• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Battle Tree Difficulty Spike?

Btw, does anyone know when Annabel appears? I never met her. Her line-up includes legendaries, so I assume she'd be available from 50+ streaks... perhaps?

I don't know if it changes in Super Doubles, but in Super Multis I battled her and Grimsley at battle 10 the other day.

My brother encountered her around 20 or 30 wins in Super Doubles. (I can't remember for sure, but I know neither of us has ever gotten to 50+ before) I think the trainers appear randomly rather than being in a set order.

Yup, I met her at the 10th battle in Super Doubles. She slaughtered my team with Latios, Raikou, Mega Alakazam, and something else I don't remember.

And how is it that when I try to use a Walrein, every NPC knows how to gang up on it before it even has a chance to stockpile, when I'm going up against one it always drags the battle on for 30 minutes - making me lose from Struggle? :/

I would very much appreciate any suggestions for teams that would guarantee no opposing Walreins appearing in the Battle Tree. Of course, I could just not use Dragons, but Mega Salamance has served me well until it got OHKO'd by Frost Breath from the damn walrus...

Never minded Stockpiling Walreins. My Mega Metagross can usually 2HKO them. More if they spam Rest, but not usually a problem. If they are giving you problems, you can always try using something with Taunt.

I would very much appreciate any suggestions for teams that would guarantee no opposing Walreins appearing in the Battle Tree. Of course, I could just not use Dragons, but Mega Salamance has served me well until it got OHKO'd by Frost Breath from the damn walrus...

use something with supereffective moves + high atk/spatk + band/specs. most battle tree pokemon have high investments in HP for some reason so keep that in mind not just for walrein but also for others.

My Life Orb Kartana is guaranteed a OHKO on all four Walrein sets using Leaf Blade. Just don't switch in on a Frost Breath. It dies easily to Ice attacks in general, so you'll need an Ice resist on your team.

Taunt is also an option as pointed out, but if the Walrein has Oblivious it won't work. If you want to give that thing a taste of its own medicine, you can try a Toxapex stall set with Scald/Toxic/Recover/Haze (in Singles).

My Life Orb Kartana is guaranteed a OHKO on all four Walrein sets using Leaf Blade. Just don't switch in on a Frost Breath. It dies easily to Ice attacks in general, so you'll need an Ice resist on your team.

Taunt is also an option as pointed out, but if the Walrein has Oblivious it won't work. If you want to give that thing a taste of its own medicine, you can try a Toxapex stall set with Scald/Toxic/Recover/Haze (in Singles).
it pretty much dies to any non-resisted special attack lol gotta love that base 39 sp def

*sigh* I just had another go at the Battle Tree - this time Super Doubles.

The final outcome: losing to a Cofagrigus with a Porygon-Z locked into Tri Attack because it was Scarfed. The infuriating part: the Porygon-Z knew Dark Pulse.

And there is a freaking hax Gardevoir carrying Z-Grudge in the tree, which made me lose Tapu Fini because it was locked into one move due to Specs and lost all PP - and forced to Struggle.

*sigh* I just had another go at the Battle Tree - this time Super Doubles.

The final outcome: losing to a Cofagrigus with a Porygon-Z locked into Tri Attack because it was Scarfed. The infuriating part: the Porygon-Z knew Dark Pulse.

And there is a freaking hax Gardevoir carrying Z-Grudge in the tree, which made me lose Tapu Fini because it was locked into one move due to Specs and lost all PP - and forced to Struggle.
oh no! im sorry about that..
i feel that though; i lost a battle to a focus sash + hypnosis gengar taking out my latios and forced into tapu lele which had to get the kill, but gengar has cursed body now, which sucks because i was scarfed.

I took a team of...
Alolan Ninetales (first)
Mimikyu (second)
Mega Metagross
Oven Rotom

to Super Doubles

and I lost to Mallow at the 30th battle when she sent out a Talonflame and a Mega Sceptile at the same time. I completely forgot about Mega Sceptile's Lightning Rod. When Talonflame KO'd Alolan Ninetales before it could do anything, I knew this was insta game over. Both Sceptile and Talonflame were hella fast and destroyed everyone.

On top of the hax, they bring seriously clever teams :/

EDIT: From personal experience, I feel that Light Clay is useless because half the time A-Ninetales gets OHKO'd to a Crobat or something before it can even setup Aurora Veil.

Last edited:
Mega Sceptile

Ooo, don't get me started. Mega Sceptile is half the reason I gave my Hydreigon a Choice Scarf and taught it Draco Meteor. That'll show the smug little... I'm half hoping to see one again just so my team can smash it into the ground. Currently on 40 wins in Super Doubles, but I don't remember having seen one since the last time I got wrecked.

Gonna cast my lot with all the other people vouching for Alola Ninetales -- particularly for set-up sweepers. If you like late game sweepers that need to boost their speed before they take off and you're afraid they can't take a hit before they properly set up, Alola Ninetales has your corner. Haven't found a more welcome partner for my Feraligatr yet, and it helped my Aegislash and Garchomp through Super Singles quite nicely.

Or you could uh. Y'know. Keep Alola Ninetales around for practically anything else that appreciates softened blows. Aurora Veil is awesome and there's nothing funnier than using Encore to punish Protect-users or Pokemon you know are going to start off the battle with status moves, like Steelix and Walrein.

Turns out Walrein doesn't like being stuck spamming Stockpile when it's on the receiving end of +2 Sacred Sword.

Or you could uh. Y'know. Keep Alola Ninetales around for practically anything else that appreciates softened blows. Aurora Veil is awesome and there's nothing funnier than using Encore to punish Protect-users or Pokemon you know are going to start off the battle with status moves, like Steelix and Walrein.

Turns out Walrein doesn't like being stuck spamming Stockpile when it's on the receiving end of +2 Sacred Sword.
Yeah, I saw that happen.

The problem is that none of that is possible when Alolan Ninetals gets OHKO'd before it can even do anything. I saw my Alolan Ninetales get OHKO'd to a Poison Cross from a Crobat, a Luster Cannon from whatever Steel-type happens to be faster/scarfed, and a Flare Blitz from an Arcanine that is certainly not slow.

Aftet I got rid of Light Clay and replaced it with Focus Sash, I was able to setup Aurora Veil far more often than before and I was able to survive far longer. I don't care if smogon or whatever says I'm stupid for not letting A-Ninetales hold Light Clay - if the Sash gives me more wins then I'm gonna go with that. The battles don't last for more than 5 turns most of the time, anyways.

Aftet I got rid of Light Clay and replaced it with Focus Sash, I was able to setup Aurora Veil far more often than before and I was able to survive far longer. I don't care if smogon or whatever says I'm stupid for not letting A-Ninetales hold Light Clay - if the Sash gives me more wins then I'm gonna go with that. The battles don't last for more than 5 turns most of the time, anyways.

Focus Sash is better for doubles because it's a faster paced format than singles, so the loss of turns from Light Clay are much less noticeable. Don't worry about whatever Smogon recommends, their format is completely different to the Battle Tree (and they focus mostly on singles) so use what you find works and tweak as you go.

^ This. At the end of the day, you should stick with what works best for you.

I had a lot of success with Light Clay in Super Singles. With a Timid Nature and maxed out Speed EVs, the only things that could dependably outpace my Ninetales were Choice Scarf users and Jolteon. I never had the misfortune to run into a Crobat in the Battle Tree, so you have my condolences there.

Funny you should mention Mallow, I managed to reach my highest Super Doubles streak yet last night and nearly lost to Mallow at 40 battles. The next battle was an absolute nightmare, Mega Salamence and an Empoleon sporting Blizzard against my Garchomp and Hydreigon. Back to the drawing board for me.

I somehow got bored of my other games, and decided to form a Doubles team for the Tree. I finally got up to 50 wins this time!

My team consisted of Tapu Fini, Mimikyu, Arcanine and Mega Lucario. I maxed HP and Sp. Attack on Tapu Fini, and Attack and Speed on the rest. I had a few surprise moments here and there, but I handled everything else quite well. The protection against status hacks is so nice... Now I understand why tons of competitive doubles teams use Fini right now.

I've been having a decent time in Super Multi pairing up my paraflinching Togekiss with Kiawe's Mega Kangaskhan. Since it works very well I haven't put any real thought into my second Pokemon and have been using on of my singles group. If I can find something that works well then this team should definitely carry me to Battle 50.

I took one pokemon that knew Toxic on my team in Super Doubles, and I got what I expected: opponents with the following team: Aggron, Nidoking, Bastiodon, and Tentacruel.

Wow, they must really hate getting poisoned. Time to raise a Salazzle.

I had the most luckiest streak in Super Singles. After getting the Lopunnite, I brought over my prized Lopunny from OR and teamed it up with Choice Band Staraptor (leader) and Mimikyu holding a Fairy Z (also knows Destiny Bond).

Leading with Staraptor, I spent most of the battles spamming Brave Bird and Close Combat. When in need, I brought out Mimikyu to take a hit and either attacked or used Destiny Bond. Lopunny dealt with the Steel and Electric-types.

I got to Red on my first try with these three, and even then it was a lucky matchup where all of his pokemon had weaknesses to mine.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom