• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Ash's strongest regional teams

hhhhdmt

Reaction score
What do you think Ash's strongest regional teams are from strongest to weakest? Keep in mind that Orange Islands is part of Kanto and Battle frontier is not a seperate region but an extension of Hoenn. We are also looking at the current version of these pokemon (for example Donphan is a Johto pokemon, even if he evolved in Battle frontier). Released pokemon such as Butterfree, Pidgeot, Lapras, Goodra and Greninja do not count.

Mine:

1. Kanto (Charizard, Snorlax, Pikachu, Squirtle, Bulbasaur, Kingler, Tauros and Muk)

2. Sinnoh (Infernape, Buizel, Torterra, Gliscor, Staraptor, Gible)

3. Hoenn (Sceptile, Swellow, Torkoal, Corpish and Glaile)

4. Johto (Heracross, Donphan, Bayleef, Quilava, Noctowl and Tododile)

5. Kalos (Halucha, Noveirn, Talonflame)

6. Unova (Krokodile, Oshawatt, Snivy, Pignite, Leavanny, Palpitoad, Boldore, Scraggy, Unfezant)

If Goodra and Greninja were not released, then you could make an argument for Kalos being above Johto and even Hoenn for that matter.

Some would disagree with Kalos above Unova given that Kalos only has 3 pokemon there but i find all three of those pokemon to be more useful than anything Ash ever caught in Unova, barring Krookodile.

Your thoughts?

Mine:

1. Kalos (Halucha, Noveirn, Talonflame, Greninja, Goodra)

1. Sinnoh (Infernape, Buizel, Torterra, Gliscor, Staraptor, Gible)

1. Hoenn (Grovyle->Sceptile(after league), Swellow, Torkoal, Corpish and Glaile)

2. Kanto (Charizard, Snorlax, Pikachu, Squirtle, Bulbasaur, Kingler, Tauros and Muk)

2. Unova (Krokodile, Oshawatt, Snivy, Pignite, Leavanny, Palpitoad, Boldore, Scraggy, Unfezant)

3. Johto (Heracross, Donphan, Bayleef, Quilava, Noctowl and Tododile)

I count Goodra and Greninja in. They can come back, becuse they were not realeased but are in some form of training and can come back in future like Charizard did.

1 and 2 can be switchable in Kanto and Hoen case bacuse if you look at the team in Hoen Legue and that after the battle Frontier.

2. Kanto and Unova are on similar power level if you look at evolutions, movepool and battles.

Johto is 5 only if you count new pokemon but the problem is that older ones like pikachu were used mostly in battles as a continuity in that generation.

They were never used as a team of new pokemon with pikachu like in gen 3 and 4 and 5 and 6.
I counted only the new pokemon per generation and their battle usage, wins, movepools and chances.

Mine:

1. Kalos (Halucha, Noveirn, Talonflame, Greninja, Goodra)

1. Sinnoh (Infernape, Buizel, Torterra, Gliscor, Staraptor, Gible)

1. Hoenn (Grovyle->Sceptile(after league), Swellow, Torkoal, Corpish and Glaile)

2. Kanto (Charizard, Snorlax, Pikachu, Squirtle, Bulbasaur, Kingler, Tauros and Muk)

2. Unova (Krokodile, Oshawatt, Snivy, Pignite, Leavanny, Palpitoad, Boldore, Scraggy, Unfezant)

3. Johto (Heracross, Donphan, Bayleef, Quilava, Noctowl and Tododile)

I count Goodra and Greninja in. They can come back, becuse they were not realeased but are in some form of training and can come back in future like Charizard did.

1 and 2 can be switchable in Kanto and Hoen case bacuse if you look at the team in Hoen Legue and that after the battle Frontier.

2. Kanto and Unova are on similar power level if you look at evolutions, movepool and battles.

Johto is 5 only if you count new pokemon but the problem is that older ones like pikachu were used mostly in battles as a continuity in that generation.

They were never used as a team of new pokemon with pikachu like in gen 3 and 4 and 5 and 6.
I counted only the new pokemon per generation and their battle usage, wins, movepools and chances.

really interesting

If you are counting Greninja and Goodra, then you can certainly make a case for Kalos being #1.

The reason i rank Kanto slightly ahead of Hoenn is simple: Kanto has the extra pokemon like Kingler and Tauros that are trump cards for Ash

I guess if we had to compare, we can say

Charizard = Sceptiple (both fully evolved starters, both have defeated legendary pokemon)
Squirtle = Corpish
Snorlax > Glaile (Glaile is a powerhouse, Snorlax is too but has more wins than Glaile)

That leaves us with Swellow (who is very impressive) and Torkoal who is only average. That leaves Kanto with Pikachu, Bulbasaur, Kingler and Tauros. I'd say Kanto is ahead.

I can certainly see a case for Kalos and Sinnoh being tied for #1 along with Kanto though. (assuming we're counting the released pokemon)

I'm not listing out the Pokemon, but these are the teams I think were strongest to least, based on the league battles:

Sinnoh
Kalos
Hoenn
Unova
Johto
Kanto

I placed Kanto last as Charizard did not obey Ash, costing him his last battle. He could have maybe gone farther if he didn't have that issue or had used another Pokemon instead of Charizard.

Last edited:
1. Kalos - best team consisted of mons Ash works best with
2. Sinnoh - awesome balance
3. Hoenn - haven't seen much of Hoenn but it does look like a good group
4. Kanto - Charizard, Snorlax, and Pikachu.
5. Unova - a diverse team with wasted potential.
6. Johto - Aside from Heracross, I cannot remember much about the battles of others.

would be cool if someone would count all wins and looses of the pokemon and made seperated ones for gyms, league and rival battles.

The amount of battles per generation also would be nice to see.
In some we had more pokemon used in gym battles then in others.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom