• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Speculation Can and Will Regional Varients of Pokemon be Featured in Future Games including Remakes

Which Pokemon Should Receive Regional Varients in Future Games

• Total voters
Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
It's such a BRILLIANT Idea, having Different Variations of Existing Pokemon, that have Changed due to the Location they Live in, and as well as to Survive; Should these Regional Varients be Featured in Future Games, if So What Regions, and which Generation of Pokemon could REALLY Use Regional Varients?! I'd SURE LOVE to see a Bug/Dragon type Regional Varient of Flygon some day(EITHER that OR a Megavolution that is Bug/Dragon type, I N-E-E-D A Bug/Dragon type Pokemon, IF Not Flygon, since IT RESEMBLES A Bug)

Knowing game freak I think there won't be any new regional variants and that the alolan versions will become an afterthought that are difficult to obtain in-game, similarly to the treament they've given megas in sun and moon.

I think that we will see more regional variants in later games. It makes sense given all the various ways animals can evolve caused by geological barriers and evolution (Darwinian sense).

For example, there might be several Fish pokemon that got isolated in a cold lake and adopted the ice or fire types to adapt.

I'm not gonna mention which pokemon gen should have megas because I can see a lot of potential ideas (like say a Fire/Flying Rapidash, a Fairy-type Cinchino, a Fire/Electric Helioisk and a Bug/Dragon Flygon) that shouldn't get shot down because people hate the pokemon by association (thought I admit that they should not based their selection criteria on if it was lucky enough to be in R/B)

It fits too well with the franchise's focus on evolution to not continue it. Adapting should be a very real thing in other regions, not just Alola.

As for which, I think Johto and Hoenn have a very good amount of Pokemon that could either use a refresh to their design and/or a new type with more optimised stats. Sinnoh probably has a few too. I mentioned some of these in another thread the other day, but here's some examples.

Gen 2: Noctowl, Lanturn, Octillery, Sunflora, Stantler, Magcargo, Quagsire, Donphan, Corsola
Gen 3: Delcatty, Swalot, Whiscash, Mightyena, Chimecho, Masquerain

Noctowl could easily be made into a majestic snowy owl; Octillery into a poisonous blue-ringed octopus; Quagsire into a regenerating fire salamander; Whiscash into an electric catfish; Masquerain could stay a pond skater because maybe it didn't need to develop to fly in a certain area; Sunflora could become a literal sunflower by being part Fire and harnassing the power of the sun; Magcargo could get a type that isn't god awful for a defensive Pokemon with 30 Speed; Donphan as an armoured elephant has "make me something like Water or Steel" written all over it; Delcatty could become a Fairy and get a more extravagant design (it would need something like Fur Coat to make up for those horrific stats though); Lanturn could get a more Chinchou-like weird face and maybe some teeth to be more like a real angler fish; Corsola could easily be made into a variety of more interesting coral; Stantler could have literally anything done with it because no one seems to care about it all right now. And so on.

Part of me still wishes Fighting/Flying Dodrio happened, but the buffs they gave it in SM make up for it, I guess. And some like Venomoth, Arbok, Golduck, Dewgong, Weezing, Kingler, Seaking and Rapidash, I think they need to take a look at - even though a lot of people are very anti-Kanto lately (and it does bug me that none from outside Kanto got a variant) I still think there's more work that can be done with some Gen 1 mons too. So I don't think they should forget Gen 1 entirely when it comes to future variants.

While I would like all regions to benefit, I don't think Pokemon from Gen V onwards are in dire need of them. But I wouldn't say no to them if Game Freak has some interesting ideas to spruce some of the more forgotten ones up, like Swanna and Heatmor.

Regional variants of Pokémon is certainly something that should continue with the franchise. It perfectly mimics real life, as plenty of species have evolved and adapted differently than others because of their environment or other factors. In my opinion, this feature was a long time coming, and I believe it should continue, hopefully utilising Pokémon from other generations as well as Gen I.

If I do not get a mega Dragonite, then I would like to see a regional variation of Dragonite.

Regional variants of Pokémon is certainly something that should continue with the franchise. It perfectly mimics real life, as plenty of species have evolved and adapted differently than others because of their environment or other factors. In my opinion, this feature was a long time coming, and I believe it should continue, hopefully utilising Pokémon from other generations as well as Gen I.

If I do not get a mega Dragonite, then I would like to see a regional variation of Dragonite.

I would like to see a regional variation of Dragonite.[/QUOTE]
I'd want to see a Regional Varient Of Dragonite that is Fairy/Dragon type, with the Primary Type Being Fairy, and Secondary Typing is Dragon, since It could help to Protect itself from Fairy-type Pokemon, AND Other Dragon-types

ice/flying type noctowl? with new ability, maybe immunity against Super Effective hits during hail?
ground/psychic typed donphan with dazzling?
octilerry? water/fairy?
Sunflora? grass/fire?

I think from 7 to 15 from every region could be enough, we also want megas to be done well and often.

Lanturn could get a more Chinchou-like weird face and maybe some teeth to be more like a real angler fish
I've actually had this idea before, and they could be Dark/Electric type.
Delcatty could become a Fairy and get a more extravagant design (it would need something like Fur Coat to make up for those horrific stats though)
Since variants always have the same base stat total as the original, I think actual Delcatty needs a bigger buff than the +20 base speed it got this gen. Anyone know a good way to make the most of 400 BST? The only thing I can think of is drastically reducing special attack, a lá Mega Beedrill.

I've actually had this idea before, and they could be Dark/Electric type.

I was thinking something similar too, that way it could use Strong Jaw Thunder Fang and Crunch. :D

Since variants always have the same base stat total as the original, I think actual Delcatty needs a bigger buff than the +20 base speed it got this gen. Anyone know a good way to make the most of 400 BST? The only thing I can think of is drastically reducing special attack, a lá Mega Beedrill.

You could always decrease Sp.Atk - that's what they did with Alolan Sandslash. It'd still need a good ability on top of that though, its current ones aren't doing much for it.

You could always decrease Sp.Atk - that's what they did with Alolan Sandslash. It'd still need a good ability on top of that though, its current ones aren't doing much for it.
When I was little, I came up with an idea for a counterpart to Skitty, which was a Ghost-type with an ability that made all of its moves Ghost-type. I guess this theoretical Pokémon's other abilities would be Oblivious, and what would be a good counterpart to Wonder Skin?

So... A regional Varient of a Legendary? I think that Phione needs something to shine since nobody would put a Mythical with Ditto unless they knew of Phione, if so why would you breed one? It’s worse. A regional Variant of Phione with unique stats or ability or even moves or typing to make one have a REASON to breed it is what I am thinking of.

So... A regional Varient of a Legendary? I think that Phione needs something to shine since nobody would put a Mythical with Ditto unless they knew of Phione, if so why would you breed one? It’s worse. A regional Variant of Phione with unique stats or ability or even moves or typing to make one have a REASON to breed it is what I am thinking of.

The problem with that is that aquatic pokemon might be too omnipresent to adapt to most places that would need. my fish example specified isolation in a closed ecosystem where migration is impossible because of that.

The other problem is that Phione can only be obtained from breeding a Manaphy, a Mythical pokemon or Phione themselves. That would mean they have to be found in the wild first and that Manaphy would also need an regional variant as well (On a side note Phione's stats fall below the threshold of what I consider a Legendary pokemon, even to higher extent to the 10 point difference of the fuzzy cases of the Guardian Deities and Ultra Beasts. Though they are high enough extreme specialization might make it good)

The problem with that is that aquatic pokemon might be too omnipresent to adapt to most places that would need. my fish example specified isolation in a closed ecosystem where migration is impossible because of that.

The other problem is that Phione can only be obtained from breeding a Manaphy, a Mythical pokemon or Phione themselves. That would mean they have to be found in the wild first and that Manaphy would also need an regional variant as well (On a side note Phione's stats fall below the threshold of what I consider a Legendary pokemon, even to higher extent to the 10 point difference of the fuzzy cases of the Guardian Deities and Ultra Beasts. Though they are high enough extreme specialization might make it good)
Well, redistribute Phione’s stats and make it available in the wild. Even add some stats to it if needed.
Phione is the Sea Drifter Pokemon. I think that it might be unable to drift in the sea because it was released into lakes and streams where large populations are now. They adapted the additional Flying type to be able to drift in the skies. Or maybe they were introduced into an underground lake and adapted the Electric type to be able to see in the dark. Or they were added to fish tanks and became capable of growing and shrinking to fit space and obtained the Normal type as well.

Last edited:
@PkmnTrainerV In TheJWittz's video where he speculates about Alolan forms, one of the ones he suggests is a Dragon/Fighting Dragonite based on Maui.

My first ever Shiny was a shiny Dragonair on a browser game which hatched at Christmas time... and I just everstone it since I hate Dragonair>Dragonite transition, and hate the shiny transition with all passion.

Dragonite just lost Dragonair' mystic charm which this a-form caught neatly.

Can there be a "please god no" option?

Alola forms were a nice unique thing for Alola, but I'd rather GF didn't complicate breeding Pokemon more than they already have.

I had an idea today about this topic!

What if they made a new Kanto game (be it a sequel to SM that takes place in Kanto, or whatever. Lillie traveled to Kanto, Red and Blue were in Alola, etc.), and in this new Kanto game (set like 15-20 years after the originals obviously)...

...what if they added in "Kanto Regional Forms" for Pokemon found in Alola?? :D

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom