• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Anyone here know a second language?

What languages do you know?

• None, only English

Votes: 12 12.5%
  • I know more than one language asides from English

Votes: 65 67.7%
  • I'm in the process of learning another language

Votes: 35 36.5%

• Total voters

Robo-Floatzel

Jacen the Robot Floatzel
Reaction score
Does anyone here know a second language or is learning a second language? I mostly only know English and a few words from Spanish and Russian, but barely any other languages and wish to learn one.

Yes, English. My native language is Portuguese. I am not sure why you assume everyone here have English as their native language, but whatever.

Yes, English. My native language is Portuguese. I am not sure why you assume everyone here have English as their native language, but whatever.

I don't assume things, but English is the language used mostly on this site by everyone.

I don't assume things, but English is the language used mostly on this site by everyone.

We don't have much choice, as the rules state we're not allowed to use a different language ;)

English is also my second language, my first is Dutch. I also know Frisian and a bit of German.

English is my first language. Throughout my childhood I learned bits and pieces of Italian, Spanish, and Korean. These days I'm studying languages of the East Asian countries.

Irish would be my second language, even though it's the national and main official language here, as a lot more people can speak English.

I have been studying Norwegian for the past 5 months or so. I know enough to hold a basic conversation and fight my way through newspaper articles.

I have a Grade 2 CSE in French, but can't remember much, as that was eons ago

Currently, I'm taking Spanish classes, so I guess I can speak a little of that. Not even close to be fluent, though, and I can really only say basic stuff.

However, I have thought of trying to learn Italian and Japanese online. I sorta lack the motivation to do so, but it's something that's crossed my mind quite a few times.

My second language is obviously English. I also learned a little bit Mandarin, very good at Indonesian, and some Japanese words.

My first language is Dutch, English is my second language and I also know some French.
I can understand and read German, but I can't speak it well. I can read Spanish and Italian as well, but not speak it.

Last edited:
I grew up with English and French, studied 2 years of Spanish in high school, and am now in third semester Mandarin, for which I have a test tomorrow.

My second language is Malayalam, though I'm better at understanding it than speaking or reading it. I'm also learning Italian in school. I also know bits and pieces of Hindi and Japanese (both of which I will learn more of later on).

Last edited:
I only know English. However, since I grew up in the Caribbean I can speak and understand the local dialect spoken there which is known by the creative term "Dialect" at least where I lived. Technically not a second language but people from outside the Caribbean can't understand it.

I also know enough French to understand it but I am not fluent with speaking. I have since given up on learning any new languages.

I'm an odd case for a Canadian. My first language is Ukrainian (my Mother's maternal language), but I was fluent in English by the age of 4. I did my elementary schooling in French for various reasons, and continue to use all three on a daily basis.

I can only speak English. I know some Spanish because I took Spanish 1,2, and 3 in high school, but I'm not fluent in it at all. I can usually understand at least some of it when it's written down though.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom