• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Can I just say the new animation is superb?

It's fourteen episodes into the SM series and I am afraid to say that I am still not used to the new atrocious designs of Ash, Jessie and James (and recurring characters like Professor Oak), which is pretty much a shame since that makes enjoying the anime a little difficult now. I hope the animators realize what they did and restore the old character's former glory. :cry:(n):cry:

Thankfully, characters like Delia and Matori and the Pokémon from the previous generations are still appealing to the eye.

Pretty much. 15 episodes in now, been trying really hard getting used to Ash's new design accept it for what it is... but I can't. The design is just so inherently bad. I struggle to even think that Ash looks fine in most of best animators drawings too.

And as you said, it's hard to enjoy watching a show when you dislike the design of the main character. That's the character that is on screen for the majority of an episodes' duration. That's what you look at.

The new main cast may be a bit forgettable, the series plot might at times be slow and boring... but Ash's design will forever be the main issue of SM for me.

I'm still scratching my head over why they bothered with the redesigns when the Alola characters stick close to the game art.

I'm fairly neutral on Ash's redesign (hate how they got rid of his gloves though), but I'm a major non-fan of what they did to J&J.

I would love to pick the brains of the animators of this show. Seriously. Being uber talented and have to draw garbage like what they've done to this series has to be demoralizing.

For me, the new designs for the original characters is like seeing your favorite actor/actress get some bad plastic surgery done as they age. Still love them in any case, and just happy they continue to "work". And a lot of the actual animation is quite good, honestly. I think there's only been one or two episodes so far where the animation seemed stiff.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom