1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If your account is currently registered using an @aol.com, @comcast.net or @verizon.net email address, you should change this to another email address. These providers have been rejecting all emails from @bulbagarden.net email addresses, preventing user registrations, and thread/conversation notifications. If you have been impacted by this issue and are currently having trouble logging into your account, please contact us via the link at the bottom right hand of the forum home, and we'll try to sort things out for you as soon as possible.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Bulbagarden has launched a new public Discord server. Click Here!
    Dismiss Notice

Bulbagarden's Eighth Annual Christmas Contests - Winners and 12 Days Answers

Discussion in 'Yo! Christmas was 3 months Ago!' started by Archaic, Jan 7, 2017.

Voter count: 40
?

Did you enjoy our Christmas Contests?

Poll closed Jan 21, 2017.
  1. Yes!

38 vote(s)
    95.0%
  2. Eh, they were okay I guess... (please reply and let us know how we can improve!)

2 vote(s)
    5.0%
  3. No. (please reply and let us know how we can improve!)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Leggo

Leggo bonsoir je m'appelle lafayette

Blog Posts:
    Thank you BMGf for hosting and congratulations to the winners! [​IMG]

I'm surprised that I won this year after participating in the Christmas Contests for a few years now. The Christmas Contests are fun to participate in, yes.

2. Laspandrea

Laspandrea An /hero/

Blog Posts:
    I'm very excited; after the pause in 2015 (legs, arms and pelvis broken, does someone remember that?), I'm back this year and I finally got a prize.
    Honestly I didn't expect to win in the Scavenger Hunt, I have no luck in this kind of contest.

May I ask @Archaic how many points I have scored in this year's 12 Days of Christmas Trivia? I'm wondering if Ein is an accepted answer to question 11.

Two notes:
    1)I think that this Scavenger Hunt is much better than the last year's one. The riddles are more elaborated, but not more frustrating. The addition of Discord spiced the hunt up.
    2)This sounds crazy, but I missed a lot the "list all the X things that..." questions. I think that one or two questions of this kind must be included in the Trivia contest. It should be focused on searching on Bulbapedia and comparing things, and some questions, this year, requires exactly that. But many other questions are too straightforward.

3. Archaic

Archaic 黒い王様
    Webmaster

Blog Posts:
    We discussed this one, and were prepared to award it half marks. While it's clearly a relative, the information on Bulbapedia does make clear that there's no evolution in there. Yes, it's under the "evolution" heading on the page, but that's just because it's a standard page heading. The info under there makes it clear there's no actual evolution occurring.

I did do a quick keyword check to see if accepting this answer with full points would have made a difference to the final result. Only one other person had this answer, and neither of you would've been up to a perfect score with this being accepted, so it would make no difference in the end.

The loophole issue with Question 6 is separate and unrelated to the issue of naming with Question 7.

I'll write up more about this when I put the full explanation up for Question 6, but basically what happened there is that users came up with an answer that was valid by the wording of the question that we hadn't considered ourselves. That happens, from time to time. Occasionally, it creates situations where there are multiple answers that are correct, where there's multiple ways to fulfill the conditions the question specifies. For instance, in a previous year when we asked one of those "how can X learn TM Y" questions, someone specified a long and convoluted way that you could actually teach that TM to a Pokémon through use of glitches. It wasn't the intended answer (which was the glitch move named TMwhatevernumberitwas), but it still fulfilled the conditions set in the wording of the question, so it was accepted.

In the case of Question 7, We asked for what the card was, and it was a card named Tropical Breeze. The answer "Tropical Wind" is explicitly incorrect, because there was no card named (in English) Tropical Wind which released in 2001. While the card with the English name Tropical Breeze was later renamed to Tropical Wind, the renamed cards were not released until 2004.

If we asked "what was the strongest fighting move in Gen 1", the correct answer would indeed by "Hi Jump Kick" (which IIRC had a power of 85 in Gen 1, which should be higher than any other Fighting type attack of the time). While they are functionally the same move, there was no move named "High Jump Kick" prior to X & Y.

We don't give this info out. For starters, it's a pain to count when some people post their entries over 12 posts, and others put them all in 1. I will say we had less entries for this than we had for the Sun & Moon pre-order contest, but that's typical given that entries here had to be submitted on the forums while the other is via email only. The use of more straightforward questions this year was partially intended to encourage greater participation, and while it did result in an increased number of entries this year, it's not as significant a raise as I'd personally hoped.

You scored 11.5. Your answer for Question 11 would have been accepted to give you a leg-up if we needed to go beyond the perfect scores. While we agreed with you that Ein and Colress could have been considered counterparts, Ein isn't "tanned". A darker skin tone, yes, but that's a natural skin tone as opposed to a tan.[/QUOTE]

Mijzelffan likes this.
  4. PokePal15

PokePal15 Pokemon Trainer since '98

Blog Posts:
    Every year I enter the writing contest but I don't think I've ever won it, so I was certainly surprised (and very excited) to see that that has changed this year! Though I am hoping that there were at least a few other good entries this year and I didn't win by default.

Thanks so much for putting on such a wonderful contest (again)! I look forward to the next one!

Out of curiosity though, would it be okay to ask which entry I won for?

5. Archaic

Archaic 黒い王様
    Webmaster

Blog Posts:
    "What’s This?: A Mimikyu Christmas Tale" was your winning entry.

PokePal15 likes this.
  6. Mijzelffan

Mijzelffan memes

Blog Posts:
    That someone was actually me haha, I always end up interpreting at least one question wrong each year which is why I'm trying to get a good grip on how to read the questions correctly. Thanks for the feedback!

7. slenderestman

slenderestman New Member

Blog Posts:
    Wow, first time I finish a competition I win! (Two years ago I tried and failed miserably, lol) I only managed to finish the Scavenger Hunt a few days before deadline after a lot of dead ends. It was really fun though-- I'll definitely try again next year! Maybe I'll even manage to finish trivia next time!

8. Caciualcdlac

Caciualcdlac New Member

Blog Posts:
    So, there is another question that you consider I answered incorrectly? Which one is it?

9. phidari

phidari Nevertheless, she persisted.

Blog Posts:
    You should be able to tell just by reading the provided answers, no?

10. RazorBayleef4

RazorBayleef4 Bayleef used Razor Leaf!

Blog Posts:
    Wow, this is a nice surprise! So glad I didn't give up on the scavenger hunt as I also got stumped by riddle #9 for the longest time.

Congrats to all the other winners especially to Neon for winning the grand prize, and huge thanks to everyone behind the 2016 Christmas Contests! :D

11. Caciualcdlac

Caciualcdlac New Member

Blog Posts:
    Actually, no, I'm not. Only 13/15 answers are provided and my answers to the other 12 are the same, and I also consider I answered correctly to the other 2 (since I heard that Hula Skirt Bulbasaur in Pokemon Musical was an accepted answer as well).

12. TechSkylander1518

Blog Posts:
    I did better than I thought I would! Total flop on Coconut (I think I tried to figure out Hau's name origin...?) and I missed almost all of the alternate colors, though. :p

And, holy heck, I'm so mad at myself on the Nurse Joy one-I thought to search for "counterpart" on Bulbapedia and google "tanned counterpart Pokemon", but I never searched for tanned counterpart on Bulbapedia. Gah!

This was a really fun challenge! Thanks so much for putting it together!

13. Archaic

Archaic 黒い王様
    Webmaster

Blog Posts:
    Sorry for the delay everyone, I'll finish this up later this week (thank goodness for an Australian public holiday this Thursday).

TouyaShiro likes this.
  14. Threadmark: Feb 4th update
    Archaic

Archaic 黒い王様
    Webmaster

Blog Posts:
    So much for finishing up on the public holiday. Ugh.

Okay, so the TLDR version of why there hasn't been any progress to today is that there were some hang-ups on the funding side of things. Those issues have now been solved, and I'm finally able to sort out everything.

Since a few people are in different situations, I'm going to mention you all below, and make sure you're all aware of what's going on. I'm also going to send a private conversation to a few of you who I've not heard anything back from. I'm just recently heard from one person who thought they'd already replied, but who I never received anything from. Not sure if that's a server error, or if people were replying to the first message I sent (which wouldn't accept replies) instead of sending new ones. In any case, we'll get you all sorted ASAP.

Orders Complete:
    @Neon Borealis You're all sorted! Prize has already been ordered. Will let you know as soon as they actually give us an ETA on the delivery.

@The Archive
    @phidari
    @Jatayu09
    @Leggo
    @JustJeff
    Estimated delivery: Feb. 10, 2017

@cddb3000
    Estimated delivery: Feb. 17, 2017 - Feb. 24, 2017

@DPaul
    Estimated delivery: Feb. 13, 2017 - Feb. 20, 2017

@Mijzelffan
    Estimated delivery: 15 Feb. 2017 (Amazon are restocking the game on the 9th, and they'll ship it immediately then.)

@PLAYR
    Estimated delivery: 8 Feb. 2017 - 13 Feb. 2017

Issues to be resolved:
    @Laspandrea
    I've received your full address and prize choice. Have just sent you a private conversation to check one thing, and can immediately make your order once I've confirmed that.

@RazorBayleef4 I've received your full address and prize choice. I've just tried to make your order, and there's an issue with the 2nd item you wished to include. It won't let us send it to you, guess the marketplace seller doesn't so international shipping. Have sent you a private conversation, let us know what else you'd like.

@TouyaShiro I've received your full address and prize choice. I'll contact you again via private conversation to make arrangements for getting it to you.

@ewormPL I've received your full address and prize choice. Your first choice is currently unavailable within the contest budget. I'll send you a private conversation.

@slenderestman I've received your address and prize choice, but you've left out your name. We'll need that for Amazon.

@PokePal15 I've received your prize choice and it appears we can probably do it. Will need your full address including name.

@shadow (PokéWiki)
    @Chika
    @meew0
    @ItsDr4gonZ
    @Piscimancy
    I have NOT yet received your address or prize choice. I'll be sending you a private conversation with a reminder shortly after I finish this post.

Oh, and as for the question answers.... I'll try and do that later today, after I've handled all the prizes that can be sent out.

#34 Archaic, Feb 4, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
    TouyaShiro and Jatayu09 like this.
  15. Archaic

Archaic 黒い王様
    Webmaster

Blog Posts:
    6 and 12 are now up in the answers.

16. Caciualcdlac

Caciualcdlac New Member

Blog Posts:
    So, you said that even if you would have count Manaphy as a correct answer, I wouldn't be up to a perfect score. So, I'm very curious, what other question did I answer incorrectly?

17. Archaic

Archaic 黒い王様
    Webmaster

Blog Posts:
    I've just double-checked that, and it seems I made an error in data entry there. I had you down as a 0.5 for the Tropical Breeze question (which I noted for people who guessed Wind, or who put down Breeze with the wrong year), but you did get that one right. Must've inserted the number twice while putting in the 0.5 for Manaphy. This means your correct score was 11.5. While this means you might have been in the running for the prize if we'd counted Manaphy for full points.... we made a judges ruling that it didn't perfectly satisfy the question as worded. As with Laspandrea's answer of Ein for Question 11, you would've had priority if we'd had to go beyond just the perfect scores.

Caciualcdlac likes this.
  18. Threadmark: Updates for week beginning February 5th
    Archaic

Archaic 黒い王様
    Webmaster

Blog Posts:
    Will update this post with any additional updates for this week (which should basically just be your estimated delivery, once we've got your details). Be sure to check your conversations to follow up on any direct messages.

Orders complete:

@Laspandrea
    Estimated delivery: 8 Feb. 2017 - 13 Feb. 2017

19. JustJeff

JustJeff The Juiciest of Romances!

Blog Posts:
    Just wanted to confirm that I have received my prize! Other than that, nothin much~

20. DPaul

DPaul New Member

Blog Posts:
    So lucky :) I wonder how they ordered my prize.. I might order from there too XD