• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Contest Battle of the fully-evolved frogs!

Who has the best design?
Greninja by a country mile. Quite honestly the best-designed Water-type starter there is, and I'm saying that as a devoted Swampert/Blastoise fan.

Who would win?
Err... my gut says Poliwrath strictly on the basis of type, but who knows? It's kind of a mishmash.

Who has the coolest typing?
Seismitoad. Water/Ground is simply the best type combination; anyone who disagrees is just being silly. Poliwrath and Greninja are duking it out for runner-up though - both uncommon type combos, both very interesting type combos.

Who do you like best?
Greninja. The best Water starter in a long time, and easily the most unique one. Poliwrath probably comes next, followed by Politoed.

Final Verdict: Greninja. This was never a fair fight. Greninja wins.

Toxicroak. He has the best typing, and I like his design.
But.....Greninja would almost certainly win in a battle.
That seems to be the common theme, doesn't it? Greninja and Toxicroak?

Toxicroak, he certainly has the most creative design out of the options. I like his typing too.

Who has the best design?
I do like Toxicroak's design quite a bit, but Greninja is a ninja.
Point goes to Greninja.

Who would win?
Based solely on type, I'd say either Poliwrath or Seismitoad. Greninja's weak to Poliwrath and Toxicroak while Seismitoad beats Toxicroak. Politoed's a non issue by this point, both of the other two have access to Water Absorb.
In a practical battle though, I'd honestly say Seismitoad. Greninja can ruin Poliwrath with Extrasensory, but that would leave the now Psychic type wide open to Toxicroak's Sucker Punch. Seismitoad then beats Toxicroak while using Water Absorb to negate Politoed's big advantage in Drizzle-boosted Water moves before wearing it down with Toxic and Drain Punch, maybe with Grass Knot too.
Point goes to Seismitoad.

Who has the coolest typing?
I'm going with Toxicroak on this. Poison/Fighting stops Fairy types from ruining its day, and all it takes to defend Toxicroak from the usual fast and frail Psychic type is a quick Sucker Punch.
Point goes to Toxicroak.

Who do you like best?
Thanks to Politoed's evil antics, I immediately gravitated towards the underappreciated relative Poliwrath. It might not be something I'd ever use but I do kinda like the ones who get shafted aside. Explains why I prefer Charizard Y over Charizard X.
Point goes to Poliwrath.

Final Verdict:
Poliwrath: 1
Politoed: 0
Toxicroak: 1
Seismitoad: 1
Greninja: 1
Yes, I played competitively in Gen V. I'll just wing it and choose Toxicroak on the basis of it being the most likely to kill me if I pick someone else.

Last edited:
Gonna be cliche and say Greninja. It's my favorite starter of all time, partly because it's really cool design-wise, and partly because it's a god in competitive play. I love Toxicroak almost as much, though, since Croagunk is one of those Pokemon that always makes me laugh.
I'll just wing it and choose Toxicroak on the basis of it being the most likely to kill me if I pick someone else.
I dunno, Greninja's a ninja, and the purpose of a ninja is to flip out and kill people...

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom