• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S07 EP31: A Six Pack Attack!

Dogasu

ロケット団よ永遠
Reaction score
Japanese Episode AG 71: "Professor Oak and Professor Birch! Secret Base Battle!"
American Episode 343: "A Six Pack Attack"

Kids' WB!, 10:00am ET
Encore airing on Kids' WB! Friday at 4:00pm ET

Professor Oak makes his non-telephone Hoenn debut, we see the first signs of FireRed/LeafGreen making its way into the show, and Team Rocket gets drunk off water.

This episode is special to me because this is the first episode I saw when I went over to Japan last year. Time sure does fly, huh?

Post your thoughts about the episodes here. Please mark any spoilers for episodes not that have yet to air in America in spoiler tags.

I was half-asleep, so I could barely tell what was going on.

(Will watch it again later, thanks gods for TiVo)

It was ok. It was fun to see Prof. Birch's crazy driving again (poor Pikachu! Did anyone see it crying?), and interesting to see TR drunk (on water? White wine?), but it was also not very special. I'd give it a 7.5/10. (Because I realized that 6.7 would be a high D.)

It got me wondering: would that fire→water→tackle thing really work? I keep thinking not.

Last edited:
Giovanni had a Kaiba-style trenchcoat. I'm not sure which is funnier--that in English they're made by the same company, or that in Japan they're not.

Meowth's daydreams are starting to sound more and more like weird-ass fanfiction.

Episodes after a Gym Battle are almost always filler episodes, so I wasn't too surprised that this one was too. We do get to see some nice foreshadowing to
Haruka's capture of a Fushigidgane
, though, so I guess the episode wasn't a TOTAL waste.

I'm surprised the dub didn't censor the drinking scene any more than they did. All they did was change the shape of the trio's wine glasses; they didn't paint away the flush on everyone's faces or get rid of any of the squiggly lines like I thought they would have.

I don't know what's creepier: the fact that Masato carries pictures of Orchid-Hakase around with him, or the fact that someone was able to get Orchid-Hakase to even pose for those pictures in the first place.

They changed the shape of the glasses? They changed them *TO* martini glasses? OK, that's just nuts.

And come on, we all know Oak is the pimpmaster of all Kanto. Now he's goin' worldwide, yo!

And geez, I'd *just* made an "everyone loves Professor Oak" icon. Now I'm gonna need to put Max in.

Those pictures made me laugh for ten minutes. XD And that must have been some water. Yeah, surprising they didn't edit that scene. Hmm... where was Ash's mom? It seemed like she should show up at some point in the episode since we all know that she's ALWAYS around Prof. Oak. ^_^

Maybe Mimie tried to cook a pot roast and accidently set the house on fire and she had to fill out a mountain of insurance forms.

But yeah, it *is* strange that she wasn't even so much as mentioned.

Kthleen said:
It was ok. It was fun to see Prof. Birch's crazy driving again (poor Pikachu! Did anyone see it crying?), and interesting to see TR drunk (on water? White wine?), but it was also not very special. I'd give it a 6.7/10.

It got me wondering: would that fire→water→tackle thing really work? I keep thinking not.
Some materials becoming brittle after rapid heating+cooling seems pretty sound to me. It's been a recurring theme in Pokemon too.

Dogasu said:
Episodes after a Gym Battle are almost always filler episodes, so I wasn't too surprised that this one was too. We do get to see some nice foreshadowing to
Haruka's capture of a Fushigidgane
, though, so I guess the episode wasn't a TOTAL waste.
I knew someone would say this.... I don't think that it forshadowed it. Think about it. They had a whole episode dedicated to Swablu and a couple of scenes in this episode with her being friendly to Bulbasaur; yet if we didn't know that
she would catch a Bulbasaur,
we wouldn't think twice about those scenes. If you think there's a pattern of
"little friendly scenes with specific Pokémon=eventual catch",
there's an even greater occurrence of
"no interaction with specific Pokémon before an episode centering on interacting with the Pokémon=eventual catch" or "near-random capture=...near-random capture"
and that this thing has happened only twice before, if I remember correctly (Cacnea and Beautifly; and three if you count Totodile (they were trying to rescue the starter one; that's friendly), maybe even four if you count Poochyena (yeah, reeeaal friendly[/i]). That's what I think, but maybe I'm just being silly.

Pokemon Fan said:
Some materials becoming brittle after rapid heating+cooling seems pretty sound to me. It's been a recurring theme in Pokemon too.
I know that, but what exactly does TR use, and does this happen with all commonly used metals to the extent that a Tackle or Razor Leaf could break through easily? Either they get more brittle than I think, Pokémon are stronger than I think or both. Eh.

Last edited:
Here's my review for this episode:

This was a pretty good episode! And I loved how it came on, with Ash wanting to leave for the next town (Fortree City), and then May said that she wanted to see Professor Birch first. That was really funny! LOL. XD And I didn't really like the fact that Ash and Brock went with Professor Birch to the port, cause they missed Professor Oak there. I don't know why, but I really wanted Ash to see Professor Oak for a while so he could show him all the badges he won and everything. And I guess, since Team Rocket interfered with that by stealing the starter Pokemon, it kinda made me like this episode a little less than I normally would have (that and, Ash didn't seem to have too much of a part in this episode). Although, I really liked how Max actually got to meet Professor Oak and get his autograph. That was cool! And it was great to see Bulbasaur, Squirtle, and Charmander again! I also liked how, in some parts of the episode, Max got to command some of the Pokemon to use their attacks. That was really cool! And I think Team Rocket was really funny in this episode too! Oh, and I really liked the part when May, Professor Oak, and Max were trying to get out of the cave, and Max yelled through that little hole to call for help, and then Ash yelled back asking if that was Max. I thought that was really cool! And I also liked how they used all the starter Pokemon's attacks to break down the door. That was awesome! And I loved how they used their Pokemon, and the starters, to help blast Team Rocket off too! That was really cool! And I liked the part after they blasted Team Rocket off, when Professor Oak said that little poem, and Max said something like, "If I could think of stuff like that, I'd write a book, and sign a copy for you". That was really funny!! LOL. XD And overall, this was a pretty good episode, it was great to see both Professor Oak and Professor Birch again, and I loved seeing all the starter Pokemon again.

Rating: 9 out of 10

Wow. What an improvement. This ep actually had a feel to it of the old, first season eps.... TR was actually evil, Ashtachi actually did something, and Oak was there (Am I the only one who thinks that the shippers out there are going nuts over Max's hero worship?)
Also, did anyone else think that Gio looked a lot like Vash the Stampede at the beginning of Meowth's boss fantasy?

This episode was awesome! It was great to see Charmander, Squirtle, Bulbasaur, and Professor Oak all in the same episode. One thing I found quite strange was that Team Rocket appeared to get drunk off of water, but that only added to the humor. Another interesting aspect was letting Ash play a supporting role this time and letting May and Max show what they're made of in a crisis. Max definitely has the potential to become a great trainer one day...

Roxy's Rating: 10/10

~Roxy~

nekusagi-chan said:
Wow. What an improvement. This ep actually had a feel to it of the old, first season eps.... TR was actually evil, Ashtachi actually did something, and Oak was there (Am I the only one who thinks that the shippers out there are going nuts over Max's hero worship?)
Also, did anyone else think that Gio looked a lot like Vash the Stampede at the beginning of Meowth's boss fantasy?

He reminded me more of Seto Kaiba. Great filler episode, and everyone already said what I was going to say.

They both wear the same type of trenchcoat. But I like Trigun more than YGO, so I suppose that's why I saw that.

That trenchcoat kicked ass. Of course, I loved it when Kaiba wore it too, so yeah.

The ep was good, the thing is, it felt a little Johto-ish. Everything seemed so contrived. Still, it was a funny ep, so I liked it.

Here's my review for this episode:

This was a pretty good episode! And I loved how it came on, with Ash wanting to leave for the next town (Fortree City), and then May said that she wanted to see Professor Birch first. That was really funny! LOL.

True but i dont like this part. If Ash has matured over the series he forgets less in the advanced series and diamond pearl series

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom