• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Anyone else's family not get it?

My father thinks that anything which doesn't directly appeal to him is pointless and unproductive. Nowadays I don't tell him anything because it's a given that he'll passive aggressively mock me for it.

My father still is annoyed that I like Pokemon, he is also annoyed that I watch some local sitcoms (mostly so I have some topics to bond over with both grandmas and some friends) which are "trash TV" as he says (sometimes even in front of his mother who is also watching), yet he has watched every nook and cranny of Netflix, even some really weird series and films.

My father still is annoyed that I like Pokemon, he is also annoyed that I watch some local sitcoms (mostly so I have some topics to bond over with both grandmas and some friends) which are "trash TV" as he says (sometimes even in front of his mother who is also watching), yet he has watched every nook and cranny of Netflix, even some really weird series and films.
Omg that's so frustrating. D:

I mainly just get the impression people find Pokemon childish, when it's not. The competive side of Pokemon actually involves a lot of strategy and critical thinking.

My mom is sort of open minded. My father struggles to accept different points of view so I find myself arguing with him more than I want to.

Uh yea they don’t get why I like Taylor swift but it’s not that bad

I’ve gotten them into the hunger games which is good. They don’t care much about Pokémon (my siblings like Pokémon though)

Tbh I’m not very vocal about my interests with my parents (wow surprising Lissi isn’t vocal about her interests)

Uh... yeah. My parents couldn't be farther away from me. They were literally born and raised in a completely different culture, so we have a language barrier and they literally don't get it sometimes. As I grew up, I learned not to share any of my interests with them. They'd be mocking about it or just plain confused and think I was a weirdo for liking weirdo shit. As I got older, every time they were reminded I liked Pokemon, they'd say: "You still like that?"

We have so little in common and thus, I cannot really form much of a relationship with them. I gave up a long time ago when I was a quarter of my age now, I realized it so quickly. It's just a misunderstanding condescension from them. They don't even know what my primary interest, Final Fantasy, is. Of course, their condescension has lessened over time. At least, my mom's has. She has somewhat noticed the changing tides of culture and the internet and my generation, though she still doesn't get it. My dad's too old to have any desire to open his mind even slightly. It helps a lot though that I'm an adult and when I get challenged by them, I won't sit down and take that crap anymore. Mom's too afraid of me these days.

Back
Top Bottom