• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S07 EP33: Grass Hysteria!

Dogasu

ロケット団よ永遠
Reaction score
Japanese Episode AG 73: "King of the Forbidden Forest! Venusaur!"
American Episode 345: "Grass Hysteria"

Kids' WB!, 10:00am ET
Encore airing on Kids' WB! Friday at 3:30pm ET

Lots of Kanto grass pokemon in this one. Yay.

Post your thoughts about the episodes here. Please mark any spoilers for episodes not that have yet to air in America in spoiler tags.

It's Charmander!1

Wow, I haven't seen Pokémon in *quite* a while.

The opening of this epi was so dramatic. XD The hooded men were, too, until we got to see more of them. It almost looked like an intentional joke, with their brightly-coloured shorts and stuff. XD Also, the Pochena sounded like they were high. XP

Aww, the Bulbasaur was so cute! It was especially so at the times when May was holding it. It just had me so happy to see it! o^^o The little hearts on its forehead were perfect. I was so glad that she got to keep it! For a minute there, I was worried that they would just leave and it would be another filler episode. The Bulbasaur looked so sad...and the drama was so perfect when the door was closing on May like that. I liked it a lot.

It was funny was Jessie called Venasaur fat, just because it is so true. XD The Mean Old Lady mecha was pretty good, and the puns about it were tolerable. Jamesy. XDXD

This episode could become annoying with its Advanceshippy-ness, but I don't really care. Who's up for May/Bulbasaur? XD It would've been nice if Brock and Max played more of a roll in this episode, it could've been funnier that way.

Rating: 9/10

This episode was a refreshing turn from the usual filler episodes. It was great getting to see so many Kanto Pokemon in one place, but I think it was a relief to finally see May get her Bulbasaur. I liked James's comment about the rage of grass Pokemon being no worse than Jessie on a bad hair day. The old woman mecha was cool and creative on Team Rocket's part and I was mildly amused by the puns that ensued.

Roxy's Rating: 10/10

~Roxy~

Man I hadn’t seen Pokemon for a while. Anyways, this is a pretty good episode. I really liked the beginning where they get lost in the woods and meet hooded people. The Bulbasaur was really cute. I thought the end was kind of sad to.

Rating – 10/10

When I first started watching the episode, I was baffled because it felt so familiar. In fact, for a second, I thought it was a rerun.

About fifteen seconds later I slapped my forehead because, of course, I then remembered I had seen the episode in Japanese. ^^;;

Anyway, it was good in English, too. Mostly because May's Bulbasaur is so darn CUTE. It had a cuter voice in Japanese (of course, Bulbasaur in general has a cuter voice in Japanese), but I'm glad they made its English voice more high-pitched than normal, too. It's fairly obvious that her little Bulbasaur is female. :)

Definitely a cute little episode, if a little typical.

Did they call their "boss" Obi (the hooded guys)? Can you say "Obi-Wan" since Episode 3 is coming out next month?

Pacific Pikachu said:
When I first started watching the episode, I was baffled because it felt so familiar. In fact, for a second, I thought it was a rerun.

About fifteen seconds later I slapped my forehead because, of course, I then remembered I had seen the episode in Japanese. ^^;;
th_GaiaXD.gif

TK n Happy Ness said:
Did they call their "boss" Obi (the hooded guys)? Can you say "Obi-Wan" since Episode 3 is coming out next month?
Possibly, but the closed captioning said "Obee". Then again, it also said that the singer wants to take "the ultimate snack" and that Jessie told Arbok to use "Voice of Steel" attack.... I wouldn't doubt that it may be a play on Obi, though.

8.3/10
It was definitely a fun episode. Bulbasaur is really cute, and it was interesting to see Pokémon pissed of at humans again. I did wonder why Skarmory didn't try to eat May, though ("Hey! Yellow! I think I'll carry that off to start my new stash of yellow stuff!" or something?). Max's line, "If they don't hurry, May's gonna get hit by (some of?) that Pokémon wrath stuff!" was funny bacause it sounds wrong (as if wrath were a concrete object). Ash-tachi's running off to try to get through the wall was cool in that hidden-rebel-in-me sort of way. When Bulbasaur (did something friendly, I forgot: bad memory...) and Ash said, "That's so nice.... Reminds me of mine," I thought that was somewhat strange. Wasn't his Bulbasaur a jerk when he met it? And maybe I'm weird, but I didn't really feel the Advanceshippiness. Maybe it's denial....

Last edited:
Kthleen said:
When Bulbasaur (did something friendly, I forgot: bad memory...) and Ash said, "That's so nice.... Reminds me of mine," I thought that was somewhat strange. Wasn't his Bulbasaur a jerk when he met it?

Ash's Bulbasaur was nice when it suited him.

And maybe I'm weird, but I didn't really feel the Advanceshippiness. Maybe it's denial....
I didn't see it either. Then again, I tend to ignore all but the most blatant hints. :p

Kthleen said:
And maybe I'm weird, but I didn't really feel the Advanceshippiness. Maybe it's denial....

I didn't see any Advanceshippiness either. Of course, I'm a biased Pokéshipper, but I'm not so biased that I wouldn't recognize hints if I saw them. I saw friendship-type stuff, and nothing beyond that. I know that if one of my friends got carried off by a Skarmory I'd try to save them, too. Protecting a friend doesn't constitute love.

"James! Stop this crazy thing!"

+10 points!

Ahah, that was a decent little episode. The opening felt a little rushed, going from "hay look, we're lost" to "ooh look a skarmory - zomg run!" to "hey, give may back! >V" as fast as it did. And it felt a little contrived in how it all happened, so I was a bit worried the episode would just be standard-fare. Which it was, of course, but it was still enjoyable. ^^; ... though, I was a bit saddened that all the grass Pokemon were Kanto/Johto species. I wanted a Tropius!! *sulks*

In terms of awesomeness, that Mean Old Lady mecha juuust managed to beat out the Mudkip Maiden from all those episodes ago. Oh, yes.

May's Bulbasaur is adorable. <3 At first, I thought the little hearts on her forehead were a little... mm, unecessary? Trite? Corny? One of those. But as the episode went on, they seemed to suit her. ^^; Offering May the flower the way she did was especially cute..! +_+ It's nice that it went with May after they became friends - made for a happier ending than the episode where May bonded with that Altaria~

... something about the way Venusaur picked Torchic up with his vines, shook his head, and said his name in an almost scolding tone made me laugh. :E And Torchic's expression seemed to be blanker than usual during that scene...

I liked the episode, but to me it seemed like a Hoenn version of the old Kanto episode "Bulbasaur's Mysterious Garden". I guess mostly it was the plot device of having a mysterious location where only Pokémon are allowed that made me connect the two episodes. And is my memory failing or did Team Rocket in the "Garden" episode also use a giant mecha vacuum cleaner to catch the Pokémon?

Great episode, but was the Japanese version any clearer on why the Skarmory went and grabbed May for no apparent reason (aside from trying to eat Skitty) and then a long time afterward went and let her go for no apparent reason?

I think the history tale in this episode was a neat divergence, shows once again that not all Pokemon/human interactions have been largely peaceful. Here we have a whole region that has to be walled up because of the anger the Grass types have towards humans in general because of the hunters who came to capture them on mass over the years. At least they have a wise leader who knows not all humans are bad. That Venusaur was great and I liked the scene of Ash pushing against it to help it back to its feet, the way it was animated made the huge Venusaur seem so much more real, like it really was huge and bulky and had soft, bumpy skin like a toad. :)

Last edited:
Kthleen said:
I agree with Kristin that what I saw were actions sparked by friendship. However, it was stuff that Advanceshippers like to turn into "evidence," and hence why it could be annoying.

Oh, all that happened? I didn't notice; I got hung up on the one guy in the hood guarding the wall, the one with the Hair. Too busy listening out for if he had a name.

...Kidding. Only about the first part. I noticed everything there was to notice. Including the guy. Especially the guy. ...*ahem*

Skarmory = randomly-generated plot device I'm sure the animators were excited about, until they realized...there was no logic behind it. No munching on May, no ripping of her bag off her person due to weight, just swoop, grab, deposit, and forget forever.

Otherwise, Bulbasaur stole the spotlight. Which is good. :3 And personally, while I didn't see/hear any Advanceshipping hints....I'm pretty sure the experience just made them closer. In the friendship-excuse-for-potential-interest way. Mostly friendship, open for prodding.

That's all I can say.

So I guess I wasn't the only one who noticed the guy... ^^;; I wasn't too caught up on him, but I definitely noticed him.

We should start a "That random guy who had no name!" club. XD

heh, it was an interesting episode. it was nice to see all the old school pokemon again :)

for a second, when Ash said his bulbasaur was back with prof oak, I thought he gave it back to that one girl...well actually my sister brought that up. so I was busily thinking of that the whole rest of the episode. hah. but then I remembered that he left it with oak to protect grass pokemon. or something.

sooo... 7/10 I give this one

Please note: The thread is from 19 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom