• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Ice types can be frozen in gen I?

SubsmokeX

Reaction score
On the status ailments page it says ice types can only be frozen in gen I. I was talking to some guys who say they can't be frozen and I tried it out in yellow and couldn't do it. Are you guys sure on this?

Given a 10% chance of freezing you'd probably need to try it like 50 or 75 times to be sure it can't happen.

I think I've seen it happen, but honestly it's been a while since I played gen I.

I just checked it with the Articuno in Seafoam Islands in Red. I was using ice beam on it, and I used it well over a 100 times. While I was frozen a considerable amount of times, I didn't manage to freeze Articuno. (Was using a Gyarados btw)
So it seems that you can't freeze Ice types even in Gen I.

Admittedly it's been a while since i played a Gen 1 game aswell but i'm pretty certain (like 90-95%) that i managed to freeze Articuno in Seafoam Islands. I remember it being a fairly simple catch after that.

I'm going off memory, but I think in Gen 1 the pokemon do not auto-thaw after a set number of turns. I can't remember if you could use a full heal to restore or not.

i think i've frozen an articuno in Gen I before too, but i think its so stupid!! ice pokemon are ice, so therefore they shouldn't be able to be frozen!

i think you can get frozen in gen I cuz i think i fought articuno once and it froze me

Everyone is like "Oh yes, I remember this that and that". Are you people ignoring my post completely? I said I tested this on the Red version, and while I was frozen a ton of times, I couldn't freeze Articuno even once with Ice Beam. So unless it's 1% freeze on ice types instead of 10%, IT IS NOT POSSIBLE TO FREEZE ICE TYPES IN GEN I.

You'd think people actually read the posts above theirs. >_>

Everyone is like "Oh yes, I remember this that and that". Are you people ignoring my post completely? I said I tested this on the Red version, and while I was frozen a ton of times, I couldn't freeze Articuno even once with Ice Beam. So unless it's 1% freeze on ice types instead of 10%, IT IS NOT POSSIBLE TO FREEZE ICE TYPES IN GEN I.

You'd think people actually read the posts above theirs. >_>

Just because you coudn't do it, doesn't mean it can't be done, unless its proven by others that it can't be done. If we had a way to test this for sure, then we'd know for sure as some did say they froze articuno before

I read this: http://www.wikihow.com/Catch-Articuno-With-a-Plain-Pokeball

Meet Articuno. First you need to use the attack to freeze articuno. Then use false swipes until articuno's hp is down to 1. If he/she unfreezes, freeze him/her again.

I wonder if just articuno can get frozen in Gen 1 as it ignores the frozen types can't be frozen and just focuses on its flying type as a reason for it getting frozen?

Shinx, my point was that everyone says they only recall it from their memory, while I tested it in game, and even another time when I posted my last post. To me, getting frozen multiple times as a Water/Flying type while not being able to freeze the Ice/Flying opponent with Ice Beam even a single time is pretty much solid proof.

http://www.smogon.com/rb/articles/differences

^States that a frozen Pokémon cannot unfreeze by itself. Seems to cover most things though Ice types being frozen isn't mentioned, so I'm guessing they can't be otherwise they would have included it. (Smogon are good with mechanics.)

Ice-type Pokémon cannot be frozen by Ice-type moves; however, they can be frozen by Tri Attack.
from bulbapedia

Check the history. I changed to show that. It used to say except for Gen I, but in the light of Decibel's experiment I removed it. If anyone can find any evidence otherwise then change it back, but that is why we are discussing it here.

I've changed the page. Our page on Tri Attack also said it has no side effects in Generation I.

You guys know that when it is clearly right, such as with the secondary effects of Tri Attack you can just go and edit the page, right? It's a wiki, and the page isn't protected. This thread was created to discuss whether the info on the page was right or not, as we initially weren't sure.

For clarification: When I said I removed "except for Generation I", it initially said
Ice-type Pokémon cannot be frozen by Ice-type moves except in Generation I; however, they can be frozen by Tri Attack

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom