• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Battle Tree Difficulty Spike?

The thing about the battle tree is its for competitive players really, so if you're not someone who really builds your team competitively, you're probably not going to have a good time.
That's just the problem, though-post-game shouldn't be restricted to competitive players. (While the Battle Tree isn't the only thing, everything else is either much shorter or repeats itself endlessly, like the Elite Four)

(hope you don't mind me jumping on this)Oh, there's what I forgot-the fact that NPCs will have entire teams of legendaries in the Battle Royal (haven't seen any in the Battle Tree yet), and we're supposed to just go along with it, even with all the questions it raises. Why is this never mentioned by anyone else? Why aren't they more famous for such a feat? Why the heck can't we bring in our legendary? It doesn't make sense from a storyline or a gameplay perspective.
I was able to use legendaries in battle royale,I didn't try magernia but the tapu's all were eligible

I was able to use legendaries in battle royale,I didn't try magernia but the tapu's all were eligible
Oh, sorry, I wasn't quite clear-when I said "our legendary", I was meaning Solgaleo/Lunala, not the Tapus. (My strategy in the Battle Tree actually relies heavily on a Tapu :p)

I tried to compete in the Battle Tree, but didn't have the patience to face all the lag. I also don't have the patience to actually EV Train a team, because EV Training is such a long and tedious task. >_<

I have to agree that the lag is terrible in the Battle Tree.

I actually enjoy the difficulty of the Battle Tree. It made my 50 win streak in Super Singles feel like a massive accomplishment. Although it's mostly because I like to do all the stuff that goes into making a team for the Tree. I do really miss the Battle Frontier though, specifically Rental Battle facilities.

I also loved Rental Battles ;_; I practically lived in the Battle Factory - both Emerald and Platinum. I also enjoyed the Rental system in PWT as well. It's a fun way to enjoy competitive battles without having to spend time raising a team, even though the number of available pokemon is limited.

I hear everyone talk about lags,I have a new 3ds and the game never lagged at any point.

Might be to much for reg 3ds

Speaking of teams, there is a feature where you can share teams and upload them via QR codes. Supposedly, you can borrow other people's teams for the the Battle Royal and the Battle Tree. Has anyone tried this feature?
It will only become available when the Global Link site is updated next month. I am looking forward to it.

I am too lazy/busy to train my own team. Letting my minions around the world do the work sounds fun.

I hear everyone talk about lags,I have a new 3ds and the game never lagged at any point.

Might be to much for reg 3ds

I have a new 3DS XL and the lag is definitely there. Most notably at the start of double battles, the trainers stand still quite long before they throw their Poké Balls. It's noticable enough to be annoying imo, and definitely if it's present during every battle in a row in the Battle Tree :/

I have a new 3DS XL and the lag is definitely there. Most notably at the start of double battles, the trainers stand still quite long before they throw their Poké Balls. It's noticable enough to be annoying imo, and definitely if it's present during every battle in a row in the Battle Tree :/
I also recently got a 3DS, and I notice the lag at the start of doubles as well. There's also a bit of lag between when you choose your moves and when the game starts to execute them.

Idk I got my new 3ds when they first came out and I've never had lag in games I've heard lag,like monster hunter,smash bros, xenoblade.

Maybe I'm just lucky or the newer made 3ds's have less processing power

Idk I got my new 3ds when they first came out and I've never had lag in games I've heard lag,like monster hunter,smash bros, xenoblade.

Maybe I'm just lucky or the newer made 3ds's have less processing power

I received a new 3DS XL almost as soon as they came out. There is definite lag in the game, especially during double battles.

Did you attempt another double battle to double check you experience no lag at all?

I received a new 3DS XL almost as soon as they came out. There is definite lag in the game, especially during double battles.

Did you attempt another double battle to double check you experience no lag at all?
I've been playing every day,I haven't seen lag,my wife has a normal 3ds and her sun game lags quite a bit, especially when loading the game,and during battles at the tree or royale

I've been playing every day,I haven't seen lag,my wife has a normal 3ds and her sun game lags quite a bit, especially when loading the game,and during battles at the tree or royale
I'm not sure why you've gotten lucky. Most New 3DS XL users, including myself, all experience lag during double battles. The game seems to run decent enough for everything else.

If any of you want help with the Battle Tree and don't mind training one Pokemon up, get a Snow Warning Ninetales with Aurora Veil. I beat my way to Super Singles 50 streak first time using it, because Reflect + Light Screen in one turn is too much for the game to handle. This won't help those of you who don't want to use anything but your in-game team, but it's a suggestion to help those who are struggling and don't mind training an extra Pokemon up at least. Snow Warning helps break random Focus Sash holders too and my Ninetales had Encore which I could use against things using Protect or other non-damaging moves (it forces that annoying Stockpile Walrein NPC to switch out too).

Also not sure I'd call the Battle Royal "easy" either, since it's really cheap and the NPCs will often gang up on you continuously for no reason when their Pokemon could easily beat one of the other opponents on the field.
What EVs and nature is on your alolan Ninetails? Moveset and teammates?

What EVs and nature is on your alolan Ninetails? Moveset and teammates?

Sorry for the late reply, I haven't logged in lately. My Ninetales is Timid, 252 Sp.Atk and Speed EVs, Moonblast, Freeze-Dry, Aurora Veil and Encore. You could use Blizzard or Ice Beam over Freeze-Dry if you want though, I didn't find myself using Freeze-Dry all that often if I'm being honest.

I used it alongside Adamant Thick Club Alolan Marowak (Flare Blitz, Shadow Bone, Bonemerang and Will-o-Wisp) and Jolly Life Orb Strong Jaw Bruxish (Psychic Fangs, Crunch, Ice Fang and Aqua Jet). Since you're essentially getting a Reflect + Light Screen in one turn I imagine you can get away with using lots of other Pokemon though, because the effect of Aurora Veil is so powerful it can make up for lesser stats.

After Zeb suggested Aurora Veil, I decided to try out a team based on the move myself, although I missed looking at his partner Pokemon. So far, it works great - I'm 10 battles in to the Super Singles, Just after beating Cynthia.

So far, my team consists of Ninetales (with Aurora Veil, Blizzard, Moonblast and Freeze Dry), Slush Rush Sandslash (with Swords Dance, Icicle Crash, Iron Head, and Earthquake) and Tapu Fini (with Calm Mind, Moonblast, Grass Knot and Hydro Pump). I must say that Tapu Fini is also a great option: Misty Surge pretty much nullifies those stupid status haxs, and also blocks Rest from working as well.

Before the Bank update got released, I thought I would never progress past 7-10 battles in the Tree, although eventually I compiled a decent enough team to get me to at least gain access to super singles & doubles.

Before the update I was using Araquanid, Drampa & Tapu Koko, who all did great but I knew I could just completely conquer it once moving my old Pokémon over. So when the update came about I was overjoyed, the usual team I use that always seems to get me to 50+ battles (bearing in mind, they are quite commonly used Pokémon):

Singles:
Mega Kangaskhan - Fake Out, Power-Up Punch, Dizzy Punch & Earthquake
Protean Greninja (Expert Belt) - Scald, Ice Beam/Grass Knot, Dark Pulse & Extrasensory
Garchomp (Life Orb) - Swords Dance, Outrage, Earthquake & Iron Head

Doubles:
Mega Kangaskhan - Same moveset ^
Rotom-Wash (Leftovers) - Will-O-Wisp, Pain Split, Thunder/Volt Switch & Hydro Pump
Garchomp (Life Orb) - Same moveset ^
Dragonite (Weakness Policy & Multiscale) - Extremespeed, Dragon Dance, Dragon Claw & Fire Punch << You'd assume fairies would be an issue for this team but Garchomp's Iron Head does a ton of damage and mostly OHKO's.

These Pokémon also helped me rack up tons of BP in ORAS too, I think I still have over 800bp in that game lol. Point is, use Pokémon that have either good moveset variety (that cover weaknesses), a huuuge power outlet or something that can stall out for a bit.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom