• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Bulbagarden travelling companion poll

Who do you want Satoshi to travel with again?

• Misty

Votes: 21 43.8%
  • Brock

Votes: 23 47.9%
  • Tracey

Votes: 6 12.5%
  • May

Votes: 13 27.1%
  • Max

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • Dawn

Votes: 14 29.2%
  • Iris

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • Cilan

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Bonnie

Votes: 11 22.9%
  • Clemont

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • Serena

Votes: 14 29.2%
  • Souji

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Makoto

Votes: 1 2.1%

• Total voters
Ah, the classic shitpost.

Unlike you, I am not a massive fanboy of any girl, and I did not start a thread to prove a point only to fail at it.

That wasn't a shitpost. Am I not allowed to say that I'm glad about something? I openly admit to disliking Serena.

Your post was a shitpost because you ignored my rebuttal to your initial claim about shipping. I liked Misty and Ash's banter and the complexity of Misty's feelings (Melody made her question why she was even following Ash). They still very much felt like 10 year olds, which is to say there was no romance.

Meh, I personally could care less if Misty has "dethroned" Serena or whatever. I still prefer the latter to the former, regardless of the result, mainly because I have so many things in common with the Kalosian girl and despised the Kantonian gal when I was still a seven-year-old child. I found her a really irritating jerk, which was compounded by the fact that I was a huge Ash fangirl (much bigger than how I am in these days, mind you), and as such became as annoyed as the titular character every time she criticized him for whatever thing.

Now I have a clearer image of her and don't hate her anymore, but I'm still mostly neutral toward her.

I think so, also if they are added you should probably add the Sun and Moon cast in my opinion.

A little unfair to add them though considering at this point we barely know anything about them, I would wait until after the Movie is released and we find out more about them to add them.

martianmister really knows which buttons to push to wind certain groups of bmgfers up. Adding Makoto and Souji into an already burning fire?... Congrats man, you're good.

In the end I plumped for the first 3. Kasumi because honestly? She's my fave and I would take an appearance from her in any context. Takeshi and Kenji actually do not rate amongst my top 3 (after Kasumi are (probably) Haruka and Citron/Eureka, not including any of the SM cast). Kenji barely had airtime and was largely wasted even during that. I feel like if he came back now, he'd have much more of a chance. Takeshi was around for so long, and it's now been so long since we last saw him, AND his existence was really SO dependent on Satoshi that I'm curious to know how their dynamic would be in the present day. (I can't see any way to justify bringing him back for a proper stint though, because his doctoring thing should be kinda all-consuming.)

RE: Haruka, Hikari and Serena, given their independent goals & rival setups, I would really hope as characters they'd have more self-respect than to become Satoshi's tag-alongs again.

I think so, also if they are added you should probably add the Sun and Moon cast in my opinion.
They're already part of the current cast.
martianmister really knows which buttons to push to wind certain groups of bmgfers up. Adding Makoto and Souji into an already burning fire?... Congrats man, you're good.
I'm pretty sure that seeing Makoto and Souji with zero votes isn't gonna make anyone mad.
RE: Haruka, Hikari and Serena, given their independent goals & rival setups, I would really hope as characters they'd have more self-respect than to become Satoshi's tag-alongs again.
That's...fine, I guess?

Kenji barely had airtime and was largely wasted even during that. I feel like if he came back now, he'd have much more of a chance. [...]

I'm curious as to why you chose Tracey, particularly since I was considering him myself due to the lack of episodes he ultimately received in comparison to all of the companions but in the end I decided not to, since I couldn't really consider a reason why he would leave the opportunity to work alongside his idol, Professor Oak, to go travelling with a boy he didn't have as much of a connection with (Tracey is, pre-SM at least, the only companion who interacted with another companion more than he did with Ash). Especially since you mentioned that part about some of the female companions having their goals in line for them, that's what I sort of consider for Tracey as well. I'm just interested to hear how you would consider Tracey to benefit development-wise by travelling with Ash again, since I do actually like his character and the chance to see him more would be cool - just couldn't conjure a good reason why he would travel with Ash again.

Actually, It would be great to see a lot of characters again- Brock (King, return, please!), Misty, Tracey, Gary, May, Max, Dawn (for me- All of them would be better main character than Ash). Of course I know they won't but dreaming is a beautiful thing, isn't It?

I can't believe it, but someone actually voted for Makoto and Souji!
Technically, Makoto and Souji are also in current/future cast, so by your logic, even they should be removed.
They aren't part of the current cast though. They are characters from past that we never see before.

I voted for Brock, Dawn and Bonnie. I honestly kind of miss Brock. I think it's due to a combination of Brock being around for so long and generally liking him. I think I'm one of the few people who didn't mind him being around during DP. He wouldn't rank high among favorite characters, but I still generally liked him. He isn't my favorite of the secondary male characters. That would probably be Clemont at this point, but I didn't really see how traveling with Ash would really benefit Clemont. His story ended pretty much with his Gym battle with Ash and the most fitting conclusion for him was to stay at the Lumiose Gym. While Brock is training to become a Pokemon Doctor, I could see him coming back just to travel with Ash since he has done that multiple times. It would be nice to see what kind of dynamic they'd have now as well.

As much as I like May, I didn't vote for her for the same kind of reason why I didn't vote for Clemont. I felt like her character benefited from leaving the group and finding out her own way to battle. While she wouldn't have that same problem now, I think she'd be better off traveling on her own instead of following Ash again. Dawn didn't leave in order to find her own battling style for Contests, or anything like that, so I think her returning wouldn't be out of character or go against her development. Plus, I'd love to see Contests again and it would provide a better ending note for her character than randomly going to Johto for another Wallace Cup.

Bonnie is kind of a strange choice for me considering that she's my least favorite of the XY cast, but I'd only want her to join again if she could officially become a trainer. I know that they aren't going to do that, but this is just a poll made for fun anyway. It would be interesting to see Bonnie officially become a trainer, figure out what kind of goal she'd want and catch different Pokemon. Admittedly, I think she could benefit more from being on her own, especially when I think she'd be perfect as a Pokemon Daycare worker or a Breeder, but I thought that seeing one of the younger characters becoming a trainer could provide some interesting developments. Given the option between seeing Max or Bonnie become a trainer, I went with Bonnie. They're both my least favorite characters from their respective cast, but Bonnie didn't bother me as much as Max did and Bonnie had more moments to shine, especially near the end of XY, so the idea of seeing her again as a trainer sounds a lot more appealing and interesting to me.

I had to Google Souji and Makoto. They're gonna be in a movie huh? seems too early to have them on the poll since it's not out yet...

anyway Dawn was the most interesting, so I think she would make the show the most interesting if she returned.

I'm curious as to why you chose Tracey, particularly since I was considering him myself due to the lack of episodes he ultimately received in comparison to all of the companions but in the end I decided not to, since I couldn't really consider a reason why he would leave the opportunity to work alongside his idol, Professor Oak, to go travelling with a boy he didn't have as much of a connection with (Tracey is, pre-SM at least, the only companion who interacted with another companion more than he did with Ash). Especially since you mentioned that part about some of the female companions having their goals in line for them, that's what I sort of consider for Tracey as well. I'm just interested to hear how you would consider Tracey to benefit development-wise by travelling with Ash again, since I do actually like his character and the chance to see him more would be cool - just couldn't conjure a good reason why he would travel with Ash again.
Haha, you've got me there - I can't think of a good in-universe reason either! (Same as Takeshi really...) (I guess I just feel more strongly that the girls shouldn't be hanging on Satoshi's coat-tails.) You know what might be a neat turn of tables though? Prof. O sending Kenji off on a research trip and Satoshi tagging along with him!
(Not that such a thing would ever happen.)

Haha, you've got me there - I can't think of a good in-universe reason either! (Same as Takeshi really...) (I guess I just feel more strongly that the girls shouldn't be hanging on Satoshi's coat-tails.) You know what might be a neat turn of tables though? Prof. O sending Kenji off on a research trip and Satoshi tagging along with him!
(Not that such a thing would ever happen.)

Heh, no worries - I was just curious since I would like to see Tracey in the anime once again, I enjoyed his passion and dedication when being a Pokemon Watcher but actually your idea around it sounds really interesting. It would be cool to see that role reversal for Ash to play the part of the companion for once, instead and see if this changes the dynamic or anything.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom