• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Ash's Pikachu's Poké Ball

Pattyman

Utopian
Reaction score
Was it possible that the lightning bolt symbol on Ash's Pikachu's Poké Ball was made out of paint that easily peels off in water or the writers/developers forgot to put it in there in other episodes aside from the first? We only got to see it in the very first episode and in none of the other episodes involving Pikachu's Poké Ball showed the lightning bolt symbol. During the first episode, Ash went swimming in his clothes and ran through a rain storm while getting Pikachu to safety, which is a possible sign that the lightning bolt symbol was peeling off the Poké Ball as it wasn't shown.

It's most likely the writers completely forgot about it.

I found it disappointing when it wasn't on the poke ball in the recent Poke Ball Factory episode. Would have been great fan service to the fans who been watching the anime since the very beginning.

Last edited:
I truly fail to understand why so many people wonder about where the lightning bolt mark has gone when it was already gone as soon Ash went outside Oak's lab:

176.jpg

It's definitely not an error or something the writers have forgotten to add in later episodes. Also consider this:

- Gary had his Squirtle's Poké Ball in his hand before Ash visited Oak, while an empty one supposed to contain Squirtle was still inside Oak's lab (same applies to Bulbasaur's and Charmander's Poké Balls).

- Ash was never seen recalling Pikachu to the Ball with the lightning bolt mark.

- Oak gave Ash six Poké Balls as opposed to five.

Thus, it's pretty much a fact that in this specific case the Starter Pokémon were given a new Poké Ball as soon as they were chosen by their Trainers. I'm pretty sure that in later instances of Trainers receiving a Starter Pokémon, they kept the Poké Ball that they were given the Pokémon in. Why this is, we can only guess, but remember that the Anime was just starting out and developing, and that many things from the early days of the Anime have since been retconned/changed.

Last edited:
I didn't care too much about the lightning bolt mark anyway. I just came up with a theory since other people were asking about it and the fact that it was one of those things that kept getting added and then removed on Bulbapedia.

Aside from that, do thanks for the explanation and what really happened.

Also, I think some of the other stuff regarding the Poké Ball may need some serious rewording.

I think it's more of a scrapped Monster Ball, the one with the lightning bolt... To me it always seemed this one and the one Satoshi has are different balls.
But is it of any importance? Pikachu won't ever be called back for all we know, the episodes we got to see this particular Monster Ball (like that Kalos one) were bonuses in my opinion.

Last edited:
I truly fail to understand why so many people wonder about where the lightning bolt mark has gone when it was already gone as soon Ash went outside Oak's lab:

176.jpg

It's definitely not an error or something the writers have forgotten to add in later episodes. Also consider this:

- Gary had his Squirtle's Poké Ball in his hand before Ash visited Oak, while an empty one supposed to contain Squirtle was still inside Oak's lab (same applies to Bulbasaur's and Charmander's Poké Balls).

- Ash was never seen recalling Pikachu to the Ball with the lightning bolt mark.

- Oak gave Ash six Poké Balls as opposed to five.

Thus, it's pretty much a fact that in this specific case the Starter Pokémon were given a new Poké Ball as soon as they were chosen by their Trainers. I'm pretty sure that in later instances of Trainers receiving a Starter Pokémon, they kept the Poké Ball that they were given the Pokémon in. Why this is, we can only guess, but remember that the Anime was just starting out and developing, and that many things from the early days of the Anime have since been retconned/changed.

Wow, I always thought that throughout the episode the poke ball was the one Pikachu originally came in. Must have completely looked over that since I was so young. I should feel even more ashamed since I re-watched this episode a ton of times before.

Thanks for clearing that up anyways. Now I know something most of the community doesn't lol.

Neo Blaze pretty much summed this up. Oak placed the three starters and Pikachu in special Poke Balls - with the three starters' balls having their Japanese names embroidered on their face - and Pikachu's with a lightning bolt. Oak obviously kept the starters' balls after Gary and the other 2 Pallet trainers left with their respective mons, so it wouldn't be weird that Oak kept Pikachu's original ball as well.

Oak presumably released the four Pokemon, and each trainer used one of their six respective balls to catch the starter (like how Paul released Chimchar in DP and Ash was able to catch it moments later with his own ball).

The real question is: How did Ash and Oak successfully force Pikachu into Ash's ball?

What makes you think that Oak is going to let these kids keep his special pokeballs?

New theory: Pikachu is just a wild Pokemon that Ash was able to bond with after Oak released it.

I think the lightning bolt mark, along with the other marks, were just for show for when trainers were choosing their starter. Once they were chosen, they were transferred from the "showcase" ball, as I'll call it, to a regular Poke Ball.

...at least, that's what I'd like to believe happened. It was most likely the animators having a dumb.

Neo Blaze pretty much summed this up. Oak placed the three starters and Pikachu in special Poke Balls - with the three starters' balls having their Japanese names embroidered on their face - and Pikachu's with a lightning bolt. Oak obviously kept the starters' balls after Gary and the other 2 Pallet trainers left with their respective mons, so it wouldn't be weird that Oak kept Pikachu's original ball as well.

Oak presumably released the four Pokemon, and each trainer used one of their six respective balls to catch the starter (like how Paul released Chimchar in DP and Ash was able to catch it moments later with his own ball).

The real question is: How did Ash and Oak successfully force Pikachu into Ash's ball?

I like this theory.

I wasn't actually aware of it not being on the ball in the first episode and assumed it was an oversight. Weird.

I think the lightning bolt mark, along with the other marks, were just for show for when trainers were choosing their starter. Once they were chosen, they were transferred from the "showcase" ball, as I'll call it, to a regular Poke Ball.

...at least, that's what I'd like to believe happened. It was most likely the animators having a dumb.

Can't remember which one, however in an episode, Team Rocket steals lots of Pokéballs from several trainers. Then Ash and one of minor character find the truck that Team Rocket drives for the moment and they find all Pokéballs in a sack. Ash says there are lots of Pokéballs so he can't know which are the ones that belong to him. The minor character says he can find his Pokéballs easily because he puts star stick on his Pokéballs and so he finds his Pokéballs easily with the star mark.

In short, this theory dies.

Richie's a minor character? the guy who eliminates Ash in the Indigo League?

My super theory is that the lighting bolt symbol was a cheap sticker that fell off when Pikachu shocked them. The empty starter's Poké Balls were simply put there by the Professor after the other Trainers left, just to troll Ash because why not?

I don't see why this is such a big deal. It probably went down like this...

"Hey, why did we put a thunderbolt on that Pokeball again??"

"Beats me." "Dunno."

"Why don't we just pretend we never did that so a menial detail like that won't slow down the animation process?

"Sounds good." "Okay."

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom