a little flashback where Ash asked Drew something like "Are you sure you want to do that? The same thing is going to happen again". It seems that Ash beat Drew with Tailow in an offscreen battle and then Drew asked for a rematch and won.
That's a change. In the original, Shuu asked Satoshi to send out Subame against his Roselia, and Satoshi asked if he was sure, as Shuu would be at a type disadvantage.
My interpretation of the scene was that Shuu had two reasons for what he did. First was to test out a strategy he'd thought of. Second was to give Haruka a much-needed lesson.

I had a feeling it was a change. When I heard that scene I was thinking "what?? I don't remember that" I wonder why 4kids wanted to change it. How could Shuu have been wanting to teach Haruka a lesson though, because she wasn't there in the beginning, she only stumbled onto the battle later.

Well, regardless of the original wording (the flashback was confusing) Ash losing to Drew was perfectly realistic considering he used one of his least experienced Pokemon (at this point in the series his Phanpy has more experience than Taillow) against one of Drew's most experienced.

FireEmblemPrideSP said:
Drew beating Ash in a Pokemon battle is very contrived, and unrealistic. Is this how a Pokemon trainer who's won 23 Pokemon badges, made the top cut in two major Pokemon leagues, succeeded in another, and will likely succeed in the current one, fights a battle? Absurd. =/
Not really, Ash made no mistakes, though I knew some people were going to say this about the battle. Roselia simply proved to be more skilled and powerful than Ash's Taillow. It works in game terms too, you try sending say a level fifty Roselia out against a level twenty Taillow and see who wins (note I am not saying these are the levels in the show).

Btw, did Drew's "lesson to May" make any more sense in the original? Drew remarks that Taillow lost because a trainer needs to be on the same wavelength as their Pokemon, and if the trainer becomes nervous then the Pokemon will also get nervous. But Ash didn't seem nervous at all in the battle, he didn't hesitate and stutter with his commands the way May was shown doing. *is confused* :dead:

I still think Ash's loss was totally out of character.

Hopefully Ash has a rematch and crushes him next time.

They just wanted to contrive a way to make Shuu seem intimdating to the audience. Thus, they have him clobber Ash - an experienced trainer - to make it look like a BIIIG deal with May finally wins her contests.

To me, it looked like the first part of the battle was a 'are you sure you want to do this' moment, which lead me to think they were only *talking* about battling, and that May stumbled on their *real* battle...

And I know it wasn't just me. I know someone else had to have seen Max and Maxx mackin' on each other.

Grace reminds me of that calligraphy master from Ranma 1/2.

Eeee! Return of Drag James, complete with his renewed membership into the High Voice Crew! You know, though, there *are* Gold PokéBlocks. I've made 'em.

Say, Joy's hat is back to being pink! And apparently...so are the Boss' sheets. Then again, his *office* was pink in that one HoSo...I think the artists think he's colorblind or something. First they give him an orange pimp suit, now this.

Okay, I'm way behind on my reviews now....

Oh well.

I guess it couldn't be helped though, cause when "Pros And Con Artists" first aired, I told my mom to tape it for me. But, when I got back from where I was that morning, I only got to see like the first ten minutes of it or something, cause she got the time when it was over wrong.

But, anyway, I've seen it now, so I can finally post my review.

"Maxxed Out" - This was a pretty good episode. And first of all, I liked the part when Skitty let itself out of its Pokeball again. That was funny! And the part when Max found out that other boy was named Max too, was funny too. It was really funny how they started fighting like that. LOL. XD Oh, and I thought Max's Surskit was cool. But, one thing that confused me was that, later in the episode, Max said that he wasn't a trainer yet. So, if he isn't a trainer, is that Surskit just his friend? If yes, then how could he command Surskit by telling it to use Water Pulse that time? Anyway, I laughed pretty much all the way through this episode. And I really liked the part when Skitty messed Jessie's hair up, and then everyone was laughing at her! That was hilarious! And it was also funny how Jessie went crazy and tried to hit Ash and everyone with that big mallet thing, just cause they were all lauging at her. LOL. Oh, and I loved the part after everyone got sent into the air, and then Ash climbed up that cliff, and said that one line, "I don't think I'll ever understand those three as long as I live". That was really funny! And one of my other favorite parts in the episode was when Max said that the reason he was mean to Max at first was because he was jealous of him, and then Max told him that he was jealous of him too, cause he had Surskit. Then, one of them (I don't remember which one) said that one line about them being a couple of jealous Maxxes. That was so funny! And overall, this was a really good episode, and it was funny all the way through.

Rating: 9 out of 10

"Pros And Con Artists" - This was a pretty good episode too. And I loved the part when one of Medicham's psychic attacks went crazy and lifted all that stuff into the air. That was cool! And it was funny too! I loved how it lifted both Pikachu and Ash's hat! That was really funny! LOL. And I liked the part when Ash noticed that Drew was there, and then he came up to Ash and asked him if he was gonna be in the contest and stuff. That was funny! And I thought it was cool that Drew wanted to have a battle with Ash! Although, I agree with Pacific Pikachu, cause I wanted Ash to win too. And I thought it was really sad that he lost, especially since he had a type advantage with Taillow. I felt sorry for him. But, I thought it was really cool how Grace taught May how you could use combinations in Pokemon contests. Oh, and of course, it was really funny how Team Rocket got all those trainers to buy their fake gold and silver pokeblocks just by having their Pokemon model the effects of them. LOL. XD And overall, this was a great episode, and it had a lot of character development in it for May too.

Rating: 9 out of 10

Last edited:
I would have reviewed, but I'm not much of an eppisode reviewer.Disscusion talk,anyway,hehe. ^_^

Please note: The thread is from 19 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom