• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S07 EP39: Pearls are a Spoink's Best Friend

Dogasu

ロケット団よ永遠
Reaction score
Japanese Episode AG 79: "Spoink's Lost Object!?"
American Episode 351: "Pearls are a Spoink's Best Friend"

0603.jpg

Kids' WB!, 10:00am ET
No known encore airing this week

Ash and the gang come across a Spoink who's lost the pearl on its head. Our heroes offer to help the little pig pokemon find it, and in the process they come across a festival where an old character from the past makes his first Hoenn appearance.

Post your thoughts about the episodes here. Please mark any spoilers for episodes not that have yet to air in America in spoiler tags.

Well, the episode hasn't come on yet, but according to a commercial I saw Spoink has new dubbed voice, a very light "Spoink".

I hope
"Magikarp Man"
keeps his old voice from the Elekid Episode.

A scene of Kojirou checking a Banebuu TCG card was cut.

Does anyone know what the law says that prevents TV shows from showcasing a real product on-air?

That thing at the end Mike said was false. The "now that the pearl is safely on Spoink's head" line. You'd think so, but then we see the same pile of crap 14 eps from now with the same problem.

Dogasu said:
A scene of Kojirou checking a Banebuu TCG card was cut.

Does anyone know what the law says that prevents TV shows from showcasing a real product on-air?

If that´s true..then what´s with bayblade? the whole show shows the real product. I expected the card scene to be cut out but I don´t see why it was necessary. ( They changes the YuGiOh-cards design for the dub aswell..strange country)

The Feebas/Magikarp stuff was really funny, and I liked the rockets in this episode. Ash-tachi and Spoink were pretty boring this time, though.

TeddiUrsa said:
If that´s true..then what´s with bayblade? the whole show shows the real product. I expected the card scene to be cut out but I don´t see why it was necessary. ( They changes the YuGiOh-cards design for the dub aswell..strange country)

I don't really know how the law works, which is why I asked if anyone knew any more details about it than I do.

Well, generally, you can't show a brand or trademark on TV without paying for the lisence to do so. On the BBC, they can't name products etc either because they're non-commercial but that's completely different.

Why they'd cut out a scene because of that when they're already using those trademark and brand for the show is beyond me. Maybe it's because of Wizards of the Coast and their bitchyness over what was once their top-selling non-magic TCG before Nintendo kicked their asses doing it themselves.

The captions seemed to be delayed by about two seconds. It's a bit frustrating, but at least it's not as bad as "A Way Off Day Off", where they were delayed by about five to seven seconds. They also seemed to have a different captioning team entirely, as there were traits that don't usually show up (the way things were described, etc.)

......um...were my ears decieving me or did Giovanni have a different voice? It was hard to tell since he didn't enunciate like he usually does (but the lines he had wouldn't have been enunciated much anyway). Maybe it was just my sleep-addled brain, but he sounded a bit like Oak. Which is SCARY.

EDIT--No, that was Ted Lewis still. I think it sounded differently because, as I said, he didn't have a chance to enunciate like he usually does. And because we haven't really heard him shout since MR.

There's no way B&C are an "A team". He has to be baiting them.

...James chides Jesse because the pearl "doesn't belong to us". Since when has that ever stopped them? James picked a wierd time to develop an honest streak.

Hey--they avoided making any 'bling' references during the Boss Fantasy!

The fortune teller sounded like Jesse. I thought she was Jesse in disguise.

Magikarp Man seems to have a different voice entirely. It's more hissy than it was before.

Am I the only one who thinks that Milotic is butt-ugly?

If he claims to be a 'single dad', why does one of the 'kids' shown appear to be the mother?

Spoink's pearl seems to change size at different points.

So...how did he train the Magikarp to say "Feebas"?

Couldn't Ash just use his dex on the fake Feebas to reveal what it really was?

Now excuse me, I have to go santize my eyes after seeing what appeared to be Marilyn Manson as the Riddler.

Last edited:
Blackjack Gabbiani said:
......um...were my ears decieving me or did Giovanni have a different voice? It was hard to tell since he didn't enunciate like he usually does (but the lines he had wouldn't have been enunciated much anyway). Maybe it was just my sleep-addled brain, but he sounded a bit like Oak. Which is SCARY.

I thought he sounded a bit different too, but I chalked that up to the fact that whenever we've seen Giovanni speaking on-screen for the last two years or so, we hear Meowth's voice coming out of him.

Same here.

Magikarp Man seems to have a different voice entirely. It's more hissy than it was before.

*shrugs* Sounded the same to me.

If he claims to be a 'single dad', why does one of the 'kids' shown appear to be the mother?

I thought the same thing too, so I checked the Japanese version before posting the comparison for this episode. And I did hear him say that he has six children, and there are six people in the image we see, so I imagine that the mother-looking person is actually his oldest child or something.

Now excuse me, I have to go santize my eyes after seeing what appeared to be Marilyn Manson as the Riddler.

Can I put that in my sig? :-D

That even threw my mom off.

I know Jessie really wanted that Feebas, but why didn't Meowth or James notice that there was tape holding the "whiskers" down. Is it common for spoinks to lose their peral? They way they befriended that Pokémon I thought one of them was going to capture it.

Here's my review of this episode:

I really liked this episode! And I thought it was interesting how Spoink didn't have its pearl when it first appeared to Ash and everyone. I mean, I was expecting it to appear with its pearl and then lose it later somehow. Anyway, I thought that was cool. And I liked how most of this episode was spent with everyone looking for the pearl. I loved how every time Spoink would find something that was round, but wasn't its pearl, it would lift it up to its head psychically. That was funny! And I liked the part when Spoink lifted that Electrode to its head, and then it exploded on everyone. That was hilarious! And I also liked the part when Team Rocket traded Spoink's pearl for what they thought was a Feebas, and then it tuned out to be a Magikarp. That was really funny! And later, when Ash and everyone found out about what Team Rocket did with the pearl, it was funny how they made the Magikarp Salesman look bad in front of everyone by exposing his secret like that. LOL. XD Oh, and I also liked how he managed to get away during the battle that Ash and everyone was having against Team Rocket. That was funny! And I liked the part when Spoink finally got its pearl back, and then it blasted Team Rocket off. That was cool! And overall, I really liked this episode, and it was hilarious all the way through.

Rating: 10 out of 10

Blackjack Gabbiani said:
Yeah, I thought she was Jessie too, Blackjack Gabbiani.

And I guess that lady must've fooled a lot of people....

LOL.

XD

Last edited:
I also thought it was Jessie.. perhaps 4Kids ought to be expanding its repretoire of VA's...

Please note: The thread is from 19 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom