• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Anyone else feeling sad that XY has ended?

Definitely not. XY is the only series I stopped watching halfway through because I lost interest. I picked it up again once XYZ started, but I watched it mostly out of obligation. I wasn't happy with how the characters were handled this saga and overall didn't find most of the episodes entertaining or appealing. It's one series I don't intend on re-watching.

I am enjoying SM quite a bit right now, due largely in part because it's brought the fun, not-so-serious vibe back, as well as more varied characters with interesting backgrounds.

No way. Actually I´m very glad it´s over. I mean, I liked XY. But XY&Z was terrible overall, with pseudo-mature Ash, forced Greninja, pointless romance and edgy dramatic ending. I´ve just liked the Litleo episode. That was cute.

SM is such a fresh restart. I feel like everything is at place again.

I felt XY started well pretty well just part way through it just down hill and didn't fully recover so in some way I ended up disliking more than bw

What's that bad with XYZ?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
I have no idea, I thought it gave the saga a nice focus on a plot line for its final year and some great development moments for most of the cast but I guess everyone sees it as another BW Season 2 disaster now, okay then.

I'll assume like with BW, there's a fair bit of negativty towards a previous Saga that just ended while the initial hype for the new saga is still at a high., and hopefully it dies down eventually

What's that bad with XYZ?

I personally don't know. Probably people hated that Greninja got Infernape-esque treatment and left the bare bones to the rest of the team, who ended up underdeveloped and undefined as a result. I certainly could understand this, even if I actually liked Greninja's development.

Another complaint is the League's result. That brought down the overall opinion toward the series to a lot of people. Sacrificing one of the most important arcs of a saga is a no-no.

Aside of those things, I'm not sure what else people didn't appreciate. Perhaps the sloppy pacing and the rather boring fillers?

I suspect there are 2 camps of XYZ dislike:
1. People who found it too serious/edgy for their taste.
2. People who had high hopes and were subsequently disappointed in league loss/low-key dissipation of Satoshi Geckouga.

I'm also a bit surprised that the recoil is this strong though! XYZ was really well received throughout its airing (except the league result) on these forums.

but at least in its first episodes characters outside Ash were more prominent and had more things going on I guess? So I suppose I do kinda miss that, not THAT much that im shunning SM or anything, but its there
You mean Clemont? And even then...

Lillie getting two episodes out the first 14 isn't that bad.

You mean Clemont? And even then...

Lillie getting two episodes out the first 14 isn't that bad.
Clemont's "retake gym" episode was one of my favorites and a excellent character development and interaction episode. And with Serena there was at least some mystery with what her goal and history with Ash was about and at the time it was fresh before both of those things waned as time went on, but I'm talking about first impressions.

SM isn't bad, it's pretty good. It's still extremely early so I'm only judging what I've seen so far. Give us more serious character episodes for the others, some more frequent we'll done battles and I'll be a happy man.

I'd feel more sad if I wasn't reminded of how the dub was handled this Arc, truthfully, that alone sours it for me too much. I'm hoping for better from SM in that aspect (doubtful, but I can dream).

Seriously, though, it was a good Series and all, but edgy Ash and trophy wife-like Serena along with TR being pointless too often just bored me at times.

yes nice animation, nice story, could have been some episode longer but not fillers but actual training, gym and league battles.

I'm sad, and a little disappointed. I would have enjoyed a few episodes of Ash going back to Pallet Town and maybe a side story episode of Serena arriving in Hoenn, maybe meting/competing against May (and of course having no idea that both her and Serena have a friend in common...)

Edgy? Trophy wife?
Meaning Ash was sort of a Gary Stu badass at times (especially in XY, not as much in XYZ), while Serena was a satellite love interest for her first 47 or so episodes pre-performances and then after performances, went back to being nothing more than a satellite love interest again.

Meaning Ash was sort of a Gary Stu badass at times (especially in XY, not as much in XYZ), while Serena was a satellite love interest for her first 47 or so episodes pre-performances and then after performances, went back to being nothing more than a satellite love interest again.

I think quite a few people could say that Ash was kind of a tough Gary Stu throughout all of XY, including XYZ.

Why does everyone keep talking about Serena and Haruka meeting in Hoenn? Am I misremembering - I thought the last we knew of Haruka was that she was completing the ribbon quest in Johto?

That's true. I think it's more like people would just like to see them meet. She obviously still can't be in Johto after all this time, so the idea that she returned to Hoenn wouldn't be too much of a stretch. I doubt that would happen regardless, but it would be one of the nice aspects of Serena going to Hoenn.

After seeing the finale this morning, I still don't feel too sad. The finale was good and there were some heartwarming moments there, but I still can't say that I'm completely sad about the series being over. It helps that I'm still watching reruns of this season on Cartoon Network's On Demand section before their rights expire and I have the first XY season on DVD to boot, but I still don't feel too sad over XY being over.

I really enjoyed XY and XY&Z from the beginning to end, and I'm sad that it ended. I loved the upgraded visuals, the animation, the teamwork of the four protagonists, and the Mega Evolution specials. Serena is my favorite female lead, starting from a simple girl with a crush who didn't have a goal to a spunky performer/coordinator who is able to choose her own path and dream big. I loved how Bonnie had her own mini-stories and contributed hugely to the main plot against Team Flare, and I enjoyed Clemont's story about him gaining self-confidence as a gym leader and trainer. I know Greninja had received all the favoritism during the whole series, but I really liked how they specifically gave him a subplot that connects from the beginning to end. It would have been better if the rest of Ash's team had received more spotlight, but I'm satisfied with their progress. While Ash losing the league was disappointing, 98% of the episodes were entertaining to me. I loved Manon and Alain's chemistry as motivators for each other, and I was glad Diantha was given a bigger role in the anime. Call me biased, but Steven Stone returning with a shiny Metagross was a huge HUGE plus factor for me - especially considering AG didn't do him any favors. The regional professor being heavily involved throughout the whole series was great, and it was fun to see they kept to the running "gag" of destroying his lab until the very end. I enjoyed Team Rocket and their friendship with their new pokemon Inkay and Gourgeist, and Sawyer is my new favorite rival. The Team Flare plot was amazing, with the four scientists getting personalities and Lysandre getting a backstory (even if it was short).

As for Ash himself, I was glad they made him a badass veteran and a mentor figure to his friends and rival(s). The whole series felt like watching a classic shounen anime, with Ash as the leader and his friends being inspired by him (which, I understand, can be considered a boring formula and too predictable). He might have been a Gary Stu (as mentioned by many) but I really really love Gen6 Ash compared to all the other series. I mentioned this before - Ash was my childhood crush when I first watched the OS and he reignited that soft spot I had for him in XY (something that was utterly smashed in Best Wishes).

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom