• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Charizard's return to the anime. For or against?

I wouldn't be bothered if Ash thought "Yeah I need to get some of my stronger, more experienced Pokemon back" then he could have sent all his Pokemon to Oak apart from Pikachu and Krookodile and brought back Charizard, Snorlax, Sceptile and Gliscor or something...

The only reason Charizard is the go to guy is because the Pokemon in the first generation had quite a strong character development, in recent times (not including this generation) Ambipom and Infernape were the only ones who had decent development. No one in the third generation had a good development, in my opinion.

I'm all for it. Charizard is probably the only one that can go up against Reshiram on his own. It's time Ash shows off his most powerful pokemon from the past

I am all for the Return of Charizard, when he returns, what New Moves do you think he will know? I think they could be either Blast Burn, Inferno, or Flair Blitz. So this what I think Lizardon will know and I am just all for his return a month from now.

It was disappointing for them to bring Charizard back only to do nothing with it. It was just a glorified nostalgia train ride to remind people of Ash's cool Charizard, but it just did nothing. A part of me is a bit bothered that it was able to just not train in the Charizard Valley after they made a big deal about that when it first happened, but at the same time, younger me would have been happy to know that Charizard would come back to Ash given how sad I was with that episode's ending, even if it meant that it wouldn't do anything afterwards.

I saw enough of Charizard everywhere to get sick of it.

Charizard is becoming the new Pikachu, shoved on us everywhere, it's annoying and boring.

I would be all for another Charizard return as long as it benefits the character's development. Its return for BW was a great nostalgia trip (apart from overhauling its old moveset - Dragonbreath, Overheat, Seismic Toss: BE GONE! Hullo there, generic Slash and slightly impressive Dragon Tail) that masked the deficiencies of the rest of the saga when it came to continuity, but then it barely did anything of note for the rest of its run out.

XY would have been the perfect opportunity for Charizard to return in the capacity mentioned above. I expected Mega Evolution to be a logical goal for both Ash and Charizard to strive towards from the moment that its Mega forms were unveiled (bond between trainer and Pokémon, and all that jazz), but Greninja ended up fulfilling that role. It's a shame that Mega Charizard Y ended up so horrifically under-represented in the XY saga, as opposed to its X counterpart (completely glorified under the ownership of Alan).

I imagine that the 20th movie will feature the 'Zard if it turns out to be a complete retrospective of Ash's Kanto adventures (and beyond?).

Last edited:
I was so sure that part of the reason they brought Charizard back in BW was so that Ash could get a Mega Charizard Y. It would have made up for doing nothing in BW and would have provided some reasoning behind its return beyond nostalgia. In retrospect, I can see why they didn't do that and I was fine with Greninja basically filling the role of Ash's Mega Pokemon with its Ash Greninja transformation. That conflict was one of the highlights of XY and gave Ash some surprisingly good character moments. Plus, giving him a Mega Pokemon along with the special Ash Greninja would have been overkill. Even so, it was still a shame that Mega Charizard Y was so underrepresented and Mega Charizard X was so glorified due to Alain being so overpowered himself.

I'm fine with them bringing Charizard back if they're actually going to use him. I was so hyped for his reappearance in BW, but he really didn't DO anything. Of course, I was still happy he came back, because I love continuity, but it really felt like a waste when he didn't accomplish anything.

Also, I hate that Ash's other Pokémon get the short end of the stick. I know Charizard is a popular Pokémon, but Ash has so many other Pokémon that we really don't ever get to see. So overall, I'd like to see more of Ash's old Pokémon show up, not just Charizard.

I'm fine with them bringing Charizard back if they're actually going to use him. I was so hyped for his reappearance in BW, but he really didn't DO anything. Of course, I was still happy he came back, because I love continuity, but it really felt like a waste when he didn't accomplish anything.

Also, I hate that Ash's other Pokémon get the short end of the stick. I know Charizard is a popular Pokémon, but Ash has so many other Pokémon that we really don't ever get to see. So overall, I'd like to see more of Ash's old Pokémon show up, not just Charizard.

Same. I won't mind if they bring back Charizard again but there's other Pokemon I'd rather see.

I was severely dissapointed Ash was not written as recalling his Charizard to Kalos for purposes of finding a mega stone. They snatched the chance from Glalie, Heracross, and.... the one that I really wanted to come back... Sceptile.

I'm kinda tired of all the Charizard exposure. Or more like, over-exposure. Ash's Charizard coming back in Best Wishes was just hype material and in the end he didn't accomplish anything. And then there was Alain's Charizard to deal with during XY&Z. I didn't really hate the two Charizards, but there's just been too much Charizard glorification that it's a little sickening. I guess popularity justifies all, but personally, Ash has other great pokemon he can work with and Gen7 should be promoting Gen7 pokemon.

Even though I understand he's overexposed I'm in favor. After best wishes and dusklops he could use a good win. Granted im in favor of Ash's Pokemon reappearing for league battles in general.

I would if prefer kingler or someone got an awesome fight but I'd take Charizard getting redemption over nothing.

Last edited:
I'm a bit of two minds, happy that he made a permanent return but hoping that he doesn't unnecessarily steal the spotlight if we ever see him again. What I'm more certain about is how thrilled I was to see him beat down Iris's Dragonite in a fair battle after that brute's ridiculous PWT Junior Cup rampages. Mamoswine should have won.

It was nice to see that Ash would bring Charizard Back and that he wouldn't be permanently with someone else like Squirtle and Primeape.

But Charizard duda nothing. It would have made more sense if he was brought during the League.

I hope that Ash brings more of his older Pokémon during the Alola League, especially his strongest like Sceptile and Infernape.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom