• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

A bunch of questions

evkl

Person-about-Bulba
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I've just beaten the E4 and have yet to receive the National Dex or any of that, but I have a bunch of questions.

1: Are any of the Lake Trio worth actually capturing? If yes, which?
2: What's the metagame for battling? What should I look for in a team of six?
3: I tried for this on Bulbapedia, but no dice--are there any routes which have Pokemon yielding one type of EV only? (i.e., SpeA routes, or HP routes, etc)
4: How's the trading market for difficult-to-find Pokemon? If, say, I wanted a Squirtle, how hard is one to obtain? Do you have to make great sacrifices for rare Pokemon (shinies, etc)?

Thanks!

1. I am not sure which is best but a lot of people use them on their team... and they are not very hard to capture.
2. Dunno
3. The Old Chateau in Eterna FOrest has only Ghastly, Haunter, and Genger which are all special attack. And fishing with an old rod will always give you Magikard which is speed.
4. I could get you a squirtle cheap. The starters aren't very expensive but shinies are especcially pricy. If you want a shiny I say your best bet is to catch it yourself.

• Staff
I really have no interest in shinys--I'm a fan of susbstance over style. I meant giving up shinies for other good Pogeys. But thanks for the other tips!

Last edited:
-Depends if you want to trade them
-A few of them also make good spicial sweepers

-Spicial sweeper
-Phisical sweeper
-Spiecial Wall
-Phisical wall
(others may include, Tank, Mixed Sweeper, Mixed Wall, Anoyer, Hazer, Batton Basser)

3: I tried for this on Bulbapedia, but no dice--are there any routes which have Pokemon yielding one type of EV only? (i.e., SpeA routes, or HP routes, etc)
This is all you will ever need for that: http://www.gamefaqs.com/portable/ds/file/925601/48969

4: How's the trading market for difficult-to-find Pokemon? If, say, I wanted a Squirtle, how hard is one to obtain? Do you have to make great sacrifices for rare Pokemon (shinies, etc)?
No, squirtle is breedable. I managed to get them off people on the forums for free

If you need me to go into any more detail on anything I will.

Last edited:
  • Staff
Squirtle can most definitely breed...

Edit: Ha. Gotcha. Yeah, that makes more sense now. I meant rare in the sense of not in-game to the best of my knowledge.

Last edited:
Azelf is the favorite for metagame because of it's already high Special Attack, and it's ability to learn Nasty Plot.

The battling metagame is pretty offensive, hard-hitters like Infernape, Weavile, Garchomp, Tyranitar, Salamence Azelf, are things you will likely see often. You will also see the defensive staples Skarm/Bliss, Dusknoir, Cressellia and on rare occasions Tangrowth.

Also expect to encounter Stealth Rock and or Spikes (and less often Toxic Spikes) in 90% of battles.
Sandstorm teams are also fairly common.

I am still experimenting with my online battling team, but I have seen that it never hurts to have a sandstorm immune Pokémon, a hard hitting Physical Sweeper, and a Special Sweeper. Rapid Spinners are also recommended, though I have found good use for Roar/Whirlwind users (A.K.A Phazers)

For all the flack is it gets, the GTS is a good resource for getting reasonable trades.
Trading for legends and extremely rare Pokémon is playing a game of chance, but the market for reasonable trades is pretty good. Ususally you can trade version exclusives, starters, and pretty much anything that is moderately rare. It's pretty much the same in the direct trading market too. The only things that really require larger sacrifice are the rarer legends, and event Pokémon like from the Journey Across America. There are people that will trade items, TMs and Rare Berries for Pokémon.

Definitely. Azelf is a beast in the metagame, learning Nasty Plot to boost its monstrous Sp. Atk, and Explosion, which allows it to ASPLODE in any Blissey who tries to wall you. Mesprit, while not OU, can function well as a Calm Mind BoltBeamer. Uxie, while outdone by Cress, can wall pretty well.

- Coverage
- No common weaknesses
- Single goal, and each member contributes to it
- Be able to take down any threat

Here's some of the hotspots:

Attack: Route 212 Bottom (Bibarel & Krickitune)
Defense: Ruin Maniac's Cave (Geodude & Hippopotas)
Sp. Attack: Resort Area Pool (Golduck)
Sp. Defense: Route 223 (Tentacool & Tentacruel)
Speed: Ravaged Path (Zubat)

Some people can Pokesav Pokemon for you for free. If you don't encourage AR'ed Pokemon, many people will trade Pokemon for shinies, Pokemon with egg moves, rare hold items, and Pokemon from previous games.

Yes, for two reasons. One, you actually need to see them to get the National dex so you might aswell, and two, Azelf is one of the best sweepers in the game, and mesprit is a good wall/garchomp counter.

Most teams are OU.

Here's a list of pokemon tiers:
Uber

- Arceus
- Darkrai
- Dialga
- Deoxys (All Forms)
- Giratina
- Groudon
- Ho-oh
- Kyogre
- Latios
- Latias
- Lugia
- Manaphy
- Mew
- Mewtwo
- Palkia
- Rayquaza
- Wobbuffet
- Wynaut

Overused

- Aerodactyl
- Alakazam
- Azelf
- Blissey
- Breloom
- Bronzong
- Celebi
- Cresselia
- Donphan
- Dragonite
- Dusknoir
- Electivire
- Forretress
- Garchomp
- Gengar
- Gliscor
- Gyarados
- Heatran
- Heracross
- Hippowdon
- Infernape
- Jirachi
- Lucario
- Machamp
- Magnezone
- Mamoswine
- Medicham
- Metagross
- Milotic
- PorygonZ
- Raikou
- Rhyperior
- Roserade
- Salamence
- Sceptile
- Skarmory
- Slaking
- Slowbro
- Snorlax
- Spiritomb
- Starmie
- Suicune
- Swampert
- Tangrowth
- Togekiss
- Tyranitar
- Vaporeon
- Weavile
- Weezing
- Yanmega
- Zapdos

Borderline

- Abomasnow
- Absol
- Ambipom
- Arcanine
- Armaldo
- Articuno
- Azumarill
- Blaziken
- Camerupt
- Chansey
- Charizard
- Claydol
- Clefable
- Cradily
- Crobat
- Drapion
- Dugtrio
- Empoleon
- Entei
- Espeon
- Exeggutor
- Floatzel
- Flygon
- Froslass
- Gallade
- Gardevoir
- Hariyama
- Haunter
- Honchcrow
- Houndoom
- Jolteon
- Jynx
- Kadabra
- Kingdra
- Lapras
- Leafeon
- Lickilicky
- Linoone
- Ludicolo
- Kangaskhan
- Magmortar
- Marowak
- Mesprit
- Miltank
- Mismagius
- Moltres
- Ninjask
- Pikachu
- Porygon2
- Raichu
- Ramparados
- Relicanth
- Regigias
- Regirock
- Registeel
- Rhydon
- Scizor
- Shaymin
- Shedinja
- Smeargle
- Staraptor
- Steelix
- Swellow
- Tauros
- Tentacruel
- Torterra
- Toxicroak
- Typhlosion
- Umbreon
- Ursaring
- Uxie
- Venusaur
- Zangoose

Underused

- Aggron
- Altaria
- Ampharos
- Banette
- Bellosom
- Bibarel
- Blastoise
- Cacturne
- Carnivine
- Chatot
- Clampearl
- Cloyster
- Crawdaunt
- Dodrio
- Driftlim
- Dunsparce
- Electrode
- Exploud
- Fearow
- Flareon
- Furret
- Gastrodon
- Glaceon
- Glalie
- Gligar
- Golduck
- Golem
- Gorebyss
- Granbull
- Grumpig
- Hitmonchan
- Hitmonlee
- Hitmontop
- Huntail
- Hypno
- Jumpluff
- Lanturn
- Lopunny
- Lunatone
- Luxray
- Kabutops
- Kingler
- Manectric
- Mantine
- Masquerian
- Meganium
- Minun
- Mr. Mime
- Muk
- Nidoking
- Nidoqueen
- Ninetales
- Octillery
- Omastar
- Persian
- Phione
- Plusle
- Politoed
- Poliwrath
- Primeape
- Probopass
- Purugly
- Quagsire
- Qwilfish
- Rapidash
- Rotom
- Sableye
- Scyther
- Seviper
- Sharpedo
- Shiftry
- Shuckle
- Skuntank
- Solrock
- Slowking
- Sudowoodo
- Stantler
- Torkoal
- Venomoth
- Vespiqueen
- Victreebell
- Vigoroth
- Vileplume
- Wailord
- Walrein
- Xatu
- All other NFE's unless otherwise stated

Neverused

- Arbok
- Ariados
- Bastiodon
- Beedrill
- Beautifly
- Butterfree
- Castform
- Cherrim
- Chimeco
- Combee
- Corsola
- Delcatty
- Delibird
- Dewgong
- Ditto
- Dustox
- Farfetch'd
- Girafarig
- Illumise
- Kecleon
- Kricketune
- Ledian
- Lumineon
- Luvdisc
- Magcargo
- Mawile
- Mightyena
- Mothim
- Noctowl
- Parasect
- Pachirisu
- Pelipper
- Pidgeot
- Raticate
- Sableye
- Seaking
- Spinda
- Swalot
- Togetic
- Tropius
- Unown
- Volbeat
- Wigglytuff
- Whiscash
- Wormadam [Grass]
- Wormadam [Ground]
- Wormadam [Steel]

-For a team of six, you should try to counter all the common OU Pokemon, yes it is do
-Have a central strategy, don't just squish in random Pokemon just for the sake of having a team.
-Resistances are key.

Here's a list of Pokemon you can chain for EVs:

Hit Points
Chain Gastrodon (2 HP EVs): 213, 218, 221, 222, 230, Iron Works

Attack
Chain Biibarel (2 Atk EVs): 208, 209, 210 north, 212 south, Lake Valour, Spring Path, Lake Acuity
Chain Kriketune (2 Atk EVs): 206, 212, 214, 215, Trophey Garden

Defense
Chain Graveler (2 def EVs): Lake Valour

Special Attack
Chain Kadabra (2 SAtk EVs): 215
Chain Roselia (2 SAtk EVs): 212, 221, 224, 225, 229, Trophey Garden
Are Ghastly/Haunter chainable in the Old Chateau? Are they found in grass

Speed
Chain in the Trophy garden for Staravia (2 Spd EVs), Pichu (1 Spd EV), Pikachu (2 Spd EVs)
Chain Floatzel: 213, 218, 221, 222, 224, 230, Fuego Iron Works

Here's a list of places to EV train, which includes people to battle, and routes with, like you said, single Pokemon with EVs:

Places to EV train

Atk - using the Super Rod on Route 209. Gyarados/Seaking (2 Atk EVs each).
Max Atk in 21 battles w/the Power Item and Pkrs.
-Pokeradar chaining for Kricketune (2 Atk EVs each) in Routes: 206, S. 210, 214 and 215.

HP - Route 209 just below Solaceon Town. Use the V.S. Seeker, there is a girl that has 5 Bidoof (1 HP EV each).
50HP IVs per battle w/the Power Item and Pkrs.

Def - Route 214, Digger's Cave. Geodude and Hippopotos (1 Def EV each).

Speed - Route 205. Use the V.S. Seeker, there is a fisherman (the one on the top right) w/6 Magikarp (1 Speed EV each). 60 speed EVs w/the right Power Item and Pkrs.

SpDef - Route 223. Tentacruel (2 SpDef EVs each) and Mantyke (1 SpDef EV each).

SpAtk - Enterna Forest, Old Chateau. Gastly (1 SpAtk EV each).

List of Power items:

Power "Items"

There are 6 Power Items in all. They each give you an additional 4 EVs depending on the Power Items itself.

Power Ankle (blue) - Gives an additional 4 Speed EVs after every battle

Power Band (yellow)- Gives an additional 4 Sp.Def EVs after every battle

Power Belt (orange) - Gives an additional 4 Def EVs after every battle

Power Lens (purple) - Gives an additional 4 SpAtk EVs after every battle

Power Waist (green) - Gives an additional 4 HP EVs after every battle

Power Wrist (red) - Gives an additional 4 Atk EVs after every battle

In my experience, it's not that hard to find common run of the mill starters like squirtle, but you will have to shop around if you are looking for Pokemon with bred movesets for battling, which may or may not cost a lot. There are also people who trade IV bred Pokemon, but all of them are cloned, and most people want other people's cloned IV bred Pokemon.

Now if your looking for a non-IV bred chansey with Seismic Toss and Aromatherapy, those things are pretty hard to obtain aswell

Now things like Pokerus, which is usually so hard to fid in the game, is pretty easy to obtain on wifi. SOe people even add them on as a free gift, or just don't care if it has it since they have multiple pokerus Pokemon.

Now credit time: CB_Colloseum for providing me with the tier list (although similar to smogon anyways) and for the "places to EV train" section.

Last edited:

They're all very different. Azelf is some of a mixed sweeper, Uxie is a mixed wall and Mesprit is the most balanced. BTW they're all very fast.

Physical and Special Sweeper. Physical and Special Wall. A Spiker and an annoyer are my favorites.

For HP Stat: Shellos - Valley Windworks
For Attack Stat: Machoke/Bibarel - Route 211 (East)
For Special Attack Stat: Gastley/Haunter/Gengar - Old Chateau
For Defense: Graveler/Onix - Iron Island
For Special Defense: Tentacool/Tentacruel/Mantyke
For Speed: Staravia/Pikachu - Trophy Garden

They're much all obtainable in the game itself. Only the legendary's and the startes you'd have to Pal Park/Trade. The Only hard to captures are the ones were you need Ruby/Sapphire/LG/FR/Emerald in the GBA slot.

Please note: The thread is from 17 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom