• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Are you happy they replace characters?

How do you feel on this?

• Yes

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • No

Votes: 10 14.9%
  • Both

Votes: 35 52.2%

• Total voters
for me it would feel strange if they got rid of ash and Pikachu now in some ways I still miss brock but if they did it with unova it could have worked if they introduced new characters like they do in digimon and later series of yu-gi-oh

for me it would feel strange if they got rid of ash and Pikachu now in some ways I still miss brock but if they did it with unova it could have worked if they introduced new characters like they do in digimon and later series of yu-gi-oh

I think it would have been far too late to do that with BW. Other franchises like Yu-Gi-Oh! and Digimon have had a full cast change, but not over a decade later. They changed casts starting from the second series. I can understand why people would want that to happen and if they did start it around either Johto or AG, I think it could have worked. But wanting a full cast change twenty years later is just not really a good idea. For better or for worse, Ash and Pikachu are too iconic for the anime for them to even consider replacing them. Replacing Ash's friends while keeping him around is basically a way for the writers to have their cake and eat it too. They can create a new cast for Ash to interact with for every new series while they still keep him, Pikachu and Team Rocket around.

How comes the TRio never gets replaced?

Because they're also too popular and iconic for the writers to get rid of them too. They have been used to promote the newest Pokemon distributions for the movies in Japan for quite some time. I still remember hearing about their radio show during BW. They seem to be pretty popular in Japan at least. Plus, I imagine that it's easier to give Ash some new friends rather than making up a new trio of villains based on each evil team. I don't think that would have worked out too well.

I can sort of get your point about it being to late to replace the characters but they basically rebooted the show with bw so with they replaced them it would be less of a kick to the teeth for the older fans not having to see them butcher all the good work in terms of ash's growth

I can sort of get your point about it being to late to replace the characters but they basically rebooted the show with bw so with they replaced them it would be less of a kick to the teeth for the older fans not having to see them butcher all the good work in terms of ash's growth

It wasn't really a reboot. At most, it was a soft reboot since the events of the previous series still happened. Even with how little references to previous series we got during XY, those events still happened. As for the issue with older fans, we aren't the target demographic for the show. They never have written the show just for people who have watched from the beginning or for many years. They've always written with children in mind. They'd throw older fans a bone every now and then, but their main objective has always been to appeal to the target audience, not with older fans. I don't think that the'd take people like us into consideration.

I agree that they don't consider the older fans when they making the show but before bw they didn't regress ash's character he was slowly getting some what more mature as well as more skilled but then they undid of no clear reason when they hadn't before that point and goodness knows what their logic was for turning team rocket into mindless zombies

I agree that they don't consider the older fans when they making the show but before bw they didn't regress ash's character he was slowly getting some what more mature as well as more skilled but then they undid of no clear reason when they hadn't before that point and goodness knows what their logic was for turning team rocket into mindless zombies
They though they could appeal more to new children fan probably. I wonder if children who know the anime has been running since 1997 appreciated seeing Ash being a rookie.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

but theirs no reason to think they need to reboot ash's character for the new kids when they hadn't for the last several years

but theirs no reason to think they need to reboot ash's character for the new kids when they hadn't for the last several years

Seems BW was written by a bunch of incompetents. Instead of building on the success that was DP, they decided to trash it maybe hoping to attract new fans or maybe just for the sake of it.

which was a shame by the end you could tell even the show makers completely lost interest dragging it down even further

For some reason, the Gen V games too were a reboot. You couldn't get Pokémon from previous generations.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

which makes it irritating they feel that they needed to follow that element of the game when was no real reason they needed to and they could have still used the series to promote the games

For me, it really depends on the situation. If they didn't replace characters, we would never have gotten the likes of May and Dawn. On the other hand, there is the possibility that those characters would have gotten stale like Brock did after his stay in the series as well.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom