• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Anyone interested in gardening

JosephVenne

Reaction score
Hello all,
I am totally new to gardening. Last year I tried gardening and I was really excited in the beginning, but it was a total failure. By the end of 3 months my plants looked just like sticks on the ground. It was really frustrating and I gave up gardening. I don't understand what went wrong. This year I am again planning for gardening, but for that I need your suggestions and opinions. I recently read an article about the advantages of mulches in garden and I would like to know whether any of you here know how to prepare mulch in home? Last time I didn't use any mulch, so I think that this time my gardening plan will be a success. Also it will be very helpful if you can share few gardening tips. Thanks in advance.

At the moment, I am growing mangos and grapefruits in my backyard. We use the typcial mulches found in Lowes and we water them every single morning, unless rain comes by and does the work for us for the next week. XD

I'll let the other Bulbamembers who are more experienced in gardening smaller fruits and veggies answer your questions on how to manage a great garden, but current events have piqued my interest in gardening and sustaining food growth that'll help my entire family. Cheaper and healthier. We'd love to grow tomatos, avocados, broccolli, cucumbers, squash, strawberries, lettuce, beans, corn, hot peppers... all our favorites grown in our house with temperature control or our tiny backyard with three dogs with the mango and grapefruit plants! :ROFLMAO: We'd probably go to the nearest IKEA that would help with the smaller vegetables and fruits, but the larger ones like corn we'd have to keep the dogs out of the garden with giant rocks and a small fence to keep them out. Also, things like pulling weeds and watering are essential. Pests... get rid of them. I use organic pesticides to get rid of them from our mango and grapefruit trees.

I live in an area close to Nor Cal and Oregon. Very unpredictable weather but them's the breaks and it requires more work, but it's worth it!

Besides growing plants on my window sill, I do know something about gardening :p I'm used to helping my grandmom in the garden and know how to dig, how to look after the plants both indoors and outdoors, how to get rid of brown stink bug and how to pull weeds. Though, I know mostly how to treat decorative flowers, I managed to grow some veggies in the pot. The main skill here is to know how and when. Water, warmth, light - these are three essentials to proper gardening.

Mulch you can get at places like Lowes, The Home Depot, or any general gardening store can work just as well. If you do want to make mulch at home then make sure you stir it as instructed as it can and will catch on fire, if it's piled too deeply it starts building up heat pretty fast. This can happen with store bought ones too though, so it's very essential that you follow instructions on how to properly use it, take into consideration of the weather as well as that can cause mulch already used to catch on fire.

That being said it does bring out the best results, my father, brother, and I used some homemade mulch to help the grass in my front yard which had been dying for a while and it's now very green and healthy! Simply using grass clippings, leaves, wood chips, etc. can make awesome organic mulch, it can also be used for growing flowers if you still have mulch left over. Most of the time though I'll use store bought kind as some types of mulch can require other ingredients that I might not/don't have at home, I still had favorable results with mulch from stores for various flower beds.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom