• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Bulbapedia Candidates for merging/moving/mainspacing/splitting discussion thread

Over the course of our work on the wiki, many pages have built up in the candidates for merging, moving, mainspacing, and splitting categories. Our goal with this thread is to discuss how the pages in these categories should be handled, and to hopefully knock them all out so that when new ones happen, we can handle them immediately. Since trying to discuss all of them at once would be a daunting and inefficient task, I will post three pages (or groups of extremely similar pages) and what is suggested we do with them.

Please only discuss what is currently on the table; however, please also comment even if you are unfamiliar with the subject (maybe read the pages first to give an educated opinion)

This first post will be updated every Saturday with one page from the five categories (if available): deletion, merging, mainspacing, moving, and splitting. Each Saturday, their fate will be determined and a new five will make there way to the discussion table.

Topics of 2/15/14, discussion starts at post 241; (Deletion is replaced this week with candidate for moving):

Merging) Ken (PMC) and Mary (PMC) into Pokémon Mystery Club

Mainspacing) User:Relicant/List of Pokémon with shared species names

Moving) Kiseki to KISEKI

Moving 2) ONE to ONE (Japanese song)

Splitting) Wobbuffet Festival crashers into Tsuyoshi, Tetsuya, and Hisashi

Last edited:
Well, in regards to Missingno, I'd say MissingNo. is as close as we'll ever get to an 'official name' for it after what Nintendo called it, other than by calling it in all caps like how the games did. But that's really all I can say about it.

1) Merging Poké Spot Monitor with Poké Spot
-Reason:poké Spot Monitor being a small stubby article
Less bothered by this than the other two, but it is a very short article that I don't see getting any longer, and Poké Spot isn't that long either. A merge would be good for both.

2) Splitting "Wonder Launcher Items" off of Battle item.
-The wonder launcher items are only able to be used during that type of battle
Part of the reason I nominated this was because if it were split, we could also include Wonder Launcher Revives and Potions as well, which we should.

3) Moving Missingno. to "MissingNo."
-A debate on the talk page between what is considered "official" or not.
Once each page is decided on, it will be replaced.
I'm all for this one. My reasons are on the talk page (but here they are anyway). Primarily because in the only official statement we have received, the "N" is always capitalized, even though there were inconsistencies in other parts of its name. Also, MissingNo. is clearly "Missing Number" abbreviated, so should reflect that. From my experience, "MissingNo." is more common in the fandom, and any examples of "Missingno." generally stem from our Bulbapedia page anyway (but this is a very subjective statement, and others may believe the opposite).

Part of the reason I nominated this was because if it were split, we could also include Wonder Launcher Revives and Potions as well, which we should.
Just wondering, what position does that put the Wonder Launcher page at? Doesn't it make it redundant to have a separate page of Wonder Launcher items and have that list in the Wonder Launcher page? Wouldn't it be more sensible to split it from the battle items, and merge it with Wonder Launcher since the "available items" section isn't very descriptive, and you can incorporate the point cost into the table for the one at the Battle items? The table at the Wonder Launcher page currently redirects to the Battle Item page anyway which creates unnecessary loading and clicking if you just had the items right there.

Just wondering, what position does that put the Wonder Launcher page at? Doesn't it make it redundant to have a separate page of Wonder Launcher items and have that list in the Wonder Launcher page? Wouldn't it be more sensible to split it from the battle items, and merge it with Wonder Launcher since the "available items" section isn't very descriptive, and you can incorporate the point cost into the table for the one at the Battle items? The table at the Wonder Launcher page currently redirects to the Battle Item page anyway which creates unnecessary loading and clicking if you just had the items right there.
Well, the theoretical page would use full item templates, like they do on the Battle item page, whereas the list on Wonder Launcher would just be a quick reference of which items there are and their costs. Wonder Launch would of course have a main article link in that section though.

3) Moving Missingno. to "MissingNo."
-A debate on the talk page between what is considered "official" or not.

I disagree completely. There is no official capitalization for Missingno. It's true Nintendo once referred to it as "MissingNo", but in that same email/whatever it is, they also referred to it as "MissingNO". Different capitalization. And both times, they left the period out of its name, meaning they misspelled it. It contradicts the in-game spelling, and so we shouldn't go by said contradictions. Unless Nintendo explicitly states otherwise, Missingno.'s name is spelled "Missingno.". Compare with Ho-Oh, as at first, its name was in all caps in the games, so we thought it would be "Ho-oh". Then official materials displayed its name as "Ho-Oh". This is not the same case, as the "official materials" we're going off here not only has two different ways of capitalizing the name, but misspells them both. Honestly, I am at a loss as to why this is even still considered an issue.

With a mustache.

I disagree completely. There is no official capitalization for Missingno. It's true Nintendo once referred to it as "MissingNo", but in that same email/whatever it is, they also referred to it as "MissingNO". Different capitalization. And both times, they left the period out of its name, meaning they misspelled it. It contradicts the in-game spelling, and so we shouldn't go by said contradictions. Unless Nintendo explicitly states otherwise, Missingno.'s name is spelled "Missingno.". Compare with Ho-Oh, as at first, its name was in all caps in the games, so we thought it would be "Ho-oh". Then official materials displayed its name as "Ho-Oh". This is not the same case, as the "official materials" we're going off here not only has two different ways of capitalizing the name, but misspells them both. Honestly, I am at a loss as to why this is even still considered an issue.

Thing is, the "N" is always capitalized. Yes, they omit the period, which is part of its name, but they capitalize the "N". Are there any sources indicating that it has a lowercase "n" in its name. No, absolutely none. But there is one where the "N" is capitalized. Honestly, we could treat this like the other glitch Pokémon and just capitalize the same way the game does, but I think Missingno. is a special case due to being defined text rather than just other game data forced into a name.

I am for numbers 1) and 3). The monitor article is really small and MissingNo should be with a capital N. Wonder Launcher, I'm not sure of.

I am on board with:
1 - Spot monitor will look good as just a section instead, merging it will be a good idea
2 - Either WL battle items should have its own article or it should be merged with the Wonder Launcher article itself. It's rather suitable there.
3 - I've no idea whether it should be capitalized or not.

walking into this a little blindly, but wouldnt "Missingno." officially be "MISSINGNO." given there is no official version, because it isnt official?

Well, we were talking about this statement, the only official mention of MissingNo., or even a glitch Pokémon at all. Problem is that it omits the period, is inconsistent in the casing of the "O", and the information it provides is generally wrong. It is not encounter via the "Fight Safari Zone Pokémon trick" (but it uses the same principle as part of it); releasing Missingno. does not fix the graphics - the actual way to fix these issues is to view the Pokédex data or stat page of a hybrid glitch Pokémon or official Pokémon.

that isnt what i was referring to.
Missingno's first appearance is essentially when you find it using the Old Man Glitch. there-in, it would instantly be regarded as "MISSINGNO." as that is what it was debuted as. it is a glitch located in one game. it has no official spelling because it is not an official Pokemon. so therefor its technically official spelling would be as it is in the games. ie: all caps.

that isnt what i was referring to.
Missingno's first appearance is essentially when you find it using the Old Man Glitch. there-in, it would instantly be regarded as "MISSINGNO." as that is what it was debuted as. it is a glitch located in one game. it has no official spelling because it is not an official Pokemon. so therefor its technically official spelling would be as it is in the games. ie: all caps.
I don't think this is such a bad option. All other glitch Pokémon are in the case they are in-game, so Missingno. should too. The reason this is an exception is because it was refereed to in that statement without a capital "issing".

I disagree that we go with what things debut as though. In fact, we do quite the opposite - we go by what they were named most recently. For example, Bell Tower, Cerulean Cave, etc. Even Pokémon, who were uppercase in the Generation I games too (which would be their first appearance), but have appeared in normal case outside of the games (TCG, random merchandise, BW, etc.).

Overall, if we to MISSINGNO., I could accept that, as that is consistent with the glitch Pokémon articles, but MissingNo. would be consistent with the general standard for names.

I've changed my answer about the Wonder Launcher items. Merging them into Wonder Launcher would probably be for the best.
If everyone else thinks this is the best way, I will go with it. Personally, I would prefer to have Wonder Launcher have a quick list with each item and cost, and the separate page with full item templates, but this method doesn't bother me. Either way is better than what we do now.

Last edited:
I don't think this is such a bad option. All other glitch Pokémon are in the case they are in-game, so Missingno. should too. The reason this is an exception is because it was refereed to in that statement without a capital "issing".
i see where youre coming from but if you think about it, how would anyone know how to spell it if it didnt exist before? way back in '98, if i said "hey guys, i found a Pokemon called "missingno"! how would you spell it? as of the moment Missingno existed, it was only referred to as MISSINGNO. but you cant type what you dont know. if i said "i beat Portal and killed GLaDOS." and you had no idea who GLaDOS was, or how to spell her name, you would simply expect "Glados".

im not really swaying or defending one way or the other, but if i had to pick a way to list it, Missingno. or MISSINGNO. would be my suggestions. the former because of every other Pokemon (ie: capital in older games, but still spelled like a proper noun) and the latter for reasons explained (ie: the only way its officially spelled).

For #2 I don't see why they can't just go on the Wonder Launcher page. There's already a list of the items and their points cost on the Wonder Launcher page anyway. If required I can modify the template to account for extra differences. Such as allowing the main price to be a non-Pokedollar value.

#3 . . . To be honest, I don't really know.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom