• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Ash's Strongest Pokemon for each type

pokepal_123

Reaction score
This is basically to discuss who you think is Ash's strongest Pokemon for each of the types he owns.

For me it would be:
Grass:Sceptile
Fire:Charizard
Water:Frogadier(from what we've since of it so far especially since evolution)
Flying:Swellow
Rock:Boldore
Ground:Gliscor
Dark:Krookadile
Fighting:Infernape
Bug:Heracross
Dragon:Goodra
Ice:Glalie
Poison:Muk

you seem to have forgot quite an important type; electric which is of course pikachu
grass: bulbasaur probably an unpopular opinion and i agree sceptile is incredibly strong, but i have always thought of bulbasaur as one of his strongest lets not forget it could of evolved so its certainly strong
fire: charizard by a mile
water: atm i'd say squirtle howerver frogadier does have lots of potential
flying: swellow i agree here
rock: has to be boldore because of no other options
ground: gliscor
dark: again has to be krookadile due to no other options
fighting: infernape
bug: heracross
dragon: gible
ice: glaile
poison: muk
normal: snorlax
a couple of the botton ones are the only pokemon he has in each type but yeah these are his stongest in each type for me

This should be fairly easy enough to list.

Grass: Sceptile (it did, after all, defeat a near-invincible Darkrai in Sinnoh, being the only Pokemon to ever beat it)
Fire: Charizard (mega duh there)
Water: Frogadier (seeing how well it's been doing over it's tenure so far, plus the fact it actually evolved)
Electric: Pikachu (mega-mega duh)
Poison: Bulbasaur
Bug: Heracross
Flying: Swellow
Ground: Gliscor
Dark: Krookodile
Ice: Glalie
Dragon: Gible
Fighting: Infernape
Normal: Snorlax
Rock: Boldore

That should about sum it up.

We really can't say which Pokémon is "strongest."

Our views of whether Pokémon A is stronger than Pokémon B can only be based on what we observe on-screen; that is, in a battle under Ash. For example, most people would assume that Squirtle > Totodile because a) Ash had the former on his team for a longer period of time, b) it became more powerful while it fought fires with the Squirtle Squad, and c) Totodile couldn't defeat Macey's Electabuzz whereas Squirtle effortlessly did.

But who knows how much stronger either Pokémon could have gotten after that battle? Totodile in particular hasn't been used on screen since DP182, and it hasn't been used by Ash in an official battle since the fight with Harrison. For all we know, Totodile could have learned quite a few new moves and improved its power and speed while it was at Oak's. It may have even surpassed Squirtle in those regards.

And as we have seen with Pokémon like Heracross and Snorlax in the past, those Pokémon can and do become stronger by training at Oak's laboratory. Heracross, who was considered to be so slow that Shingo thought his Scizor could effortlessly outspeed it in early Johto, became so fast that it effortlessly dodged Gary's Magmar's Flamethrower during the Johto League. Snorlax learned Ice Punch and became bulkier overall during the same time. This happened once again in the Sinnoh League, where we found out that Cyndaquil, Noctowl, and Heracross all learned new moves and became stronger overall. But because Ash only used a limited number of his Pokémon, and because some of the more commonly used ones (i.e. Sceptile, Swellow) were pitted against really powerful Pokémon in their own right, it is even harder to compare Ash's Pokémon by strength.

Even as recently as BW, we have some indication from Oak that Ash's flying-type Pokémon participate in races often, and may result in those Pokémon becoming much faster and stronger than when they were last used by Ash. And those are just the flying-types; who knows what Ash's other mons are doing to raise their power while their trainer is travelling and catching new Pokémon.

Another reason why we can't conclude much about Ash's Pokémon is because the writers ultimately dictate which ones will win in a given situation. The writers' biases naturally come into play and decide which Pokémon triumph over battle or not. In the Kanto League, it was ultimately Ash's lesser used Pokémon - Muk and Krabby-Kingler - and Pikachu who won his most important battles. In the Johto League, the writers focused on the original Kanto starter trio by having Bulbasaur and Squirtle win two battles each in their respective matches, and by having Charizard blow through half of Gary's team in its match. Snorlax was also designated victories because, prior to the Clair battle, it never fought in a major league/gym battle on screen. In the Hoenn League, the writers focused on Ash's recently evolved Glalie, Swellow, and Grovyle to a large effect. In DP, it was Ash's recently evolved Quilava, his rarely used Johto mons Noctowl and Heracross, Infernape, and his recently caught Gible who got most of the wins. In the Unova League, Pikachu, Krookodile, and Pignite hogged up the spotlight.

Because the writers ultimately choose which Pokémon get focused on, and because we can only see so much of each Pokémon on screen, it is impossible for us to conclude which of Ash's Pokémon is strongest. The only ones we can determine are strongest (in terms of type) are the ones in which are unique in type: Pikachu (Electric) and Boldore (Rock).

dark: again has to be krookadile due to no other options

Scraggy is Dark-type too.

Last edited:
Grass: Sceptile
Fire: Charizard
Water: Frogadier
Electric: Pikachu
Poison: Muk
Flying: Staraptor
Dark: Krookodile
Dragon: Goodra
Fighting: Infernape (though I wish Primeape would come back)
Normal: The Tauros Ash used against Drake, or Snorlax

For me...
Grass: Sceptile ( Beating Darkrai and a Mega Evolution Potential one)
Fire: Charizard ( No doubt there)
Water: Frogadier/Greninja (If it evolves....and he has shown more potential than Squirtle because of getting more battles and screen time being first Kalos Pokemon)
Electric: Pikachu
Dark: Krookodile/ Greninja( if Frogadier evolves)
Flying: Swellow/Talonflame( again if Fletchinder evolves)
Fighting: Infernape ( Especially after Ash vs Paul League battle)
Dragon: Goodra (it's a shame he left)
Poison: Muk

Guys, you all forgot that krookodile is also a Ground so if you think it is the strongest dark so I think you need to choose it as a strongest Ground too
Or maybe you think it is not stronger than Gliscor when it come to Ground

Guys, you all forgot that krookodile is also a Ground so if you think it is the strongest dark so I think you need to choose it as a strongest Ground too

No, they did not "forget" that Krookodile is a Ground type, they just think there are stronger Ground types than Krookodile. That's the thing with Pokemon that are dual-typing.

Take Infernape. It's Fire/Fighting. It seems to not be considered the strongest of Ash's fire types, but it's certainly considered his strongest Fighting type.

No, they did not "forget" that Krookodile is a Ground type, they just think there are stronger Ground types than Krookodile. That's the thing with Pokemon that are dual-typing.

Take Infernape. It's Fire/Fighting. It seems to not be considered the strongest of Ash's fire types, but it's certainly considered his strongest Fighting type.
So As i Said, Or maybe you think it is not stronger than Gliscor when it come to Ground

Thanks for answerning me too

So As i Said, Or maybe you think it is not stronger than Gliscor when it come to Ground

Thanks for answerning me too

Then, no offense, there was really no need to accuse people of "forgetting" in the first place. You basically answered your own claim. ^^;

Extensive list coming atcha'!

Normal: Snorlax.
Battle performances against Gary, Harrison, and Greta just speak for themselves.

Fighting: Infernape.
Hawlucha ain't quite there yet.

Flying: Staraptor.
Close Combat gives him the slight edge over Talonflame, not to mention that Talonflame has Flame Body instead of Gale Wings which would have been its one perk over the Sinnoh bird.

Poison: Bulbasaur.
With the rarely used Muk as the only other choice, this really wasn't that hard to pick.

Ground: Krookodile.
The only thing worth watching in that godawful Unova League was this guy's Aerial Ace finisher. Trust me on that.

Rock: Boldore.
Discounting Larvitar. it's unfortunately the only choice. Unfortunately, because it's not that great to begin with.

Bug: Heracross.
Sleep Talk was a really nice surprise to see during his Sinnoh League tenure, especially when it resulted in Darkrai getting a face full of Megahorn.

Ghost: N/A.
He never did catch Haunter and has yet to catch a Ghost type.

Steel: N/A.
He has yet to catch a Steel type.

Fire: Charizard.
Do I even need to explain myself? Infernape's good but Charizard has never needed Blaze.

Water: Greninja.
Hands down.

Grass: Sceptile.
He defeated the Darkrai that griefed so many Pokemon in the Sinnoh League, how could I not choose him for this?

Electric: Pikachu.
Even if Ash had any other Electric types, Pikachu would still be on this list...

Psychic: N/A.
He has yet to catch a Psychic type.

Ice: Glalie.
Performed admirably after evolving in the Hoenn League.

Dragon: Goodra.
Even with Draco Meteor, Gible can't compare with Goodra. Obviously Ash's only psuedo-legendary would make it on here, it's much better than any Noivern they can try to squeeze out of Noibat.

Dark: Krookodile.
I know I already put him on this list, but screw it. Scraggy simply doesn't deserve to be here.

Fairy: N/A.
He has yet to catch a Fairy type.

Extensive list coming atcha'!

Normal: Snorlax.
Battle performances against Gary, Harrison, and Greta just speak for themselves.

Fighting: Infernape.
Hawlucha ain't quite there yet.

Flying: Staraptor.
Close Combat gives him the slight edge over Talonflame, not to mention that Talonflame has Flame Body instead of Gale Wings which would have been its one perk over the Sinnoh bird.

Poison: Bulbasaur.
With the rarely used Muk as the only other choice, this really wasn't that hard to pick.

Ground: Krookodile.
The only thing worth watching in that godawful Unova League was this guy's Aerial Ace finisher. Trust me on that.

Rock: Boldore.
Discounting Larvitar. it's unfortunately the only choice. Unfortunately, because it's not that great to begin with.

Bug: Heracross.
Sleep Talk was a really nice surprise to see during his Sinnoh League tenure, especially when it resulted in Darkrai getting a face full of Megahorn.

Ghost: N/A.
He never did catch Haunter and has yet to catch a Ghost type.

Steel: N/A.
He has yet to catch a Steel type.

Fire: Charizard.
Do I even need to explain myself? Infernape's good but Charizard has never needed Blaze.

Water: Greninja.
Hands down.

Grass: Sceptile.
He defeated the Darkrai that griefed so many Pokemon in the Sinnoh League, how could I not choose him for this?

Electric: Pikachu.
Even if Ash had any other Electric types, Pikachu would still be on this list...

Psychic: N/A.
He has yet to catch a Psychic type.

Ice: Glalie.
Performed admirably after evolving in the Hoenn League.

Dragon: Goodra.
Even with Draco Meteor, Gible can't compare with Goodra. Obviously Ash's only psuedo-legendary would make it on here, it's much better than any Noivern they can try to squeeze out of Noibat.

Dark: Krookodile.
I know I already put him on this list, but screw it. Scraggy simply doesn't deserve to be here.

Fairy: N/A.
He has yet to catch a Fairy type.

I'll agree with what you have so far, but I could see Talonflame or Swellow overtake Starraptor for the Flying-Type spot, Talonflame for future developments and Swellow for a more solid performance record than Starraptor.

I'll agree with what you have so far, but I could see Talonflame or Swellow overtake Starraptor for the Flying-Type spot, Talonflame for future developments and Swellow for a more solid performance record than Starraptor.
It's basically my personal preferences coming though. His Talonflame's indeed very good and I have to agree with you on Swellow's record, but I just happen to like Staraptor more. I also still feel that Close Combat is a nice and unique move that sets the Sinnoh bird apart from the likes of Pidgeot and Unfezant. I'm a bit of a Noctowl fan for that reason but there's no way I could have justified putting it there thanks to its scarce usage.
I'm really just a sucker for breaking the mold. :p

Bug: Leavanny. I don't know if it's Heracross or Leavanny; I just went with it because Leavanny is one of my favorite Pokémon!
Dark: Greninja. Especially after the Ash-Greninja thing. However, Greninja does not really know a Dark-type move.
Dragon: Noivern. It is a fully-evolved Pokémon. And I believe it is stronger than Gible.
Electric: Pikachu. Need I explain? Besides, Ash doesn't own any other Electric-type Pokémon!
Fairy: (Ash did not catch one till now.)
Fire: Charizard. I kinda believe it to be more stronger than Infernape.
Fighting: Infernape. It is definitely stronger than Heracross, Pignite and Scraggy, or maybe Primeape. Hawlucha is still to develop, so he is currently weaker than Infernape.
Flying: Noivern. Honestly, I don't know why I am choosing him as the strongest Flying-type Pokémon! Maybe, because he is my favorite Flying-type Pokémon owned by Ash.
Ghost: (Ash did not catch one till now.)
Grass: Sceptile. It was able to defeat a really formidable legendary Pokémon like Darkrai.
Ground: Krookodile. His knowledge of Aerial Ace allows him to quick defeat Fighting, Bug and Grass-type Pokémon.
Ice: Glalie. It is quite strong and the only Ice-type Pokémon Ash has.
Normal: Snorlax. Its battle against Greta was awesome.
Poison: Bulbasaur. I do not think Muk is as strong as Bulbasaur.
Psychic: (Ash did not catch one till now.)
Rock: Boldore. Ash currently owns this Rock-type Pokémon, so this is kinda moot point here. Though, its battle against Clay showed that it is indeed quite strong.
Steel: (Ash did not catch one till now.)
Water: Oshawott Greninja. Especially after the Ash-Greninja thing.

Everything seems accurate so far, but without blaze, heracross>infernape, hell even with that special blaze the most he ever accompliched was beating Paul's electawire.

Which I wouldn't say is comparable to being strong enough to clash attacks with a legendary. When ashs other pokemon aside from pikachu were getting OHKOed for even attempting that ' cough torkaol'cough'.

If ashs is making another A team for Kalos as he did sinnoh, infernape can take take the fire slot. Since there's already 2 Charizards in the Kalos league at this point, and I doubt the writers will want to bring in a 3rd......

Grass - Sceptile
Fire - Charizard
Water - Greninja
Electric - Pikachu
Flying - Talonflame
Rock - Boldore
Ground - Gliscor
Normal - Snorelax
Fighting - Infernape
Ice - Glalie
Dragon - Noivern
Bug - Heracross
Poison - Muk
Dark - Krookodile

This is what I think is Ash's strongest of each type (without listing any pokemon twice).

• Bug: Hreacross by a landslide because the only other choice is Leavanny.
  • Dragon: Goodra because it is ash's only pseudo legendary and gible isn't good enough.
  • Ice: Glalie because there is no other choice.
  • Fighting: Infernape because all ash's other fighting types suck.
  • Fire: Charizard because in overall power and victories, its better than infernape.
  • Flying: either Swellow or Staraptor. I cant really decide.
  • Grass: Septile because the only other pokemon that comes close to septile is bulbasaur and also septile beat a darkrai.
  • Ghost: Ash has not caught one yet. HAUNTER DOES NOT COUNT!!!!!!
  • Ground: Krookrodile because the only other good ones are gible and gliscor.
  • Electric: Pikachu. No explanation needed.
  • Normal: Snorlax because it know fricking 6 moves.
  • Poison: muk because bulbasaur is the only other option.
  • Psychic: Ash has not caught one yet.
  • Rock: Boldore because there is no other choice.
  • Water: Greninja. Also no explanation needed.
  • Dark: Krookrodile again because his only other dark type is scraggy, and the winner of the two is obvious.
  • Steel: Ash has not caught one yet.
  • Fairy Ash has not caught one yet.

Fire: Charizard (duh)
Water: Greninja (duh)
Grass: Sceptile
Electric: Pikachu (duh)
Flying: Staraptor
Steel: none captured yet
Psychic: none captured yet
Dark:
Krookodile (but if Torracat evolves it will take this spot)
Ghost: none captured yet
Fairy: none captured yet
Ground:
Torterra
Rock: Lycanroc
Fighting: Infernape
Poison: Bulbasaur
Dragon: Gible (though Poipole takes the spot if it evolves)

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom