• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Anyone else's family not get it?

Luckily, I have an open-minded and understanding family, so it's not a problem. They find it a little weird that I still like Pokémon at my age, but they don't really mind.

Pretty much this. My dad questioned me sometimes why I liked pokemon and I just answer "I find it fun and a good timewaster."

My brother love pokemon, I know this for a fact. But today I asked him if he wanted to watch the show. He declined, and when I asked him why, he said that his friends think Pokemon is stupid. He is five, and so are his friends. He still likes it but is afraid he will be laughed at.

My parents don't really care about the fact that I like Pokemon. However, my dad sometimes teases me, but he takes me to GameStop events and stuff. My mom, on the other hand, doesn't like it that much. Whenever I want to buy a new game she says something like, "Another Pokemon game? You have so many. How about you give one away, and then you can buy another one." I have to remind her that they are all different, but she doesn't really care. Both of them think that I play video games waaay too much, even though I rarely play more than two hours a day.

My family doesn't care. As long as I'm not doing drugs, they're fine.

My parents know I like Pokemon but they don't really seem like they could care less. But I do think they wonder why I still like it at this age.

My parents are exactly the same. Occasionly I show both of them when Pokemon are evolving, it gives me more satisfaction then them however ahaha.

i think my parents sometimes think i'm a little weird because i like a lot of different things, and that i always love stuff like hamtaro, hello kitty, etc, but they're pretty used to it by now, especially for Pokémon XD (they all make fun of me at work though ;__; my boss hates Pokémon XD)

the best part was when my mom got me the Dialga & Palkia DS Lite for my birthday, the guy at the store was like, "oh, he'll love it!" but my mom was like "um, it's for my 18-year old daughter actually ._."

Anime.

Aside from Ghibli, I'm the only one in my house who likes anime, and boy do people rip at me about it. They start bitching and moaning if I put an anime on the big tv downstairs, even if it's dubbed. You should have seen my older brother's facebook comments about me watching Sound of the Sky. It didn't really help that the one moment my older brother comes and says that from over-hearing, he doesn't think it's all the same cutesy crap, is when Felicia randomly glomps Kanata and calls her cute...

As a connection to that; the fact that I live JPop and JRock. My older brother is a musician (if I said what genre it was, he'd kill me for calling it a specific genre, but it's like Rock) and my younger brother likes rap, R&B, pop etc, my Mum also used to work on the promotions team for EMI (y'know Pet Shop Boys? She helped launch them) and my Step-dad did work in promotions to (Soft Cell), so music discussions never end well in my house anyway.

My Mum is very open-minded though, so she doesn't care (in fact, as I don't have a more 'active' hobby like my musician older brother or sportsman younger brother, she's willing to pay for me to travel to the VGC events and stuff).

Also, the standard Pokémon.

As a connection to that; the fact that I live JPop and JRock. My older brother is a musician (if I said what genre it was, he'd kill me for calling it a specific genre, but it's like Rock) and my younger brother likes rap, R&B, pop etc, my Mum also used to work on the promotions team for EMI (y'know Pet Shop Boys? She helped launch them) and my Step-dad did work in promotions to (Soft Cell), so music discussions never end well in my house anyway.
oh, yeah, my mom does get... i don't want to say "annoyed" because its not like she's actually upset or thinks i'm stupid or anything, but my mom is not fond of watching subtitled movies or shows in any case, so my mom doesn't like when she gets stuck around when i'm watching a subbed anime or listening to a Japanese cd, but that's not because she thinks it's weird, she just doesn't like watching anything not dubbed cause she doesn't like reading subtitles/finds it distracting when the music is not in english @_@

Apparently my mom thinks that video games are for little kids and makes fun of me for playing on the Nintendo DS or Wii.
Also, my mom makes fun of my posture at the computer...

Drawing hobbies. My mom hates it.

Playing games. She hates it as well.

Pokemon. My dad makes fun of me that I like Pokemon just because I watched an episode on TV when I was 21.

My mom loves to give me shit for the some of the stuff I read. I have all these chapter books hidden under my bed because if she sees me reading one of them she calls me immature and pathetic. Never mind any of the classics I've read, nope, if I so much as pick up an Animorphs book I have the mentality of a nine year-old.

My mom is pretty understanding, actually. She's tolerated my recent interest in heavy metal music better than I imagined she would. She just lets me keep to myself and doesn't mind what I like, as long I'm not doing any actual damage, which is all I could ever ask for, really.

My brother, on the other hand, thinks I'm clinically insane.

I'm probably the only one here with understanding parents, and it's ironic since I'm from a Muslim family. My parents allow me to buy games. (I've heard horror stories of Muslim kids not being able to have video games or even certain toys because the parents thought they were un-Islamic. I met a Muslim from the UK who said that his father wouldn't even let him own an iPod because "music is haram".)

My parents are very hands-off when it comes to Pokemon. I can't really talk about it since it's not their area of interest. But you can't expect parents and grandparents to like the same thing as you. You might not like it if your 78-year-old grandmother thinks Debbie Reynolds and Anne Bancroft were much better actresses than Emma Watson and Lea Michele. (You might recognize the first one. The second one was married to Mel Brooks.) But just accept it. And I know a lot of people my age who don't like anything Japanese. People don't get why me and most of my male friends hate rugby.

You might have a hard time believing this, but generation gaps are as old as history. Remember that during the 1950s a lot of parents didn't get why their kids liked rock music so much. And in the 1920s many parents didn't get why their kids liked jazz or why their daughters cut their hair so short.

My sister doesnt really care. She gets annoyed when i want to show her anything(mostly pokemon stuff). she isnt really into it, and she did get Pearl version just to try out the game..but gave it to me a year later. the only common intrest we have is MLP FIM.she always says "there will be one day you will wake up and say 'I don't like pokemon anymore' ." And I say "That will never happen." From the looks of it, my statement is true and will be.

when it comes to my parents,My mom doesn't seem care at all when it comes to Pokemon. My dad hates it and teases me about it. I have abandoned showing them, any of my Pokemon-related acheivements(ex:I officially caught them all as of yesterday,the last pokemon i needed was Keldeo), espescially to my dad. And any sort of artwork I make, i have abandoned showing to them as well. My mom supports my artwork, my dad just criticizes(me and my sis have abandoned any attempts at showing my dad any drawings. It always ends up with him making some crude remark). I made this Blaziken drawing with epic lighting and shadowing effects,my mom liked the shading and my dad was all like "Why does it have p***s feathers?" -_-
I now draw in privacy. I only show my drawings to my sis, and only on occasion.
And my dad considers Pokemon mindless crap. he knows nothing of the competitive field, and the awesome strategy, or the lessons it teaches (I have gotten better sportsmanship and manners because of it).
My mom seems to understand the strategical aspect of it after going to the World championships with me a few weeks ago.
My sister gives no f***s.
Dont get me started on MLP FIM
My dad absolutely despises it, more than he does Pokemon. "TURN THAT CRAP OFF!"
My mom finds it silly that I like it, but me and my sis have explained things like the little references and the fandom and stuff like that.
My sis likes MLP FiM, except I seem to be into it a bit more...XD

My sister despairs over my love of film music, and Nintendo (besides from professor layton, which she loves). My mum teases me about my love for top gear and quiz shows. My stepdad teases me about reading, and my dad teases me about everything he can. The only family members who don't mock me about something are my step mum (who's too nice) and my baby brother (who's only 2)

My parents believe all anime is "PokEmon". Every time I buy some sort of anime merch, they think I'm wasting money on Pokemon things. Oh and they either think video games are for kids or they shouldn't be played if they're violent. My brother doesn't really care that I like Pokemon, it's just another video game series that I like and he's learned to respect my interests. When I was 12 though, he lectured me on not to be like a guy he saw at the theaters who was decorated in Powerpuff Girl stuff.

Last edited:
I've kept most of my interests to myself for years now. My close friends know it all, but others don't really know much of anything. Lol. That pretty much includes my parents at this point.

What they do know is my interest in woodwind instruments, and they have become incredibly supportive of it. Like, my mom has even tried to push me to buy an English horn, which is just flat out strange of her because I don't really *need* one, and I had actually considered my must-have instruments complete once I got my oboe last year. Lol.

So, no... They don't really tease me or anything. However, I must say they never liked that I liked Pokemon and probably wouldn't be too happy to know that I still am into it... Although it's much less so now than when they hated it. I only buy one of each mainline game and that's the extent it goes to, so I can't see them being too unhappy about it. lol

Yeah, my mom often says "are you chatting with your Pokémon friends again?" when I'm on my laptop, or she brings it up when we have an argument about school. I never told her anything about it, but I'm sure she spied on me and my activity. I hate this, I would never spy on what she discusses with friends in mail or texting.

And my dad doesn't talk about it, but he's said once: "aren't you too old for that stuff?" It hurts, but like I care. I have my own hobbies and interests my parents have no saying on.

My parents don't care what I do as long as I don't do drugs or drop out of school.

My mom does refer to anything anime related as Pokemon though. I guess that can be considered not getting it.

My mom used to be like that. She happily got me Pokemon games for Christmas, but when I started showing an absolute love for the series, that's when the criticisms started coming in. Though, in her defense, she didn't mean any harm. She was just a little concerned because I have never showed any major love towards a franchise before. Now she and my dad encourage me and let me do what I love to do without any concern. Hey, I never smoked, did drugs, or got into any major trouble, so as long as I stay out of trouble, they are cool with things. :D

It's funny because the ones who are not all that understanding are some of my friends. I have a few friends who tell me I am too old for collecting toys meant for little kids or playing video games. I find that last one a little hypocritical because they play video games, too. They just don't play the family friendly ones. They are into violent stuff like WoW, Gears of War, Halo, or Call of Duty, games that I have no interest in whatsoever. Still, for all the nonsense criticisms they give me in regards to some of my hobbies, I just ignore it.

Back
Top Bottom