• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review BW005: Sanyou Gym! VS Baoppu, Hiyappu and Yanappu!!

Pikachu wil be back to it's "legendary beating" status at the end of Isshu. Then it will lose to a pre-evo a few episodes later in the next season. People should be used to it by now.

Just because Pikachu is a strong, experienced fighter does NOT mean it's going to win every battle. Even the strongest superheroes sometimes lose fights to weaker opponents.

So you expect Pikachu to lose every matches in Isshu?

If Ash doesn't learns from his mistakes here and his opponents keep using destroying,believe strategies,yes.Why not?

Watching a battle is not about earning "tokken wins" everytime guys.How many wins a pokemon have is the most useless number to determine how competent it is.Is not the result of the battle,is about the context of it.

People talk about the Gym Leaders' Pokémon being more experienced than Pikachu, but so is Pikachu when compared to Pokabu and Mijumaru. So I don't see why they must have Pikachu lost its first match. I get sick of it. It gives new audience the impression that Pikachu is weak. And they make it seems like that Pokabu has more HP than Pikachu.

Last edited:
People talk about the Gym Leaders' Pokémon being more experienced than Pikachu, but so is Pikachu when compared to Pokabu and Mijumaru. So I don't see why they must have Pikachu lost its first match. I get sick of it. It gives new audience the impression that Pikachu is weak. And they make it seems like that Pokabu has more HP than Pikachu.

What?HP?what on earth is that?First time in my live I hear about it.

You dont seem to get it,I didn't say that the reason that pikachu won was because the leaders have more experience than them.I say that experience is irrelevant.ALL gym leaders will have more experience than their challengers,so how come they get to beat them?

I see you seem fond on gameplay mechanics,lets use this analogy to make you understand.If, lets say, you win all your battles with a lock on+OHKO move like sheercold Smeargle easily.You do this for about 5 years.You have a lot of experience right now....You decide to enter the world tournament...but oh,turns out OHKO moves are banned!What to do now!You will have to make a completely new team from zero!

Just by putting one wall,your past experience become completely useless!

Now to your other argument,you say that this is giving people the idea that pikachu is weak...lets analyze what we know of pikachu from watching this series alone and acting as if the others dont exist.Pikachu from what we saw in his battle against Tsutarja is a very fast pokemon and powerful pokemon that depends greatly on its electric attacks. We also know from his fight against memepato that his non-electrical can be devastating too when used in the precise moment.
.And from his battle against Hyappu,we saw that destroying its balance can kill it easily since it is a glass canon.

Sounds like an accurate description of the pikachu we have known for years if you ask me.

And If you are so sick about the show not going were your awesome storytelling instincts say,then quit, don't worry, we wont rage about it.

So I don't see why they must have Pikachu lost its first match. I get sick of it. It gives new audience the impression that Pikachu is weak.

Do you even watch this show? That's not just you but to pretty much everybody who thinks is a crime that Pikachu lost. Thing is if you look at the episodes weekly, you realize that Pikachu isn't all that strong. Just in DP, his failures and his close matches far outweigh the matches where it just dominated an adversary. He's been shown to be stronger than the average pikachu, probably as strong as an evolved Raichu, but... that's it. Nothing more than that really. For the entire run of DP, most of the time, Pikachu was having a hard time in his battle and they took a lot out of him. He wasn't some almighty God.

There's also something that seems to be forgotten in this debate. Corn is only using Water Monkey. That's his main fighter, that's the pokémon he fights with. It's not a strech to imagine he knows that it's a pokemon that's weak against Grass and Electricity and that he divised a strategy to counter that...

Oh and... Exp, HP, PP, stats, etc. are best left in the games and not in the anime.

Watching this with subs made it SO much better. I finally found out what the "energy" Team Rocket wanted to find was. Supposedly, they're supposed to go to the sight of dreams and obtain some sort of energy that makes dreams into reality.

Do you even watch this show? That's not just you but to pretty much everybody who thinks is a crime that Pikachu lost. Thing is if you look at the episodes weekly, you realize that Pikachu isn't all that strong. Just in DP, his failures and his close matches far outweigh the matches where it just dominated an adversary. He's been shown to be stronger than the average pikachu, probably as strong as an evolved Raichu, but... that's it. Nothing more than that really. For the entire run of DP, most of the time, Pikachu was having a hard time in his battle and they took a lot out of him. He wasn't some almighty God.

There's also something that seems to be forgotten in this debate. Corn is only using Water Monkey. That's his main fighter, that's the pokémon he fights with. It's not a strech to imagine he knows that it's a pokemon that's weak against Grass and Electricity and that he divised a strategy to counter that...

Oh and... Exp, HP, PP, stats, etc. are best left in the games and not in the anime.

This,so much.More people need to realize this and stop seeing things behind the "Pikachu has been training for YEARS!"illusion.

As for the "type advantage" complaint.. how on earth does it matter whether Pikachu's moves do a lot of damage to Hiyappu or not when it never managed to connect with any of them. Did you even watch the battle?

Oh God, Mijumaru in this episode.

Hell, Mijumaru in any episode.

I hereby declare Mijumaru the best Pokemon ever.

Is there any reason for Iris' being a stalker of Satoshi? It's Zekrom thing again?

No, I have feeling that reason why she's stalking him is because she has a crush on him.

Why are people comparing two different characters to one another?

Other than the fact that Dent is a gym leader, he is nothing like Brock. Speaking of Dent, we still don't know why he would want to suddenly quit his profession as a gym leader to follow one of his challengers around.

The reason why I think Dent is following Ash is because of the fact Ash has pikachu, and Dent probaly thinks he's an expert and decides to travel with him to see if he can learn from ash.

Gible said:
Corn is only using Water Monkey. That's his main fighter, that's the pokémon he fights with. It's not a strech to imagine he knows that it's a pokemon that's weak against Grass and Electricity and that he divised a strategy to counter that...

You don't even have to imagine it. He outright states that he's trained his Hiyapp to be able to go up against pokemon who are strong against it.

Now, now...I know you dislike Pikachu (so do I to some extent), but I'd say Pikachu is a stronger than the average Raichu. It's just plot that makes its power fluctuate widely. Tieing with Latios, and taking out Regice ( the latter being cheap but w/e) then losing to Elekid or something. Pikachu is pretty damn strong, but when the writers want it to fail it does so wonderfully...which is usually at the start of a new region.

You don't even have to imagine it. He outright states that he's trained his Hiyapp to be able to go up against pokemon who are strong against it.

Figured as much...

Now, now...I know you dislike Pikachu (so do I to some extent), but I'd say Pikachu is a stronger than the average Raichu. It's just plot that makes its power fluctuate widely. Tieing with Latios, and taking out Regice ( the latter being cheap but w/e) then losing to Elekid or something. Pikachu is pretty damn strong, but when the writers want it to fail it does so wonderfully...which is usually at the start of a new region.

Again with Latios and Regice... basically, what you're saying is we should throw away Pikachu's power level in 650+ episodes just because in 2 (extremely badly written) episodes, it defeated/tied with a legendary pokemon (both times in totally unbelievable manner).

What makes the episode where Pikachu tied with Latios more representative of Pikachu's strenght than say Playing The Leveling Field where Pikachu lost to a gym leader's pokemon it also had a type advantage again. Oh yeah, it happened again 9 episodes later... Let's not even talk about his loses to Elekid, Onix, Magmortar, Luxray and all the matches where it couldn't do a whole lot but faint.

Also, it's really hypocritical to say on one hand that it's perfectly believable to have Pikachu defeat/tie with a Legendary pokemon despite being an unevolved pokemon and yet it's not ok for Hiyappu to do the same. Want to know what the difference between Pikachu tieing with Latios and Hiyappu defeating Pikachu is? In Hiyappu's case, its trainer had a strategy and didn't owe its win to crap writing.

It's not a question of not liking pikachu, it's a question of looking at this show in its entirety and realizing that Pikachu's normal level that's constant throughout the series is that it's strong, as strong or barely stronger than a Raichu, but not an invicible god that can kill things just by looking at them and is totally immune from losing.

Pikachu are frail. One wrong move on Ash's part with a clever trainer as an opponent and the tables can be turned against the beloved thunder mouse easily.

Besides, if Ash didn't get beaten at the start of every region to show he still has growing and learning to do then there wouldn't be much of a challenge in him just breezing through the gyms with six of his most powerful Pokémon.

Aside from the mascot thing, the reason Pikachu hasn't evolved is so they have an excuse for him to get beaten every now and then; even after his extensive experience.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom