• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Bulbagarden travelling companion poll

Who do you want Satoshi to travel with again?

• Misty

Votes: 21 43.8%
  • Brock

Votes: 23 47.9%
  • Tracey

Votes: 6 12.5%
  • May

Votes: 13 27.1%
  • Max

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • Dawn

Votes: 14 29.2%
  • Iris

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • Cilan

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Bonnie

Votes: 11 22.9%
  • Clemont

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • Serena

Votes: 14 29.2%
  • Souji

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Makoto

Votes: 1 2.1%

• Total voters
That's completely different. Pokemons don't have the agency the agency to do that.

Mewtwo managed to train the fully evolved Kanto Starters, and it did the thing better than Ash.
Also, the showcase organisation could have the same attitude as you, saying that 'men have no style/elegance' and things like that.

You also ignored my second point that Serena was happy about the present situation of the showcase, and didn't want to reform it. (Ash has argued about the manner of Pokémon training before, but Serena has shown no such quality about showcases)

Also, the showcase organisation could have the same attitude as you, saying that 'men have no style/elegance' and things like that.

When I have ever displayed such an attitude?

I ignored it because there is nothing to say about it since how content she is with contests performances has never been explored, especially in the gender context. Moving on.

Last edited:
I picked Hikari, Kasumi, and Kenji.

Kenji deserves more screentime and wasn't that bad of a character during his time on the show, which is why I chose him over the other male companions.

I'd rather Hikari carrying her own series though, so you can easily swap her out with Haruka.

toxic masculinity
Oh boy, I hope you were also joking when you said this...

Anyways, I imagine a certain Houen champion would probably dominate TryPokalons if men were allowed to participate.

My choices are still the same as in the other thread:

My personal choices for the three companions if I had to narrow it down would be: 1. Dento (this is personal bias of course, but also since I would love to see the sommelier concept fleshed out and his rivalry with Cabernet continue), 2. Misty (I feel out of all the pokemon female companions, she suffered from the weakest development in terms of storyline in OS so it could be a chance to rectify that), 3. Iris (for largely the same reasons as Misty, felt there was a lot of undelivered potential in her storyline and I like her character).

Also, there is nothing wrong with conventional femininity and I am glad for one that the Pokemon anime has embraced it in the past too, since in my childhood it was discouraged and often seen as disempowering which isn't the case. I do think my issue with how conventional femininity was portrayed in XY through the showcases was that it was only acceptable for females and excluded for boys, which is a pity since the pokemon anime isn't shy about having males embrace and explore conventional femininity before this. I felt that there was a very gendered divide in terms of interests in XY, which was something that really did not sit right with me. I don't think it's an issue that showcases don't involve battling - being a Pokemon Watcher/Breeder/Sommelier doesn't necessarily involve battling either (I mean, they can battle if they so wish to) - but I think it was hard to develop a role with no battling for a position as primary as the main female companion. It's easier to give that kind of role to the male companion, who tends to get less screentime than his other companions.

Did I say anything about Dawn? You're entitled to like happy-go-lucky cheerleading, I guess.

Your replies are always on point and insightful. Keep up the good work.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom