• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Battle Subway RMT

Alright, so I did a little testing with the new configuration. Other than getting my Gastrodon PP Stalled by a Mean Look Coffinghost, things went pretty well. Maybe I need to figure out a new set for Gastrodon, though. I'll update the first post with the new team! Dragonite has been MONEY. I wish he was Adamant, but he can set up on all kinds of stuff. Once he has a few boosts almost nothing can survive Outrage.

Scarf Max Attack Haxorus may sweep your team, so be careful. Try Toxic on Gastrodon.

Ahh...didn't know those were out there. I need to get a 5th gen Damage Calculator, do you think Outrage is a OHKO on 252 HP DNite after you factor in Multiscale? Toxic on Gastrodon is a good idea...maybe I could just get rid of Ice Beam?

Ahh...didn't know those were out there. I need to get a 5th gen Damage Calculator, do you think Outrage is a OHKO on 252 HP DNite after you factor in Multiscale? Toxic on Gastrodon is a good idea...maybe I could just get rid of Ice Beam?

I've heard of ScarfOrus being used just for that purpose. Has Ice Beam been useful?

If haxorus has mold breaker,it will just ignore multiscale and murder dragonite.

Good point Rutvik. I just searched through the list of Battle Subway Pokemon they have on Smogon, and I don't see any Scarf Haxorus. I do see one Jolly CB Haxorus though, which could be a problem.

Update. I've been testing out Ferrothorn in place of Gastrodon. It shares enough resists with Gastrodon, and is generally a punk to face. I am enjoying it so far, as it softens things up for DNite to come in and set up or kill them. Here is an updated roster:

555.png
Bag_Choice_Scarf_Sprite.png

BURST
Adamant nature (♂)
31/30/30/16/31/31
252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
~Superpower
~U-Turn
~Rock Slide
~Flare Blitz

I am testing out U-Turn instead of Earthquake because it's a great momentum move to have on a lead. It helps soften up bulky Pokemon that Darmanitan can't OHKO. Generally, if he can't wreck something, he's better off waiting to come back in later to clean up.

149.png
Bag_Lum_Berry_Sprite.png

31/31/29/x/31/31
252 HP / 6 Atk / 252 Spe
~Dragon Dance
~Roost
~Earthquake
~Outrage

Fire Punch without Attack investment is pretty weak, and once you get a couple of DDs you can 2HKO frail Steel types with Outrage anyway. I believe at +2 Outrage 3HKOs Bronzong, so if the Lum Berry is still intact, you can even come out on top against Zong most of the time. Earthquake has done fine so far, adding good coverage just like Fire Punch does, and the higher base power helps Dragonite get more kills (Fire and Electric types) without locking into Outrage.

598.png
Bag_Leftovers_Sprite.png

MULCH
Relaxed Nature (♀)
31/31/31/18/31/0
252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SpD
~Power Whip
~Gyro Ball
~Thunder Wave
~Leech Seed

Ahh...the ubiquitous metal plant. Not having to use slots on entry hazards lets my Ferrothorn use both of her great STAB moves, as well as a duo of support moves. General protocol is Leech Seed and Paralyze anything that doesn't immediately threaten her. Then I can attack or switch to DNite to try and sweep. I have had to stall until Leech Seed sapped the enemy to death a few times, but I'd rather have that as an out than just be taking losses!

Only problem I have encountered so far is Quick Claw offensive Slowbro. However, I wouldn't have lost if Power Whip hadn't missed and Quick Claw hadn't activated multiple times. I'll just hope that was a fluke, and try to be more careful in the future. Slowking is a similar concern, but he uses the poor accuracy Focus Blast and is more vulnerable on the physical side.

Update. I've been testing out Ferrothorn in place of Gastrodon. It shares enough resists with Gastrodon, and is generally a punk to face. I am enjoying it so far, as it softens things up for DNite to come in and set up or kill them. Here is an updated roster:

555.png

BURST
Adamant nature (♂)
31/30/30/16/31/31
252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
~Superpower
~U-Turn
~Rock Slide
~Flare Blitz

I am testing out U-Turn instead of Earthquake because it's a great momentum move to have on a lead. It helps soften up bulky Pokemon that Darmanitan can't OHKO. Generally, if he can't wreck something, he's better off waiting to come back in later to clean up.

149.png
Bag_Lum_Berry_Sprite.png

31/31/29/x/31/31
252 HP / 6 Atk / 252 Spe
~Dragon Dance
~Roost
~Earthquake
~Outrage

Fire Punch without Attack investment is pretty weak, and once you get a couple of DDs you can 2HKO frail Steel types with Outrage anyway. I believe at +2 Outrage 3HKOs Bronzong, so if the Lum Berry is still intact, you can even come out on top against Zong most of the time. Earthquake has done fine so far, adding good coverage just like Fire Punch does, and the higher base power helps Dragonite get more kills (Fire and Electric types) without locking into Outrage.

598.png
Bag_Leftovers_Sprite.png

MULCH
Relaxed Nature (♀)
31/31/31/18/31/0
252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SpD
~Power Whip
~Gyro Ball
~Thunder Wave
~Leech Seed

Ahh...the ubiquitous metal plant. Not having to use slots on entry hazards lets my Ferrothorn use both of her great STAB moves, as well as a duo of support moves. General protocol is Leech Seed and Paralyze anything that doesn't immediately threaten her. Then I can attack or switch to DNite to try and sweep. I have had to stall until Leech Seed sapped the enemy to death a few times, but I'd rather have that as an out than just be taking losses!

Only problem I have encountered so far is Quick Claw offensive Slowbro. However, I wouldn't have lost if Power Whip hadn't missed and Quick Claw hadn't activated multiple times. I'll just hope that was a fluke, and try to be more careful in the future. Slowking is a similar concern, but he uses the poor accuracy Focus Blast and is more vulnerable on the physical side.

I use a very similar team.
Ferrothorn@leftovers
std smogon distribution
Power whip
Leech seed
Protect
Spikes
Setting up spikes helps soften up targets and breaks sash and sturdy which annoy me a lot.

Chandelure@choice Scarf
Modest
252 spatk/252 speed
Flamethrower
Overheat
Energy ball
Shadow ball
Very fast very powerful.

Garchomp@Life orb
Naive
252 atk/252 speed
Swords dance
Outrage
Earthquake
Fire blast
Sweeper,does an excellent job.

I have problems with heatran though.I got to 47 wins till I lost due to a fire blast crit on chomp from heatran.

Haha, that's funny. Fighting the AI must be tough if it trolls you like that.

I can't really comment about your team because I don't understand this metagame well enough. As far as I can tell, there aren't any major problems with it.

@Rutvik

Well, if it works well enough for you also, maybe Fire + Dragon + Ferrothorn is a decent way to go at the Subway. Maybe you should use Hidden Power Ground or Fighting on your Chandelure to make sure you cover Heatran? In all honesty I should probably try Chandelure > Darm since I have 3 physical pokes ATM. I may give that a go later, although Sheer Force boosted Flare Blitz is pretty great, and Darm is faster than Chandelure.

@Heathcliff Huxtable

Thanks for stopping by the thread. The AI / inherent hax can get pretty annoying at times, but my goal is just to have a solid BP collecting squad, not necessarily break anyone's records for wins. I would like to get high enough to start getting those bonuses, though.

Last edited:
@Rutvik

Well, if it works well enough for you also, maybe Fire + Dragon + Ferrothorn is a decent way to go at the Subway. Maybe you should use Hidden Power Ground or Fighting on your Chandelure to make sure you cover Heatran? In all honesty I should probably try Chandelure > Darm since I have 3 physical pokes ATM. I may give that a go later, although Sheer Force boosted Flare Blitz is pretty great, and Darm is faster than Chandelure.

I think i will go with fighting.Unfortunately, my current chandy's hp is dark(pretty useless).
However, chandy gives me the fighting immunity and also has flash fire to absorb the fire attacks directed towards ferrothorn.They work pretty well together.
and be careful of trick room slowbros.They have defeated me twice.

I think i will go with fighting.Unfortunately, my current chandy's hp is dark(pretty useless).
However, chandy gives me the fighting immunity and also has flash fire to absorb the fire attacks directed towards ferrothorn.They work pretty well together.
and be careful of trick room slowbros.They have defeated me twice.

Yeah, I am also painfully aware of the Slowbro situation. Such an odd thing to struggle against. Against the Trick Room one, it would probably just depend on if Ferrothorn gets frozen by Blizzard. If not, he can wall the other attacks pretty well, and it only takes one Power Whip hitting to take care of business.

I'll try Chandelure out later. Here's what it'll be:

609.png

JUSTHANGIN
Modest (♀) | Flash Fire
31/31/23/28/26/31
254 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
~Overheat
~Shadow Ball
~Hidden Power Ground 59
~Energy Ball / Flamethrower

Specially based version of Darmanitan, more or less. The base power of the HP Ground is a bit disappointing, but it should still do a lot of damage to Heatran (It can OHKO 252 HP Heatran). There is a Focus Sash version that could cause some problems, but I could add an entry hazard to Ferrothorn if I needed to deal with that. Dragonite also has EQ anyway, and should be able to defeat basically all versions of Heatran as long as he is healthy.

Yeah, I am also painfully aware of the Slowbro situation. Such an odd thing to struggle against. Against the Trick Room one, it would probably just depend on if Ferrothorn gets frozen by Blizzard. If not, he can wall the other attacks pretty well, and it only takes one Power Whip hitting to take care of business.

I'll try Chandelure out later. Here's what it'll be:

609.png

JUSTHANGIN
Modest (♀) | Flash Fire
31/31/23/28/26/31
254 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
~Overheat
~Shadow Ball
~Hidden Power Ground 59
~Energy Ball / Flamethrower

Specially based version of Darmanitan, more or less. The base power of the HP Ground is a bit disappointing, but it should still do a lot of damage to Heatran (It can OHKO 252 HP Heatran). There is a Focus Sash version that could cause some problems, but I could add an entry hazard to Ferrothorn if I needed to deal with that. Dragonite also has EQ anyway, and should be able to defeat basically all versions of Heatran as long as he is healthy.

Nice one(and a cool name), I would suggest flame thrower (or fire blast).The Pokemon that energy ball hits hard like swampert are covered by ferro anyway. However flamethrower (or fire blast) are often more useful in a late game situation.

Probably wouldn't hurt to have Flamethrower, since Overheat could miss on occasion. That's the nice thing about Flare Blitz in comparison to Overheat, I suppose. I'll give it a try and see how it goes. Thanks for your help so far.

Oh, and oops. I did the damage calc against Heatran using Specs. Scarf numbers for HP Ground 59 are 75.6% - 89.1% against 252 HP Heatran and 90.1% - 106.2% for 6 HP Heatran.

Probably wouldn't hurt to have Flamethrower, since Overheat could miss on occasion. That's the nice thing about Flare Blitz in comparison to Overheat, I suppose. I'll give it a try and see how it goes. Thanks for your help so far.

Oh, and oops. I did the damage calc against Heatran using Specs. Scarf numbers for HP Ground 59 are 75.6% - 89.1% against 252 HP Heatran and 90.1% - 106.2% for 6 HP Heatran.

Does that heatran pack earth power?

Here are the Battle Subway Heatrans:

925 | Heatran | Modest | Focus Sash | Lava Plume | Earth Power | Flash Cannon | Dark Pulse | HP/SpA
945 | Heatran | Modest | White Herb | Overheat | Will-O-Wisp | Flash Cannon | Protect | HP/SpA
965 | Heatran | Modest | Shuca Berry | Sunny Day | Fire Blast | SolarBeam | Earth Power | HP/SpA
985 | Heatran | Timid | Choice Scarf | Magma Storm | Earth Power | Dragon Pulse | Flash Cannon | Spd/SpA

The White Herb and Shuca Berry Trans don't look like too much of a problem. The Focus Sash one looks like a little more of a problem, just because it can hit Chandelure and DNite both for neutral or SE damage. The Scarf one is a problem if my team is weakened, but depending on what move it uses, it is still beatable. If it locks itself into Dragon Pulse or Flash Cannon, Ferrothorn can stall it out. The main concern will be figuring out which Heatran it is, if and when I do see one.

Here are the Battle Subway Heatrans:

925 | Heatran | Modest | Focus Sash | Lava Plume | Earth Power | Flash Cannon | Dark Pulse | HP/SpA
945 | Heatran | Modest | White Herb | Overheat | Will-O-Wisp | Flash Cannon | Protect | HP/SpA
965 | Heatran | Modest | Shuca Berry | Sunny Day | Fire Blast | SolarBeam | Earth Power | HP/SpA
985 | Heatran | Timid | Choice Scarf | Magma Storm | Earth Power | Dragon Pulse | Flash Cannon | Spd/SpA

The White Herb and Shuca Berry Trans don't look like too much of a problem. The Focus Sash one looks like a little more of a problem, just because it can hit Chandelure and DNite both for neutral or SE damage. The Scarf one is a problem if my team is weakened, but depending on what move it uses, it is still beatable. If it locks itself into Dragon Pulse or Flash Cannon, Ferrothorn can stall it out. The main concern will be figuring out which Heatran it is, if and when I do see one.

Then i would recommend steath rock on ferrothorn.Maybe in place of t-wave.Sr will break the sash and take 12.5 % of tran's health.

Choice Scarf Magma Storm Heatran? I think that Nintendo needs to take a look at Smogon's Strategy Pokedex.

Choice Scarf Magma Storm Heatran? I think that Nintendo needs to take a look at Smogon's Strategy Pokedex.

Hmm, I don't know about that. Battle Subway would be even tougher then :p

So I don't think I like Chandelure much. I didn't even make it 5 battles before I lost. Overheat from Chandelure doesn't KO nearly as much stuff as Darmanitan's Flare Blitz (which is basically everything). My actual downfall was that Shadow Ball doesn't KO Drifblim (Umm what?). So I Shadow Ball'd for maybe 90% damage, Drifblim Shadow Ball against Chandy for good damage. Custap Berry activates and he kills Chandelure. Destiny Bond's my Ferrothorn to death. Then guess who comes in...TRICK ROOM SLOWKING xD

That's strange. I was underwhelmed. The particular Drifblim I am talking about is:

819 | Drifblim | Bold | Custap Berry | Shadow Ball | Thunderbolt | Hypnosis | Destiny Bond | Spd/SpD

It does have max SpD (I was afraid of that), so that could explain why it was tricky. If I did my calculation right on the Smogon calculator, my Scarf Chandelure's Shadow Ball did 79.8% - 94.3% to that Drifblim. Maybe you haven't run into this guy yet :/

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom