• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Are more then three companions too much?

Yes. The current cast doesn't have that problem since they're treated as recurring characters.

Heck, Rotomdex is getting more screentime and maybe even a role than some of these mooks.

I don't know what made them decide to make Ash-tachii the biggest it's ever been, but it's kind of backfiring...

To be perfectly honest, I think more than two is too much.

Realistically, they should be able to focus on and develop three or more companions. The past few series, however, have proven that this is something that isn't working. The human characters are usually my favorite aspect of the show, but I haven't been invested in any of them for quite a while. The development of the companions has been severely lacking.

I think the lack of traveling in SM benefits the other characters. They don't have to be shoehorned into every episode. Even if they just make a minor appearance, they're usually pretty enjoyable and their personalities stand out nicely. We're only 20 episodes in, though, so that could always change. This larger group is working out right now, but they're also not traveling around like usual.

No, it's not too much. There's plenty of time for each character. If the recent trend of not having Character of the Day/Pokemon of the Day episodes continues they'll have even more time. It's up to the writers to make use of that time.

It's definitely too much. The more characters there are, the more the spotlight will need to be split, reducing significantly the available time to develop all characters, resulting in some of them ending terribly underdeveloped.

Theoretically speaking, it may be possible. Realistically speaking, Pokémon has never been good at splitting the spotlight.

I always prefer less but more developed than more but half baked.

No - I don't feel it is. I don't believe all characters or companions require equal amounts of screentime or development; it depends on the role that is handed to them.

For instance, the writers had Dento at such an elevated rank (A-Class Sommelier) in order to shelve off some of his development and distribute this to his other two companions. Dento, like Brock before him, had a role that wasn't directly concerned with his own development but instead, the development of those around him. These two companions were portrayed as the older, more mature member of the group who noticed something unique within Ash and wished to help him grow in his journey.

Some characters will be in such a position in their lives that due to their immaturity, or plot-relevance, they will have more development or screentime to accommodate their growth. Others will complement this as they are further on in their lives, more comfortable in their state of affairs - and they will lend themselves to helping other characters grow (it's not to suggest that they themselves will not grow, but their growth will be more subtle).

It depends on whether the right characters get the right development. Some characters will surprise you in how relevant they become to the plot; others are destined from the start to grow.

Yep. In SM the only character that "needs" development is Lillie, with Ash going through the usual motions.

I suspect that Kiawe, Lana, Sophocles and Mallow will become trial captains when all is said and done, but that is something that can develop organically as they help Ash with his trials.

Last edited:
So people are perfectly fine with having some characters being purposeless fodder
They aren't purposeless when they help eliminate COTDs and flesh out Alola's sense of community.

But sure, if what you pine for is the likes of Showcases and a gym leader losing to Ash as par for the course...

We aren't talking about XY here, but more in general. And I stand by what I stated, and that there are currently too many characters in the cast, which I fear may not be fleshed out well enough. The writers struggle already with only two companions, let alone five!

Besides, what's exactly wrong with COTDs? Some of them get more development in a single episode than a main character in all a series. I still remember fondly the boy with the Skiploom back in Johto, where he worked hard for a tournament and managed to beat an overconfident Ash. He was a one-hit wonder for me.

Simply put, I don't want a game character to be treated like a COTD with an in-game mask, but rather as a character with some kind of goal and which is fleshed out around that goal throughout all the saga. They have the privilege of having plenty of episodes for that, so it would be appreciated if they used that time well.

As such, I seriously hope that the SM characters will get something consistent, so that they won't become the next Cilan/Clemont.

The next Cilan/Clemont? Oh boy...

Mallow's cooking aspect is from the games. Sure, it's mundane, but they aren't doing a disservice to the game counterpart. The best part about her is how much she cares about Lillie.

Mallow's cooking aspect is from the games. Sure, it's mundane, but they aren't doing a disservice to the game counterpart. The best part about her is how much she cares about Lillie.

Mallow loves cooking…

Well, it's fairly easy to work from here. For example, she may aspire to become Master Chef and work on different kinds of dishes. And for an added humor, her friends could be her "guinea pigs" and try out all her creations, with varying (and potentially hilarious) reactions.

That would both combine a trait of hers while giving her some kind of tangible goal.

What's with the obsession with Master goals? If I met people like that in real life, I would despise them for their arrogance.

She wants her family's restaurant to be the best in Alola. Isn't that enough?

… *sigh* Fine, remove the world "Master". Let her become one of the best or most creative chefs in Alola, then. Just whatever it takes to make her active enough and give her something tangible.

Her family isn't part of the main cast, though. So unless they become recurring characters, most of the eventual development would be off-screen.

Still, I wouldn't mind seeing Mallow helping them in accomplishing said objective, though. It just would need to be showcased, once in a while, since facts tell more than simple words.

So people are perfectly fine with having some characters being purposeless fodder?

Well, there is nothing wrong with that, but I personally think that's kinda a waste.

Why would they be purposeless fodder?

Characters don't need a goal or even their own arc to be active in the story. If they're able to influence the decisions of other characters, they are active. Someone like Mallow doesn't have to aspire to be anything to be relevant when she's in a position to influence the development of Lillie by being her closest friend. Likewise, if Sophocles plays a more frequent role in Ash's training, he's an active character.

Whether they end up as good characters or not depends on other factors, but the point here is that characters don't suddenly become worthless if they don't have a goal or if the show doesn't focus on them. If the focus is on Ash's time in Alola and on Lillie's growth as a person then every character that plays a part and influence that is a relevant, active character. Whether they change or not as well doesn't matter.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom