• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Anyone else's family not get it?

My family are generally open minded and thankfully all quite childish themselves. They're aware that I still like Pokemon and they don't really get it. Everytime I get a new plush in the mail my mum refers to it as 'Pikachu', so the ignorance level is off the charts but they aren't intolerant by any means. My room is so full of childish things and bright colours, it looks sort of like a kids nursery but my mum says it looks lovely. I think part of that attitude comes from me being the youngest child and generally not being looked upon as an adult anyway even though i'm 23. My mum still thinks of me as her little girl and my brother's think of me as their little sister so I get away with my childlike tastes quite a lot :b

I bet my mom and dad would prefer if my hobbies were more "productive", but most of the time they leave me alone about it. My mom recognizes video games are important to me and respects that sentiment most of the time. She even listened to me talk about how Team Plasma's goals in B/W related to some issues in the real world with interest. Usually, the only time when they openly state it's stupid is either when they're mad at me for something, or mad at my brothers for playing too much. I really don't like it when I get in trouble because my brothers' bad habits... oh, and my younger brother tends to ridicule whatever I'm interested in, but when he tries it for himself, he ends up loving it.

Usually though, when they let their disapproval shine through, I calm myself down by reminding myself that other popular pastimes, like binge-watching Netflix, are no better than playing two hours of Pokemon or Minecraft. And at least I'm not a Candy-Crush addict.

Last edited:
My family has the good taste to be relatively estranged from me and my interests. I did gain a love of certain bands/types of music from them though.
I used to worry about what certain friends might think of my nerdy inner child but i really can't be bothered now because i found that most of them liked pokemon at some point and will say things like "ooh, yeah i had the GBA and Ralts was my favourite."

My family makes fun of both my liking of Pokemon and anime in general

My family doesn't really make fun of me for liking anything. When I ask for a new Mario game or something along these lines, they say it is childish but buy it anyways.

My parents don't care at all, but they do think I should spend less time (for good reasons, granted).

However, my younger brothers always love to make fun of me for it. They also love to mimic the desk-slamming habit I got from Ace Attorney, so does that count?

Spending £50 on games/merch etc is 'a waste of money', while spending the same or much more on alcohol or cigarettes in a weekend is perfectly acceptable... :banghead: At least I have something to show for my money at the end of it...

And of course I get the old 'haven't you grew out of that yet?'

Spending £50 on games/merch etc is 'a waste of money', while spending the same or much more on alcohol or cigarettes in a weekend is perfectly acceptable... :banghead: At least I have something to show for my money at the end of it...

And of course I get the old 'haven't you grew out of that yet?'

All of this^

My dad's the one who thinks it's a waste of money, but he's very economical with his money and thinks almost everything is a waste of money. But always when I talk to him about games or figurines I got he sort of ignores me and changes the subject. It's quite annoying and it saddens me that he isn't more supportive of my main hobby.

I get the 'haven't you grew out of that yet' from my boyfriend's mom when she hears I play Pokémon. Also very annoying cause it's not her goddamn business at all.

Luckily my own mom is very supportive of my gaming hobby, she even got into gaming herself. I can always talk to her about it, she actually listens and sometimes even helps me get stuff, e.g. she drives me to places so I can buy merch and she switched from energy supplier because it would get me a free 3DS. Though now that I'm getting close to 25 she does sometimes try to stop me from buying too many figurines, asking me what I'd do with them as soon as I have kids of my own (don't worry mom, that's not gonna happen for a looooong time).

Luckily my own mom is very supportive of my gaming hobby, she even got into gaming herself. I can always talk to her about it, she actually listens and sometimes even helps me get stuff, e.g. she drives me to places so I can buy merch and she switched from energy supplier because it would get me a free 3DS.

Which energy supplier gives away free 3DSs?!? I don't care if i don't live in the Netherlands, i want that deal!!! lol.

My mom in particular thinks I should have stopped playing Pokemon/video games years ago, but overall she doesn't really care. It's not something she harasses me about or anything. In fact, I think she's a bit more excepting of it because I've been considering going into gaming as a minor.

Luckily my own mom is very supportive of my gaming hobby, she even got into gaming herself. I can always talk to her about it, she actually listens and sometimes even helps me get stuff, e.g. she drives me to places so I can buy merch and she switched from energy supplier because it would get me a free 3DS.

Which energy supplier gives away free 3DSs?!? I don't care if i don't live in the Netherlands, i want that deal!!! lol.

There was a thing here a few years ago that if you switched energie suppliers (didn't matter which one) you could choose a gift from a webshop. You could also get a Wii mini, an e-reader and all kinds of awesome stuff. Guess it was a thing to motivate people to switch energy suppliers, I have no idea why but I'm not complaining lol. Just sad it's not a thing anymore.

For the most part I dont get crap from anyone for it but I know my dad would like me to spend less money on gaming. Its a too expensive hobby for him.

I have conservative Asian parents who are also very religious. Things are difficult until I moved out recently.

Gaming in general. After graduating, since I was spending more time in work, parents started to care less about it (and I've been buying with my own money since uni). They do advise that I spend less time on it.
Honestly anything that requires spending time alone indoors (like surfing on the internet) worries my parents, but again, after I entered work, they comment less on it. (But mom...I still stand by that it's no different from watching TV for hours anyway.)

My girlfriend thinks nothing of it. She's even watched me in a few online battles rooting for me. My sisters (both younger) love video games as much as I do, however where I enjoy Pokemon, they like Kingdom Hearts. I suppose it all boils down to tastes.

Status update:

My mom still hates gaming and anime and thinks its for babies, but my father recently started acknowledging that comics and anime are an important part of the media. He reads webcomics and we often discuss about them. He even bought a complete set of a published webcomic he enjoyed very much, so yeah. I dunno what he thinks about gaming, but I'm glad to see he's understanding my hobbies bit by bit.

My grampa, who criticizes me for playing video games. Yet he plays lots of video games himself, and he says it's okay because they're not the "mindless crap" I play, "help his hand eye coordination", and because "God wants him to". Plus, he was saying the word would end back in 2012 and was 100% serious about it.

Actually, my family gets it pretty well. My parent are very supportive of me and pretty much everything about me, to the point where I'm allowed to crossdress (though I mostly do it in public for shows with my band). My dad and I both play video games, listen to the same music, and watch pretty much the same TV shows. Oh, and it was my ma who got me to start skating after she saw me playing Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2, the first video game I ever put into a PS1. Needless to say, it worked. Thanks, ma.

Whose parent actually get it? They are the lucky ones ;)

It doesn't matter if you are just enjoying yourself (gaming, movies, hobbies) or doing something productive (studying, researching, learning a new instrument/language), they are always going to complain about the same old nonsensical crap.

And that is exactly what we should strive for - to not be like them when we become parents to our kids.

My family is more anti-technology and ant-modernist where as I am very pro-technology and I like some modern things. They also think I need to grow out of some "childish" things like Pokemon, but they've realized by now that I'm growing up at a fine rate lol

Back
Top Bottom