• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Character customization

The trailers made it seem like they were going to expand at least a bit in the hair color department, but I guess that wasn't the case. Pretty disappointing, I was getting my hopes up about finally being able to have some unnatural hair colors like blue or green, but I guess I was being a bit too hopeful. Even these natural hair colors are kind of meh.

The hairstyles are much better than XY though, might still leave some to be desired in terms of more styles to choose from but they feel more, Idk... coherent this time? Just looking back at the XY hairstyles again and they look kind of odd now.

Huh, from what I've heard some clothing colours in shops are version exclusive and the only way to get the others are through dyes or buying from players wearing the other game's colours in the Festival Plaza. Warmer colours (Red/Yellow/Orange/Pink/Beige) in Sun, cooler colours (Blue, Green, Purple, Navy, Grey) in Moon.

Huh, from what I've heard some clothing colours in shops are version exclusive and the only way to get the others are through dyes or buying from players wearing the other game's colours in the Festival Plaza. Warmer colours (Red/Yellow/Orange/Pink/Beige) in Sun, cooler colours (Blue, Green, Purple, Navy, Grey) in Moon.
Interesting. I had noticed a distinct inability to get anything in those colours. I don't like this GF, not cool.

I was hoping to have more clothing options unlocked in the post-game, but no. The customization for guys is atrocious this game - the few clothes we have are basically the same few things with different designs. I played Moon as my main game so I could always restart/replay Sun, so the fact that I can't get red clothes so easily is super annoying.

I don't know if this is true since I barely touched Festival Plaza, but the dye system seems to exist solely to give the illusion of customization being more in-depth, when it's really there just to get clothes you could have gotten if they didn't make them version exclusive. Please tell me I'm wrong, and there's actually more to this than I'm seeing. Please.

All in all, I'm really disappointed with the feature's implementation this time around. XY's was flawed, but at least I could wear long pants in it. But on the plus side, I could dress my character up like a Crabominable. I wouldn't actually do it, since Crabominable is ugly and I hate it, but it's still nice.

As a guy with long hair, I'm disappointed that the male trainers still don't get longer hair styles, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised. "Long and Tousled" is fairly close to what I have, so I guess I'll be going with that.

Anyone know how to unlock the other hair and color options? Some are not there at the start. I heard you need to get to the postgame?

I know it likely will never happen anytime soon, but I would like them to take a page of Battle Revolution, with being able to not only choose the gender but basic 'body' type and style so you can play around with the characters age. It was by no means perfect back then but it would be a further step up.

For now still feels basic but confident they'll get better.

I haven't gotten through the whole game yet, but yeah I do wish their was more options for customization. Not a lot of cooler colors, and I now understand that it's cuz I'm playing Sun. That's a bit disappointing that I cant have my nice blue shirt, though I have to say I have found a few nice outfits for myself. I got a great hairstyle right on too, my trainer is kind of like me, but her hair's a little darker and a little longer than mine. Wish there was some dresses. Oh well, one day we'll have advanced customization. And that day will make me a happy camper.

This is only the second time that Game Freak has implemented customization into the main games, but it still needs work. They need more options for hair styles and the version exclusives between versions, I think color wise, is very odd. It is a little disappointing that there aren't any long pants here or anything like floral print button up shirts. I still managed to find a lot of clothing options I liked though and a good look for my trainer. I got hairstyle #5, the Lycanroc tanktop, beige cargo shorts, red athletic shoes, and a red athletic backpack. I am very thankful they brought it back still.

Someone on Twitter was kind enough to post the female hairstyles, and the hair, eye and lipstick colours.

I think I'm going for the medium and wavy style, it's so pretty and still looks good with a hat on. Also really like chin-length bob and romantic tuc though, can't choooose. Nevermind choosing the hair and eye colour, I'm going to be at the hairdresser for ages D:

Last edited:
Honestly, the customisation still needs work. There do seem to be some improvements, but other aspects have stayed still or even moved backwards! Like the lack of full length pants, what's up with that? Yeah, it's better than nothing, but I still feel like they could've put a little more effort into it. That said I have managed to find a look I like, and will probably stick with.

I think the lack of long pants is mostly due to the climate of the region. Naturally, the shops are selling clothes that make the most sense for people to wear in hot weather--so shorts, tank tops, t-shirts, etc.

You can actually make your own long pants via capris and socks of the same color. Just sayin'.

But yeah. I actually like this go around. most of the prints are unisex so like...I can actually wear the surfing pikachu tank that male trainer was wearing in that one trailer I liked.

But at the same time...girls still need more t-shirts. Like I'm guessing the tropical tank is a t-shirt on the guy's side considering Dexio which actually kind of sucks because I wear t-shirts more than tanks.

But at this point I'll take what I can get. and at least you're not forced to wear frilly girly things which is good. this is definitely a step forward from last time.

But at this point I'll take what I can get. and at least you're not forced to wear frilly girly things which is good. this is definitely a step forward from last time.

Yeah, I made a male character in Y because I didn't like the female customization options in that game. I still wish Sun and Moon had a wider variety of hairstyles, but I'm actually pretty content with the chin-length bob because that's pretty close to how I have my hair in real life. I'm happy enough with the clothing options so far, too!

Do the other islands have clothing shops as well? I haven't made it that far, yet.

Yes, that's true unless you can encounter someone from Moon version who wears those colors...then you can do it too. At least that's what most sites say. Also bear in mind that we cannot change the color of the clothes unless they are white and they can change only to the above colors. It's still dumb...

Really disappointed with the clothing options I've seen so far for the male character. The only options for shirts are tank tops or t shirts. This is supposed to be better than XY? How about some freaking Hawaiian shirts or something, I mean this region is based on Hawaii!

Really disappointed with the clothing options I've seen so far for the male character. The only options for shirts are tank tops or t shirts. This is supposed to be better than XY? How about some freaking Hawaiian shirts or something, I mean this region is based on Hawaii!
I'm happy with what we got, but come on! How do we not have those Hawaiian floral print shirts? Samson Oak got one. What about us?

Personally I think what there is now is great. I'd be nice if each shirt/item didn't have a different bar for each color (it kinda clutters the screen) but otherwise I'm not unhappy, especially now that we can take off our hats.

Sure, not saying they can't improve but in-depth customization isn't necessarily my priority in Pokémon games.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom